Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Got a slow running sink drain that I can't get cleared completely. One more try with the snake and if that doesn't do it, I'll be calling a plumber too.
    I've had good luck with baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water. I use the method below. We have metal pipes, but I don't know how well PVC pipe would hold up to boiling water. I would probably just use hot tap water for PVC.

1653662153218.png

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've had good luck with baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water. I use the method below. We have metal pipes, but I don't know how well PVC pipe would hold up to boiling water. I would probably just use hot tap water for PVC.

View attachment 202586
    I did this in my old house with the kitchen sink. Big old grease clog I could feel on the pipe from pouring a big pot of boiling water down. Took a few applications, then suddenly it let loose.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

View attachment 202586
    This method works great for GREASE and FOOD clogs, the boiling water tends to soften and melt some of the clog.

Hair clogs, which are more typical in bathroom sinks, bathtubs and shower drains tend to benefit from chemicals like DrainO that dissolve the hair and cut through the soap build up.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    This method works great for GREASE and FOOD clogs, the boiling water tends to soften and melt some of the clog.

Hair clogs, which are more typical in bathroom sinks, bathtubs and shower drains tend to benefit from chemicals like DrainO that dissolve the hair and cut through the soap build up.
    But isn't the hair held together by soap crud? I've had long hair for a long time, and the vinegar and baking soda has always worked for me in the bathroom sink.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    But isn't the hair held together by soap crud? I've had long hair for a long time, and the vinegar and baking soda has always worked for me in the bathroom sink.
    My last bathroom sink issue was caused by the wife's long hair catching over the support structure of the sink plug. Over time more and more hair would catch on it until it finally pretty much couldn't pass much water. I tore the whole pipe out thinking there was a clog that draino wouldn't clear, and found the pipe clear. There was a wad of nasty hair hanging out of the sink drain though.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My plumbing project was to replace a shower head. The old one was original from the build so it had been on ~26 years. Man was it hard break loose! tried one day last week and no joy. Sprayed some WD40 on it and tried again yesterday and it worked.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

View attachment 202586

I took apart the piping under the sink and cleaned out everything including the trap to remove a nasty clog a few weeks ago . My subsequent slow drain issue is further downstream inside the wall or beyond that. It isn't blocked but the drain will start to back up into the sink after about 30 seconds if the water is running. It's functional but it will only get worse with time.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My plumbing project was to replace a shower head. The old one was original from the build so it had been on ~26 years. Man was it hard break loose! tried one day last week and no joy. Sprayed some WD40 on it and tried again yesterday and it worked.
    Another trick is to wrap the frozen joint with a vinegar soaked rag and let it work for a few hours or overnight. I once had to do that to remove the retaining ring on a Delta shower faucet cartridge.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    4.5 hours of putting flags on vet's graves.
    Probably half way done.
    But we probably had 10 people in the morning, and 5 people by noon.
    With 400 acres... it's a bit more work than Memory Lane.

Weather had us old guys hurting to start with.
    I'd rather have finished it today, but no one was getting much done at the end, so... tomorrow.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Make sure no one is pouring GREASE down the drain.
    :xmad:

I don't care if you wash it down with hot water. The water gets cold REAL FAST.
    You just make the grease solidify further down the pipe.
    Yeah, I always let it solidify either in the pan or in a pyrex dish, then scrape it out into the garbage followed by wiping with paper towel.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I love when putting flags on graves, when people approach and tell you their relative NEVER GETS A FLAG.
    Really?
    You mean, there is nothing on the grave marker to indicate military service, and you wonder why we don't know to put a flag on it?
    You can't put a single flag on your relative's grave, and yet I'm supposed to know when I'm helping cover 400 acres of flags?
    Ugh.
    I hurt. So I am cranky.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom