• mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So, here's the guy who did it.
    article-2017709-0D1F33FB00000578-704_306x512.jpg

Doesn't look like your average muslim extremist. In fact he looks like pretty much every other Norwegian Freemason.

Norway attacks gunman Anders Behring Breivik was a right-wing extremist who hated Muslims | Mail Online

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Emailed my college room mate yesterday. He is in Oslo Norway.

He said upwards of 95 are dead at both sites. The guy just shot at the kids as he cornered them on a rocky edge of a lake. Some got away swimming to the other side. Some drowned and some were shot swimming away and they are searching the bottom for more kids.

It is very bad and people are angry.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    This is very sickening news. If someone has a problem with their government and goes to this extreme, why do they take it out on civilians?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    This is very sickening news. If someone has a problem with their government and goes to this extreme, why do they take it out on civilians?

Out of a desire to do something to make a statement but lacking the conviction to die for their belief. Civilians are soft targets that don't usually shoot back.

Gunmen like this are either mentally unbalanced (read crazy), or cowardly kittens (I would have used another word instead of kittens but the language filter would have edited it).

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's my take:

Gun laws in Norway are VERY strict. How did he get one?! It doesn't make sense!

If I were messed up enough to go on a freaking shooting spree, I'd probably pick a place where the civilians weren't allowed to carry guns, too.

It's a damn shame.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Out of a desire to do something to make a statement but lacking the conviction to die for their belief. Civilians are soft targets that don't usually shoot back.

Gunmen like this are either mentally unbalanced (read crazy), or cowardly kittens (I would have used another word instead of kittens but the language filter would have edited it).

While I don't disagree with your general sentiments, I disagree totally with your conclusions.

Terrorists, by definition, perform their acts to create fear in the population and anger at the authorities for "failing to prevent" the acts. This is done in order to advance the terrorists political objectives. Keeping this in mind, any action which inspires terror in the general population, weakens the established government, and creates doubt in the ability of the authorities to protect the population is worthwhile - in the minds of the terrorists.

Children are an especially good target to the terrorist because their deaths and injuries strike at the heart of the parents' basic love for their children and inspire appropriate fear in the hearts of other parents. It also generally inspires calls for "more action" on the part of the government, which, if it has not carefully considered its actions - or sometimes, even if it has considered them, begins to take repressive measures for "prevention". Eventually, the population gets more angry at the preventive measures than at the terrorists - which is a goal of the terrorists. Does anyone see a parallel between this scenario and our situation here in the US? We've already reached the point of rebellion at the actions of the TSA - the most easily visible of the "preventive" actions being taken to protect our population. Imagine how things might be after a series of similar attacks on our children. Of course, the difference between us and Norway is that large numbers of _our_ citizens have the means to protect themselves.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    While I don't disagree with your general sentiments, I disagree totally with your conclusions.

Terrorists, by definition, perform their acts to create fear in the population and anger at the authorities for "failing to prevent" the acts. This is done in order to advance the terrorists political objectives. Keeping this in mind, any action which inspires terror in the general population, weakens the established government, and creates doubt in the ability of the authorities to protect the population is worthwhile - in the minds of the terrorists.

Children are an especially good target to the terrorist because their deaths and injuries strike at the heart of the parents' basic love for their children and inspire appropriate fear in the hearts of other parents. It also generally inspires calls for "more action" on the part of the government, which, if it has not carefully considered its actions - or sometimes, even if it has considered them, begins to take repressive measures for "prevention". Eventually, the population gets more angry at the preventive measures than at the terrorists - which is a goal of the terrorists. Does anyone see a parallel between this scenario and our situation here in the US? We've already reached the point of rebellion at the actions of the TSA - the most easily visible of the "preventive" actions being taken to protect our population. Imagine how things might be after a series of similar attacks on our children. Of course, the difference between us and Norway is that large numbers of _our_ citizens have the means to protect themselves.

I agree with your post, however I consider those who commit terroristic acts as the "cowardly kittens". There is no honor in killing children, for any reason.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    A gunman who opened fire on an island teeming with young people kept shooting for 1.5 hours before surrendering to a SWAT team, which arrived 40 minutes after they were called, police said Saturday

When you surrender your right to defend yourself, and rely on the government to do it for you, an armed perpetrator can shoot at you for 1.5 hours w/o anyone stopping him.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    A gunman who opened fire on an island teeming with young people kept shooting for 1.5 hours before surrendering to a SWAT team, which arrived 40 minutes after they were called, police said Saturday

Where were the regular police? Why did they wait 50 mins before calling SWAT? This shooting, and the response to it, are just disgusting. Very, very sad.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    this guy may be a ****-poor example of a human being. Anybody who does what he did needs the chair. However, this is a coordinated attack that was carried out very effectively. I don't know of any other example where a lone man was able to kill 80 people with a firearm in such a short amount of time. This is why we carry our own firearms, not everybody that poses a threat to us is going to be some jackass holding his POS pistol sideways.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The police had a hard time getting there because he was on an island and shot at the approaching boats.

Regardless, I just can't imagine that he was able to shoot for an hour and a half.

And they say he was very anti-Muslim and the death toll on the island alone is 85 with up to 5 still missing.

And the island camp was called "Utopia"! How sad...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    this guy may be a ****-poor example of a human being. Anybody who does what he did needs the chair. However, this is a coordinated attack that was carried out very effectively. I don't know of any other example where a lone man was able to kill 80 people with a firearm in such a short amount of time. This is why we carry our own firearms, not everybody that poses a threat to us is going to be some jackass holding his POS pistol sideways.
    Norway's maximum penalty is 21 years in prison. That's the most that he can reasonably be expected to get, from what I've read on their system.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree with your post, however I consider those who commit terroristic acts as the "cowardly kittens". There is no honor in killing children, for any reason.

While a coward _may_ do such a thing, and I agree there is no honor in doing such things, "honor" means almost nothing to a terrorist; results matter more than almost anything else. Someone who is not afraid to be killed may commit such acts to maximize their terrorizing effectiveness, rather than to avoid death. While I hold no affection for anyone who deliberately commits an act of terror, it's a mistake to get in the habit of characterizing your enemy as a "coward"; you may discover to your dismay and defeat that he is not. Ask the former South Vietnamese or any of our Vietnam vets who fought the VC and the NVA. Not only might they not be cowards, but if you're not careful, they may out-think and out-fight you, by continually striking where you are weakest and not striking where you think they will.

bhvostal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Allen County
    The left is going to be in orgasm. Right wing Christian fundamentalist who loved guns and spoke out against multiculturalism. Big Sis has to be thinking, see my profile is right.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/world/europe/24oslo.html?_r=2&partner=MYWAY&ei=5065

The orgasm may be short lived, as if memory serves, they tried to tag Jared Loughner the very same way. That lasted what maybe 48-72 hours, and then they realized his motivation wasn't right wing but one of being a bird brain koo koo. Granted the attempt will be made, as the bullseye on Christianity gets a bit bigger every day. From the following article it would appear that they(the media) are losing steam:

Gunman's background puzzles police in Norway | AP World News - The News Tribune

As far as Big Sis goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq22FWvQCnQ

I think a lot more will be uncovered in the next couple of days, showing him to be Norway's version of Loughner. Time will tell though. Regardless, what a senseless tragedy.

~ Brian

Top Bottom