• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Anyone here have a recommendation on a good two way radio for communicating during hunting season? It would have to have enough power to cover 3/4 mile and transmit to deep ravines like the ones in Turkey Run State Park.

I'd appreciate any ideas or products worth evaluation.

Thanks

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I have 2 Motorola T700's that work great. I'm not sure if they will work in the setting that you are talking about though. Most radios are rated for distance on a straight, unobstructed line of site. I hunt in Yellowwood where there are some very deep ravines and have had good success with reaching my deer hunting buddies with the T700. Hope this has helped you. :)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    had good luck with the midlands but my Garmin Rhino 530 by far is the best FRS radio I've ever personally owned and or used, but sportsman guide has the midland radios reasonable

skier11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Bainbridge
    Just don't believe the range the companies claim. Not even close. Even on a lake I find they don't come close. They are very handy though for many things. Trips- traveling with muliple cars, skiing, beach, the mall......

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    We use Midland LXT. Good enough to cover a 250 acre farm in Kentucky. Says 20 miles, but is really good for about 3 with good sound. And I have the head sets that worked real good last year.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    cellphones are the best thing I've tried- even with the hi-dollar 2 way radios it seems they don't have the range they claim, and everybody and their brother is walking on you. If you can get a cell signal, they are hard to beat.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you want to use a radio (rather than a cell phone), you should really look into ham radio. I have a ham radio license and my handheld transceiver (HT) runs on 5 watts and can cover almost all of Allen county. Plus with repeaters setup all over the world, I can always (99.9999% of the time) get a hold of a repeater if I need something. And the repeater will retransmit my signal from anywhere from 50 to 200 watts covering several counties. It really is the way to go!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Anyone here have a recommendation on a good two way radio for communicating during hunting season? It would have to have enough power to cover 3/4 mile and transmit to deep ravines like the ones in Turkey Run State Park.

I'd appreciate any ideas or products worth evaluation.

Thanks

Use your cell phone.

Top Bottom