• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    ^I'm in the same boat with him. Moved here in March of last year. Jumped through Ohio hoops in the past but glad to be rid of them... though I do go back there every couple of weeks to visit family and friends.

The Ohio Attorney General puts out a Concealed Carry Guidelines book. I just perused the pages and didn't see anything specifically related to carry by visitors Under 21 but it says it is legal for visitors to carry on their home state's license while temporarily in Ohio. Right after that it says you must follow Ohio laws while in Ohio. I honestly don't know the rules specifically regarding carry by Under 21 but I know Ohio doesn't issue permits to people under 21 so you're on that slippery slope of "nobody really knows." Personally, I'd carry. If they raise a stink, ask them why they'll honor your gay marriage but not your carry license. Take it to SCOTUS. Win.

...then we can stop asking for permission to exercise our rights.

Also, if you do head over to OFCC or BFA (Ohio's much lamer forms of INGO) be sure to call it a permit instead of a license. They love that!

Yeah! Honestly, I wish I could give him a good answer. Of all the things we discussed or argued about on those boards, this didn't come up to my recollection. I wouldn't want to be the test case.... but someone out there, perhaps as yet unborn, will be.

Chris

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    That's one reason why I don't advertise with bumper stickers. The only thing you can guess about me by looking at the back of my car is that I bought a Chevrolet. There's always the chance you'll run into a jerk cop, but in my years in Ohio, I didn't. I was stopped a few times and it went alright. maybe I was lucky.

TheHive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    I have a question, Can they confiscate your weapon if you stop in a rest area and they pull your over in the rest area? I notice on 75 they seem to like to use those areas for radar and such.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    That's one reason why I don't advertise with bumper stickers.
    I have lots of stickers. And a minor criminal record so, in Ohio, when they stop me they get the bing for CHL, criminal record, and then they walk past the stickers. Just about every time the very first question - even before salutations - is, "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?"

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Ohio being an "inform when stopped" state, I assume you must also inform if the hand gun is locked in an approved case???

Well... They are more concerned with whether or not it is loaded. If it's unloaded and locked in a case then no, you won't need to inform immediately. Remember that Ohio considers a firearm loaded if there is any ammunition in magazines or speedloaders. Since I always had at least one handgun in the vehicle I was always of a mindset that I needed to inform. Long guns are treated differently as well. You may not transport them with loaded magazines inserted into the firearm. If you have a CHL you may have ammunition in the magazines, just keep them out of the rifle.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well... They are more concerned with whether or not it is loaded. If it's unloaded and locked in a case then no, you won't need to inform immediately. Remember that Ohio considers a firearm loaded if there is any ammunition in magazines or speedloaders. Since I always had at least one handgun in the vehicle I was always of a mindset that I needed to inform. Long guns are treated differently as well. You may not transport them with loaded magazines inserted into the firearm. If you have a CHL you may have ammunition in the magazines, just keep them out of the rifle.

For the duty to inform, you are correct. Here is the code.
    (E) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following:

(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;

For the unloaded, partially.

There are two "definitions" of unloaded for OH. There can be magazines/speed loaders with ammo in them if...
    (a) "Unloaded" means
    , with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:
    (i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

And here is the definition for the container.

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;
    (ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    You have no duty to inform if you're "transporting" but you will more than likely be scrutinized for not immediately informing if there's a loaded (or unloaded according to the law) handgun anywhere in the vehicle.

Remember, the law doesn't always stop police from "doing their job."

JoeG1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    Greenwood
    great app in the apple app store "ccw" you can bring up any state you are going to. You can even allow your gps to determine what state you are in. It will give you all the local laws.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I stand partially corrected. I seem to remember they did tweak that awhile back to make it easier for unlicensed persons to transport loaded magazines to the range. It's still silly.

Top Bottom