• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'll assert the Constitution.

I'm sure you won't mind citing the portion of the constitution that grants the Federal Government the authority to fund R&D into rare diseases. I'll wait.

You reference a website titled Police State. Anarchy is so 1890's.

I'm referencing myself. I wrote that article, and included sources for each historical fact presented.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's that whole "providing for the general welfare" thing.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    It's that whole "providing for the general welfare" thing.

Most misused clause with the exception of the commerce clause.

from the 2nd amendment to the general welfare clause, its amazing how things are interpreted using modern parlance and completely ignoring the men who actually wrote it.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think it's broader than a one point "fix", print. We have to decide whether we are solely an economic enterprise...a collection of shopkeepers and corporations...or whether we are a society based on democratic principles.

Economics are always important, but so is the social good. I don't want to debate it. There are hardened positions here, so argument serves little purpose.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Economics are always important, but so is the social good.

Then donate your own money to the social good, and I'll donate mine to the things I believe are good.

I don't want to debate it. There are hardened positions here, so argument serves little purpose.

I'm not going to let you push your collectivist BS unchecked. If you don't want to debate it then stop debating it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Most misused clause with the exception of the commerce clause.

from the 2nd amendment to the general welfare clause, its amazing how things are interpreted using modern parlance and completely ignoring the men who actually wrote it.
    Agreed.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Then donate your own money to the social good, and I'll donate mine to the things I believe are good.
    I'm not going to let you push your collectivist BS unchecked. If you don't want to debate it then stop debating it.

You don't get those choices in a representative democracy, Steve. But, I've been reading your postings for more than a few months and it is entirely clear you don't like representative democracy.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    You don't get those choices in a representative democracy, Steve. But, I've been reading your postings for more than a few months and it is entirely clear you don't like representative democracy.

Did you know that you can be a part of a representative democracy and still vote for small government?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Please don't contribute at all to our society, Steve. I'd be glad to write a letter to Trump or whoever asking that you be exempt from all responsibilities as a citizen yet retain all the benefits incumbent thereto.

How is Steve "not contributing to society"?
    Because he believes it should be up to individuals?

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011

I don't know how many times I have to tell people this, but we are in no way a democracy. We are a constitutional republic. It must be the public education that teaches this because I don't know how anyone can use the term democracy to describe our country. Democracy is mob rule, 50% of the population wants to take all of Joe's money, then Joe has lost his money.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know how many times I have to tell people this, but we are in no way a democracy. We are a constitutional republic. It must be the public education that teaches this because I don't know how anyone can use the term democracy to describe our country. Democracy is mob rule, 50% of the population wants to take all of Joe's money, then Joe has lost his money.

:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Uh.....we used to be. Any more.....:dunno:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Widespread Direct democracy could lead to mob rule. The terms Representative Constitutional Republic and Representative Democracy both work. This article by Eugene Volokh explains the difference.

To be sure, in addition to being a representative democracy, the United States is also a constitutional democracy, in which courts restrain in some measure the democratic will. And the United States is therefore also a constitutional republic. Indeed, the United States might be labeled a constitutional federal representative democracy. But where one word is used, with all the oversimplification that this necessary entails, “democracy” and “republic” both work. Indeed, since direct democracy — again, a government in which all or most laws are made by direct popular vote — would be impractical given the number and complexity of laws that pretty much any state or national government is expected to enact, it’s unsurprising that the qualifier “representative” would often be omitted. Practically speaking, representative democracy is the only democracy that’s around at any state or national level.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...states-of-america-a-republic-or-a-democracy/?

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

There is a difference between a "democracy" and a "representative democracy". You can see that I said "representative democracy".

Representative democracy (also indirect democracy, representative republic, or psephocracy) is a type of democracy founded on the principle of elected officials representing a group of people, as opposed to direct democracy.[2] Nearly all modern Western-style democracies are types of representative democracies; for example, the United Kingdom is a crowned republic, Ireland is a parliamentary republic, and the United States is a federal republic.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    How is Steve "not contributing to society"?
    Because he believes it should be up to individuals?

The point was that we don't get to make direct choices on what the government's income stream is received from or how those funds are spent. We elect officials to act on our behalf. We may also influence those expenditures through lobbying, petitions, demonstrations and the courts. But I don't get to say: I don't want any of my tax dollars to be used for "x" program and expect that the government will follow my wishes.

Top Bottom