OSUT 260: Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Really! That's cool.
    I'm curious to know more.

When I built my sound reinforcement system in the late '70s/early '80s, I dissected three of the most popular brands of large bass horns to find out why they still S**K so bad in practice.
    Showco, Cerwin Vega and Peavey, large bass horns, each had horrid problems in use.

I was studying, learning, attending flash seminars, using equipment I could never afford to own as lab geek wannabe.

But I did not need advanced interferometry to discover where the horn throats were weak, lacked compression and the uneven flare rates were only barely OK.

I designed mine around an hyperbolic rate of flare, (truncated still) rather than the most common exponential flare rates.

Many designs barely improve on corner loading a direct radiator. Many fail because of sub-optimal driver design for horn loading right out of the gate. Truncated is pretty much a practical necessity, as is 1/4 wave length limitation. I didn't get very deep into the design theory, but am well aware of the costs/benefits of horns and the poor examples that were commercially offered. The designer I worked with was a very brilliant engineer, but extreme leftist views made him impossible for me to continue to do business with.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    It's been a good while, but I know for sure that Paul Wilbur Klipsch made some of the better designs and I believe published some valuable papers on horns. Not an endorsement of his company's newer offerings.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    It's been a good while, but I know for sure that Paul Wilbur Klipsch made some of the better designs and I believe published some valuable papers on horns. Not an endorsement of his company's newer offerings.
    Klipsch was one of the masters I tried to study, when I could find material by mail order. Not cheap or widely available.

Hope, AR wasn't exactly in my stomping grounds back then, but I had flown to Northridge, CA for JBL schools three times.
    Klipsch offered nothing comparable to JBL's in depth training flash courses.

I've owned La Scala and Heritage systems for in home listening in the past.
    Both great for certain things, but neither universal for all music in my book.

I've never let go of my JBL leanings, TBH.

Since before Y2K, I've been enamoured with open baffle efforts, mostly. That's something not many top manufacturers even try to dabble in.

I now use Lii Audio F15 in open baffles with some custom built for higher Qt, JBL frames I made up as a low end enhancement, bi-amped.
    Built myself.

Decware Zen tube amps in mono block for uppers across the F15s and McIntosh MC2500 via electronic XO on the JBL lowers. Low bi-amp signal derived from the Zen outputs.
    Best sound I've ever had.
    I've had stronger, but never more pure, open and "out of the way," invisible speaker systems.

Last edited:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    We did get a slight rain, which lasted maybe 5 min.
    Sun came back out and ten minutes later all evidence of rain was gone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It ended up raining pretty hard for a little bit, but I don't think it amounted to much. It's getting dark to the west but it looks like it might go south of us. The second line between along I-74 might make it.

1721851943386.png

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Klipsch was one of the masters I tried to study, when I could find material by mail order. Not cheap or widely available.

Hope, AR wasn't exactly in my stomping grounds back then, but I had flown to Northridge, CA for JBL schools three times.
    Klipsch offered nothing comparable to JBL's in depth training flash courses.

I've owned La Scala and Heritage systems for in home listening in the past.
    Both great for certain things, but neither universal for all music in my book.

I've never let go of my JBL leanings, TBH.

Since before Y2K, I've been enamoured with open baffle efforts, mostly. That's something not many top manufacturers even try to dabble in.

I now use Lii Audio F15 in open baffles with some custom built for higher Qt, JBL frames I made up as a low end enhancement, bi-amped.
    Built myself.

Decware Zen tube amps in mono block for uppers across the F15s and McIntosh MC2500 via electronic XO on the JBL lowers. Low bi-amp signal derived from the Zen outputs.
    Best sound I've ever had.
    I've had stronger, but never more pure, open and "out of the way," invisible speaker systems.

Certainly you've check out Linkwitz's website & designs?

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Certainly you've check out Linkwitz's website & designs?
    Yep. A bit of a fan. Read it all, understand most of it.

Built one of his dual H Frame bass baffles many years ago. Only I used two 15" Dayton IB drivers, juxtopposed, instead of the little 12 inchers he used.
    I still have those in the attic, somewhere.

Also doubled up the outer thickness (two layers of 3/4 MDF) and tripled the baffle thickness.
    Solid, stable, heavy, no flex!

Last edited:

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Yep. A bit of a fan.

Built one of his dual H Frame bass baffles many years ago. Only I used two 15" Dayton IB drivers, juxtopposed, instead of the little 12 inchers he used.
    I still have those in the attic, somewhere.

Also doubled up the outer thickness (two layers of 3/4 MDF) and tripled the baffle thickness.
    Solid, stable, no flex!

I really wanted to make a labyrinth IB with those Daytons.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom