• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Came home yesterday from Drummond Island, MI. Rearflankdowndraft and I went there to work the ARRL VHF QSO party from a rare location. While there we drove some of the 4x4 trails. The pictures don't show how rugged they were. I couldn't drive the rough parts and take pictures at the same time. I will try to post more when I get some from rearflankdowndraft.
    Parked along the side of one of the better roads. This picture was taken a couple miles after I went through a spot so narrow that I broke the air dam on the hood.
    DSC_8323.jpg

Just after the other picture was taken. Yes, the truck is dirty.
    DSC_8324.jpg

One picture of the location of our radio station.
    DSC_8325.jpg

most of Drummond Island is limestone rock with very little topsoil. driving the "roads" was like driving up and down stairs.

This isn't my video but it is what we were driving in.
    YouTube - Drummond Island Jeep deep water holes

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have wanted to visit Drummond for YEARS. Beautiful area up there. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't quite follow the alphabet soup at the beginning of your post. I'm guessing HAM radio?

BTW: If your headlights are visible, then the water/mud hole isn't considered "deep" :-)

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I have wanted to visit Drummond for YEARS. Beautiful area up there. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't quite follow the alphabet soup at the beginning of your post. I'm guessing HAM radio?

BTW: If your headlights are visible, then the water/mud hole isn't considered "deep" :-)

Yes, Ham radio. September Very High Frequency Contest. We worked 3 VHF/UHF (Ultra High Frequency) bands. When I'm ready to post my ham radio pictures I will post a link here so you can go to the thread and see more of Drummond Island. I'll leave this thread for 4x4 and ORV. But, GO to Drummond Island. You won't regret it. You may come home tired. Your 4x4 will be more dirty than when you went. If your seat belts aren't tight your head may have bruises. But you will have fun. :D

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/109641-dx-pedition_to_drummond_island.html#post1306259 Link to Ham Radio thread.

Last edited:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    DZ > hmmm, I don't even like driving on dry pavement in regular 4x4, let alone with a "lincoln locker", maybe you know something I don't, care to expand?
    To the other poster, If you are going to depend on this rig to get you there, and back. I wouldn't weld it, just get a real locker....

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    DZ > hmmm, I don't even like driving on dry pavement in regular 4x4, let alone with a "lincoln locker", maybe you know something I don't, care to expand?
    To the other poster, If you are going to depend on this rig to get you there, and back. I wouldn't weld it, just get a real locker....

The binding caused by using 4wd on the road with a part time system is way worse. Additionally, most vehicles have some means by which the front axle can be released, either by a center axle disconnect or hubs.

Even absent hubs, other than driving on ice, driving with the front end locked isn't that big of a deal. A basically trail-only vehicle won't be that bad when welded up front, and it's a LOT better than being without anything offroad.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The binding caused by using 4wd on the road with a part time system is way worse. Additionally, most vehicles have some means by which the front axle can be released, either by a center axle disconnect or hubs.

Even absent hubs, other than driving on ice, driving with the front end locked isn't that big of a deal. A basically trail-only vehicle won't be that bad when welded up front, and it's a LOT better than being without anything offroad.

Keep in mind fellas, we are talking about a Cherokee, that's a Dana 30, welding the gears and locking a Dana 30 is just asking for stuff to break
    which is why i discouraged the idea of welding them. It sounds as though this will get quite a bit of highway time, so.... :)

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    it took my dana 30 a while to break, and thats only cause i had to drive home in fwd after a break. its built now and will hopefully last a little longer :)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm always surprised how long a Dana 30 can hold together. A friend drove one home from Silverlake after bending it into a nice smiley (big air, hard landing). They just aren't designed for any real abuse, though.

That said, I kept snapping shafts in my 44 until I went with chromoly. Now I break other parts :-(

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    The only thing I broke on my '89 Cherokee was the U-bolt retainers on the drive shaft. Never broke anything mechanical on my Samurai, and I had a lockrite on that.

Breakage is often more a function of how big the tires are, how much horsepower you have, the terrain, and how much you mash the gas pedal. Parts themselves are usually strong enough for what the factory intended them for. Go far beyond that, and you'll start breaking things. Also the more you stress the parts, the sooner they will break.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I remember those days. 78 full size blazer with 38" with lockers. That thing would go anywhere. Hard to find a place to go these days. We use to play in the river and and old rock quarry.Lot of lime pits and some huge hills almost straight up. Lots of fun.
    Great pics.We never thought to take pics. Have fun

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Parts themselves are usually strong enough for what the factory intended them for. Go far beyond that, and you'll start breaking things.
    Yeah, that's been my problem. I don't think the factory ever intended my Jeep to have 37's, spool/locker, and an affinity for vertical surfaces.

Other than a driveshaft last spring, the CJ has been pretty solid this year. I can drop $$$ on upgrades, rather than repairs for once!

Downzero: sounds like you and I have about the same luck!

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The only thing I broke on my '89 Cherokee was the U-bolt retainers on the drive shaft. Never broke anything mechanical on my Samurai, and I had a lockrite on that.

Breakage is often more a function of how big the tires are, how much horsepower you have, the terrain, and how much you mash the gas pedal. Parts themselves are usually strong enough for what the factory intended them for. Go far beyond that, and you'll start breaking things. Also the more you stress the parts, the sooner they will break.

I would say that breakage is more connected to controlling dynamic load than anything else. Stuff tends to break when you're bouncing or gaining/losing traction. Most things, even if they're utterly undersized for the vehicle, will hold up pretty good until you get bound up or start bouncing.

I agree that the stuff you're talking about is a factor, but I think that controlling dynamic load is, by itself, more valuable than almost any amount of larger/heavier duty parts.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom