• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Didn't Indiana used to allow open carry without a permit?

I swore this was the case back in like '99...

Just curious, this has been driving me crazy for the past couple years... Pretty much ever since I got back into shooting..

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My dad, had an LTCH, back in the '70's, when you had to write a letter explaining WHY you wanted to carry ..... I have one since 19 82 I think, too long ago, to remember for sure.....

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I got my first one back in the 80's also. However, I do specifically remember one requirement to get it was you had to state the reason that you "needed one".

My stated reason was: "I've got to carry weapons, 'cuase I allways carry cash." :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    when i got my first one in the 80s I remember the letter requirement being there, but all you had to say was "personal protection" or "see Indiana constitution"..
    there had been some lawsuit over the proof of need requirment..

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Didn't Indiana used to allow open carry without a permit?

I swore this was the case back in like '99...

No. This is called Kirk's First Law of the Internet: the laws of other states are transplanted into Indiana law via gun shop and Internet chatter.

A few years after statehood (1816) Indiana prohibited carrying concealed weapons unless travelling which was a Southern trend in the law. Back then it was thought that only troublemakers concealed weapons (later after WWII Speedway, Indiana prohibited concealed weapons because of Southern immigration and weekend violence).

Later in 1935 Indiana adopted some provisions the Uniform Firearms Act (a "model act" drawn up in a faculty lounge and sent to various states) which required a license to carry (openly or concealed) any handgun. From 1935 until 1980 many counties (especially those counties with Catholic or African-American populations) required a "proper reason" (outside of self defense) to carry a handgun.

The Indiana Supreme Court upheld the LCTH requirement in Matthews as it deemed the legislature had an interest in controlling concealable weapons. http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/matthews_v_state.txt

In 1980 the Indiana Court of Appeals shot this "proper reason" requirement down in Schubert v. DeBard. The court held that self defense was a proper reason for a LTCH. http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/schubert_v_debard.txt

There have been other developments in Indiana case law, however to answer your question, no, in 1999 Indiana required a LTCH to carry a handgun, openly or concealed, unless you had a badge or qualified for other exemptions from the law.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Courts are obsessed with concealability. Read the opinion in Indiana's switchblade case in which they hold a switchblade is more concealable than a regular knife thus it is OK to ban it.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/03240905ebb.pdf

It's the old "heads we win, tail you lose" of governmental analysis, the irrebuttable governmental Knight's Fork. If you carry openly, you are a cowboy looking for trouble. If you conceal you are a sneaky criminal looking for trouble.:rolleyes:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    No. This is called Kirk's First Law of the Internet: the laws of other states are transplanted into Indiana law via gun shop and Internet chatter.

A few years after statehood (1816) Indiana prohibited carrying concealed weapons unless travelling which was a Southern trend in the law. Back then it was thought that only troublemakers concealed weapons (later after WWII Speedway, Indiana prohibited concealed weapons because of Southern immigration and weekend violence).

Later in 1935 Indiana adopted some provisions the Uniform Firearms Act (a "model act" drawn up in a faculty lounge and sent to various states) which required a license to carry (openly or concealed) any handgun. From 1935 until 1980 many counties (especially those counties with Catholic or African-American populations) required a "proper reason" (outside of self defense) to carry a handgun.

The Indiana Supreme Court upheld the LCTH requirement in Matthews as it deemed the legislature had an interest in controlling concealable weapons. http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/matthews_v_state.txt

In 1980 the Indiana Court of Appeals shot this "proper reason" requirement down in Schubert v. DeBard. The court held that self defense was a proper reason for a LTCH. http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bardwell/schubert_v_debard.txt

There have been other developments in Indiana case law, however to answer your question, no, in 1999 Indiana required a LTCH to carry a handgun, openly or concealed, unless you had a badge or qualified for other exemptions from the law.

Great history lesson, Kirk!! +1!!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

So CC was considered thuggish eh? I knew there is a reason I like to OC. :D

Good info Kirk....thanks!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So CC was considered thuggish eh?

Yes. Those carrying "hidden guns" were thought to have less than pure motives. An honest man openly carried his guns.

Shortly after statehood Indiana had only two "gun laws", a prohibition on carrying concealed except when travelling and duelling. (Did you note that Gov. Daniels in his most recent State of the State address made reference to a duel in the General Assembly where the participants travelled to Kentucky to stage a Bowie knife duel to avoid Indiana's prohibition?).

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    WOW, thank you for the amazing responses!!

As it turns out, whoever told me this back then was a complete idiot... :D

Go figure, right!?

Thanks again, I seriously appreciate the info!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yes. Those carrying "hidden guns" were thought to have less than pure motives. An honest man openly carried his guns.

Shortly after statehood Indiana had only two "gun laws", a prohibition on carrying concealed except when travelling and duelling. (Did you note that Gov. Daniels in his most recent State of the State address made reference to a duel in the General Assembly where the participants travelled to Kentucky to stage a Bowie knife duel to avoid Indiana's prohibition?).

Awesome. Thanks for the new sig line. :+1:

Top Bottom