• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    On a wet dreary March day, I determined to stop and take a picture of any old barns and buildings along my way in the Southern Indiana towns of Salem and Pekin. These are probably just a small sampling of the old buildings in that area that still stand from "days of old". The video depicts mostly barns, but you'll see a spring house, an old house - probably servant's quarters and an outhouse. There's also an image of an old soul, starting intently at me, apparently wondering what I'm all about as I try to capture in pictures how these structures make me feel.

Many of these building were probably erected by our grandfathers' fathers ... It seems nearly impossible that they've stood up against all the years and nature's abuse. But there they are ... still standing while the men and women who raised them are long gone and many forgotten. Some are still used for barns, others for storage. But a few just stand. Like monuments. They seem to have almost evolved from the land, like they're as old as the rocks and trees - or even older. They give me a sense of peace while reminding me of my own mortality. They seem to say, "we'll be still be here when you're gone, but don't worry ... we'll remember."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbTTRk_glw0

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Very Nice Mackey, I really liked that music too.

I recognize some of those barns. I love old barns but it's a shame to see so many of them in disrepair and not being used any more.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Very nice .. Music fit too.

I saw a few distlefink hex signs on several. Those are neat.

The stories they could tell if they could talk.....

Thanks for sharing..

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Very nice video by the way! You have found some very neat barns!

If you ever make it up this way on river road/146th street there are several farm structures that are just massive that are no longer in use. I've wanted to contact the owners for years now but I'm just not sure how.

I also enjoy a similar hobby, mine is abandoned and vacant houses and buildings. So many neat houses and buildings just rot or get destroyed these days and I take pictures of them to make sure we remember their place in history. You might like this barn I found last year in hamilton county. It now sits on a property with a vacant house surrounded by new subdivisions.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Here's a few more:

Highway 135, near Story, IN
    Barn2.jpg

On Highway 135, near Story, Indiana (can't remember if it's north or south of Story).
    Barn9.jpg

If I remember correctly, this one is on Highway 278, near Double Springs, Alabama.
    barn.jpg

Mabry Mill, Blue Ridge Parkway, Meadows Dan, VA.
    487d.jpg

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nice show. There's a nice old barn that I pass by everyday that I noticed finally collapsed a week or 2 ago.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Mark 1911 where was the water wheel?....

That's called the Mabry Mill. It's on the Blue Ridge Parkway, in Meadows Dan, VA. They say it's the most visited attaction along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I believe they are currently in the process of restoring the water wheel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom