• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Only one knife in a SHFT scenario? Easy, a Swiss Army Knife, you know a Victorinox.
    That would be knife 2 for me. These are great little knives. I recently bought 5 on eBay for about $25. I put one in each car, and one in each range bag. One will go in my BOB.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Gerber Multi tool or the like, it's all the tools you will need in one package.

I'm suprised other than a leatherman here or there and the swiss army that more of you have not gone this route.

If you can only have ONE, make the most out of that ONE. Can I cut down a tree with it, yes, can I make a spear out of it, yes, can I use it to gut wire, yes....on and on and on a multi tool goes.

I used my issued Gerber for everything when I was in Afghanistan, up to and including first aide.

:twocents:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm with DoubleT here: unless I'm in the shower or boarding an airplane, I have at least 3 knives with me at all times; a Leatherman multitool, a Leatherman folder, and a Buck folder (and a Leatherman Micro as well).

If you tied me down and made me choose; I'd take the multitool - and build the tools to make three more knives.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    As a former SERE instructor I was told and did tell people to get the best tool YOU can afford that fits YOUR skill set and needs. What I found was the old saying " You can use a big knife for small jobs but you can't use a small knife for big jobs." The chances of ever only having one blade to chose from now is not realistic, FOR ME, but it's still a fun game.
    Oh well, what the hell do I know anyway?:dunno:

Bob

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Up until yesterday I would have said my ESEE laser strike, but today I can now say a Swamp Rat Ratmandu, this is one really awesome blade...

IMG_4352.jpg

Borrowed the picture but it looks just like this.

Although my leatherman multi tool would be my second choice.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    beat the crap out of it and get it really dull, then see how the lansky works.

Neither my lansky or strops have to this thing sharp again.

What angle are you using?
    I used it as a shovel to dig a couple of hasty's out in the 'stan. I have used it to chop banding on ammo crates. I have cut brush up with it for fuel. I have been anything but nice to it. I will admit after the shovel incident I had to use a file on it and take out a couple of knicks.

I have no clue what the angle of the sticks are. I use a 4 stick Turn Box Sharpener by Lansky, and an old scrap of leftover Harness Leather. :dunno:

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I am also interested in a good option for that "one" knife. It's interesting that so many different blades are being suggested here, but few, if any, are mentioned by more than one person.

Interesting and frustrating. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Yup...

But mine says RAT Cutlery on the blade... ;)

Thanks! That's what I thought. Is there any difference in steele/shape/size/etc? But I mostly wanted to make sure you didn't mean the Ontario Rat 4.

..and then when I google it they seem to be the same thing, but with different company names? What? My head hurts...:dunno:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Thanks! That's what I thought. Is there any difference in steele/shape/size/etc? But I mostly wanted to make sure you didn't mean the Ontario Rat 4.

..and then when I google it they seem to be the same thing, but with different company names? What? My head hurts...:dunno:

There was some issue between Ontario and RAT about the name of the RAT Cutlery. So Randall Adventure Training renamed RAT Cutlery ESEE...

To the best of my limited knowledge everything else about the RC-4 and the ESEE-4 are the same...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Jeff and Mike (owners of ESEE) changed the name from Rat Cutlery to ESEE so there would be less confusion between them and the RAT knives made by Ontario.
    Rat Cutlery knives are designated with a tang stamp of "RC" and the Ontario versions are stamped "RAT". The Rat Cutlery knives are exactly the same as the ESEE knives with the exception of the name change.

Top Bottom