• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That's a sad situation. Hopefully they find out where she belongs. As a son of a mother that went through the devastating effects of dementia, I have an empathy for others that are dealing with it. We took care of her and fortunately she never wandered off. She finally succumbed to the disease and passed in November of 2020 at the age of 83.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That's a sad situation. Hopefully they find out where she belongs. As a son of a mother that went through the devastating effects of dementia, I have an empathy for others that are dealing with it. We took care of her and fortunately she never wandered off. She finally succumbed to the disease and passed in November of 2020 at the age of 83.
    I'm sorry to hear that. My mom will be 89 next week and she is showing the beginning signs. Yesterday we watched Let's Make a Deal (as she has been doing for the past 10+ years) and she said "Who is that black man?" I said "Wayne Brady". She said "Is he a new host?"

She is also still physically very weak after her fall. She was so afraid of falling yesterday that she nearly shut down and refused to walk, but I reminded her that if she can no longer walk or stand, I cannot take care of her.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm sorry to hear that. My mom will be 89 next week and she is showing the beginning signs. Yesterday we watched Let's Make a Deal (as she has been doing for the past 10+ years) and she said "Who is that black man?" I said "Wayne Brady". She said "Is he a new host?"

She is also still physically very weak after her fall. She was so afraid of falling yesterday that she nearly shut down and refused to walk, but I reminded her that if she can no longer walk or stand, I cannot take care of her.
    Yeah my mom went thru a steady decline that lasted about 4 yrs. Fortunately my sister and I took care of her so we had each other. It wasn't easy even for the both of us so I can understand your concerns. I wish the best for you and your mother.

Sorry everyone for being such a downer it's just that the post Snap posted hit kind of close to home for me.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Yeah my mom went thru a steady decline that lasted about 4 yrs. Fortunately my sister and I took care of her so we had each other. It wasn't easy even for the both of us so I can understand your concerns. I wish the best for you and your mother.

Sorry everyone for being such a downer it's just that the post Snap posted hit kind of close to home for me.

I am going through the same thing right now. I am taking care of my 84 yr old father. After mom passed in Nov of 2019 someone had to take care of him since he didn't cook, or anything, plus wasn't able to drive anymore. So the task fell to me. My only siblling (brother) is less than useless in this situation. He visits MAYBE once every 3-6 months and has zero knowledge of what goes on here day to day. I'm just thankful that I am retired and able to care for him. For those that have never had to take care of a parent they have little to no idea what it's like. A friend just recently said to me 'It's like the parent and child have reversed roles and the child is now the parent.' She understand because she took care of her mom after her dad passed.

And NEVER feel bad for leaning on those that can at the very least give you a shoulder to lean on when needed. :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am going through the same thing right now. I am taking care of my 84 yr old father. After mom passed in Nov of 2019 someone had to take care of him since he didn't cook, or anything, plus wasn't able to drive anymore. So the task fell to me. My only siblling (brother) is less than useless in this situation. He visits MAYBE once every 3-6 months and has zero knowledge of what goes on here day to day. I'm just thankful that I am retired and able to care for him. For those that have never had to take care of a parent they have little to no idea what it's like. A friend just recently said to me 'It's like the parent and child have reversed roles and the child is now the parent.' She understand because she took care of her mom after her dad passed.

And NEVER feel bad for leaning on those that can at the very least give you a shoulder to lean on when needed. :)
    Thank you sir. I appreciate the kind sentiment and I wish the best for you and your father as well. We were committed to taking care of our mother and realize it may not be the best for everyone to handle depending on the severity of the illness especially if one has to provide the care by themselves. It can be a challenge for sure.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Thank you sir. I appreciate the kind sentiment and I wish the best for you and your father as well. We were committed to taking care of our mother and realize it may not be the best for everyone to handle depending on the severity of the illness especially if one has to provide the care by themselves. It can be a challenge for sure.
    With dad it is his mobility and ability to stand for any length of time. Add that to the fact that he never had to cook for himself. Despite these facts he is in remarkably good health for his age. The hardest thing for me is seeing him in this state after growing up with him being strong and active.

Reactions: KG1

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Well, I survived my Chiraqi adventure. Freakin Tri-State half tore up, but didn't lose too much time. Spent $18k on a newer cutter and folder to replace my '70s cutter and '80s folder, both of which were on their last legs. So that's all good.

As to elder care, I'm not going to quote all y'all, but know that you're not alone. Most of us boomers have gone through it, or or currently doing it. My wife's mom is in a memory-care unit in Schererville. She was living at home till the last couple years. We knew it was time when she started going on walk-a-bouts and getting lost, or worse, driving. She fought hard not to give up her keys, but we observed her going north in the southbound lanes of US 41!

Anyhow, it's no fun, and I respect you all who deal with it personally. Our parents' generation accomplished much, and deserve the best care we can provide, now, in their time of need. Best of luck to you all with it.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Well, I survived my Chiraqi adventure. Freakin Tri-State half tore up, but didn't lose too much time. Spent $18k on a newer cutter and folder to replace my '70s cutter and '80s folder, both of which were on their last legs. So that's all good.

As to elder care, I'm not going to quote all y'all, but know that you're not alone. Most of us boomers have gone through it, or or currently doing it. My wife's mom is in a memory-care unit in Schererville. She was living at home till the last couple years. We knew it was time when she started going on walk-a-bouts and getting lost, or worse, driving. She fought hard not to give up her keys, but we observed her going north in the southbound lanes of US 41!

Anyhow, it's no fun, and I respect you all who deal with it personally. Our parents' generation accomplished much, and deserve the best care we can provide, now, in their time of need. Best of luck to you all with it.

Personally I don’t talk much about it because:
    A) I feel that it’s personal info that deserves to stay personal
    B) it’s not like anyone can change the facts
    C) I tend to be a private person and keep my problems and such to myself cuz nobody REALLY needs to hear you problems

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom