• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just ordered two tires off of Amazon for at least $150 less than I could find the same tires anywhere else. I'll be taking them to the tire place this week to be mounted and balanced and put on the front of my truck. I was expecting to pay at least $500 for two but got lucky and found something good for right around $350. Free shipping and they were here in two days. The Duratracs I have on the back have gone up to at least $250 a tire since I bought mine last year.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I just ordered two tires off of Amazon for at least $150 less than I could find the same tires anywhere else. I'll be taking them to the tire place this week to be mounted and balanced and put on the front of my truck. I was expecting to pay at least $500 for two but got lucky and found something good for right around $350. Free shipping and they were here in two days. The Duratracs I have on the back have gone up to at least $250 a tire since I bought mine last year.
    I got under that quite a bit. $157 (minus $15.70 for Blue-ID Mafia discount) each for 65K mile Generals. This is a Ranger with 15" wheels. Not the original sized tires (Firestone's app said they wouldn't fit. Funny, the truck says otherwise)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I got under that quite a bit. $157 (minus $15.70 for Blue-ID Mafia discount) each for 65K mile Generals. This is a Ranger with 15" wheels. Not the original sized tires (Firestone's app said they wouldn't fit. Funny, the truck says otherwise)
    Mine were bigger tires for the 3/4 ton suburban. 245 75R16. I wanted something with good tread for winter driving so got something a bit grippier but not as grippy as the Duratracs on the back.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    To say it's a low-mileage vehicle is a bit of an understatement. A 1997 with 156K, people keep wanting to buy it for some reason. $40K to replace it (I paid $3,800 in 2014) I'm planning to keep it forever.

Had to put 4 on my wife's CRV a while back (17" Bridgestones) that was a bit scary.

Generals (replacing 2) were a bit less than Firestones on it (although they are up to LE3 in the Destination tires, have LE2s on it.)

View attachment 307051
    Always thought that these body style Rangers were some of the most reliable vehicles Ford ever made. Plus they look good.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I did that once, I hope you went through Amazon to get them mounted and balanced or have someone you know to do it.
    The local chains like Tire Barn wanted $3.00 a rim inch $40.00 to mount and balance. Bella wanted $4.00 and inch $60.00.
    My local guy told me $100.00 cash, guess who did the job.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Always thought that these body style Rangers were some of the most reliable vehicles Ford ever made. Plus they look good.
    I'm a GM guy, I just ended up with two Ford trucks. a CC dually 7.3 diesel 4X4 and the 4X4 Ranger. Both have just been good reliable trucks.I'm a Redneck The Ranger sits up with being a 4X4 and since I put 31" 10.50's on it.
    It just sits Just Right Now...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I did that once, I hope you went through Amazon to get them mounted and balanced or have someone you know to do it.
    The local chains like Tire Barn wanted $3.00 a rim inch $40.00 to mount and balance. Bella wanted $4.00 and inch $60.00.
    My local guy told me $100.00 cash, guess who did the job.
    The place in town has done them pretty reasonably. If the prices have gone up, I'll just have hubby mount them and take them in to be balanced.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I took 4 used tires to my tire guy and he charged me $125 to mount and balance. I was rather shocked, but he's still my tire guy, best prices on new sets and no salesman bs.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I took 4 used tires to my tire guy and he charged me $125 to mount and balance. I was rather shocked, but he's still my tire guy, best prices on new sets and no salesman bs.
    Thats a deal in the New World. Tire Barn has always been my go too, they couldn't get what I needed. I'm not loyal with any tire business's any longer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I bought the last two and the two before from eBay. Great pricing that seems to vary around, according to season and demand? Like Amazon, free shipping to your door.

I noticed a set of four tires on the UPS truck (for someone else) some years back. Asked the driver if they were going to a shop? "No, we deliver to rural residences like this all the time." Hmmm... :scratch:

I mounted and "balanced" them myself. The first set I had balanced at a small shop in a small town. The kind gent doing the balance confessed that he hardly had to add any weights at all. I asked him outright if I could have run them as were, without balancing. He told me I would have been fine. Next set, I just mounted and they are rolling fine.

Mounting car tires by hand is not for the timid, but I have mounted and balanced a few sets of motorcycle tires and know how to use the YouTube. :)

Interesting thing about the never heard of name of tire I got from eBay is that they had marked spots that resemble the same spots on the side of motorcycle tires, indicating where the valve stem should be positioned. Tire guy who did my balancing didn't know anything about the spots, but I positioned them the same as motorcycle tires. :dunno:

Between materials and labor and covid anything else they want to blame things on, tire prices are insane, as they have been for the last few years.

;)

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I bought the last two and the two before from eBay. Great pricing that seems to vary around, according to season and demand? Like Amazon, free shipping to your door.

I noticed a set of four tires on the UPS truck (for someone else) some years back. Asked the driver if they were going to a shop? "No, we deliver to rural residences like this all the time." Hmmm... :scratch:

I mounted and "balanced" them myself. The first set I had balanced at a small shop in a small town. The kind gent doing the balance confessed that he hardly had to add any weights at all. I asked him outright if I could have run them as were, without balancing. He told me I would have been fine. Next set, I just mounted and they are rolling fine.

Mounting car tires by hand is not for the timid, but I have mounted and balanced a few sets of motorcycle tires and know how to use the YouTube. :)

Interesting thing about the never heard of name of tire I got from eBay is that they had marked spots that resemble the same spots on the side of motorcycle tires, indicating where the valve stem should be positioned. Tire guy who did my balancing didn't know anything about the spots, but I positioned them the same as motorcycle tires. :dunno:

Between materials and labor and covid anything else they want to blame things on, tire prices are insane, as they have for the last few years.

He
    ;)
    Hubby has mounted quite a few and many have been run without balancing, but he suggested I take them to the shop this time. I have everything loaded in my truck so I can just drop them off and then pick them up when they get them done. He's done a lot of motorcycle tires.

Top Bottom