• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Unfortunately, even with firearms, familiarity breeds contempt. Everyone occasionally needs to step back and reevaluate their daily actions to make sure they are not going to become a bad example for everyone else to learn from and talk about.

You are absolutely correct. Several years ago, I burned wood as the sole source of heat in my large old home. I had and was using 3 or 4 chainsaws at the time with my sons. After reading about all the chains accidents and finding almost all the serious accidents happened to "experienced" sawyers. I spent quite a bit of time with my sons doing safety talks and reviewing the use of our saws. It apparently worked as we never had a serious accident in the 8 to 10 years of felling trees and cutting 10 to 15 cord of wood a year.

Firearms seem to follow the same trend, at this time in history more "Newbies" have and are using firearms than ever before, but many of the accidents are happening to us, the experienced shooters with many years of safe firearm handling and use. As you have stated we really need to step back and re-evaluate our respect and handling of these tools as they, like chainsaws, have the potential to cause serious injury or even death to ourselves or other innocent persons when mishandled.

Top Bottom