• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    **** can't break when it's 50 degrees out.
    NO!
    Gotta wait til it's hot and humid, then I get to spend a couple hours working on a "car" that holds a ladle of steel.
    890 days till I hit my retire aim point (31 years)
    525 days though, to get my 30. At that point, I may just say F.. it.

General rule is anything that breaks will always break when the weather is uncomfortable in some way.

I've never even had a car headlight go out on a nice day. It's either 90 and sweat is dripping down into my eyes or it's so cold I can't feel my damn fingers.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    It seems there might be more to this than has been revealed.

The "butt-hurt" was in the form of our 5'2" drunk friend with "little man who has big friends" syndrom staggering up to a group of bouncers and in front of a bunch of people asking what they thought they were gonna do if his buddies started something in the bar. We were built like linemen and the bouncers were built like wide receivers, they were tall but no mass to move another person if needed and they had just been called out by a hobbit.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    General rule is anything that breaks will always break when the weather is uncomfortable in some way.

I've never even had a car headlight go out on a nice day. It's either 90 and sweat is dripping down into my eyes or it's so cold I can't feel my damn fingers.

Would be nice if it was 90 where I'm working.
    I'm working on the system that gives the ladle gate percentage.
    Ladle gates are HOT.
    So I think the air is somewhere around 150

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    **** can't break when it's 50 degrees out.
    NO!
    Gotta wait til it's hot and humid, then I get to spend a couple hours working on a "car" that holds a ladle of steel.
    890 days till I hit my retire aim point (31 years)
    525 days though, to get my 30. At that point, I may just say F.. it.

My fourth day in the mill at the BOF (Basic Oxygen Furnace, nasty place that made steel) was a downturn. I am assigned with the crew to do maintenance on the transfers cars that move the steel and slag from under the furnace. They pour the last heat and park the cars. We lock them out and crawl underneath, I am burned by everything I touch, even through my greens (flame retardant protective clothing). As I am ouching and cussing one of the guys looks at me and says "No long johns?" I say it's too hot for long johns and they all laugh at me. There were never any other days that I worked at the BOF when I did not have long johns on. Wearing extra layers to protect myself from heat was new to me.

The coke plant was worse because you could easily be thawing out frozen water lines in below zero temps and then get a call where you had to work in front of an open coke oven and your clothes would be steaming. I do not miss those days, the cold and the heat just suck your energy and you go home feeling lifeless.

On a happier note I had fun shooting trap at the Michigan City Rifle Club earlier tonight. They do this every Thursday night at 6 pm and it is open to the public. It costs $4 for a round of 25. It was my first time shooting a shotgun and I shot two rounds of 25 getting 13 hits each time.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Anybody know if I can get a 10L Jerry can around here anywhere. Thinking about fabricating a mount to replace my left side saddle bag with spare gas for longer trips eventually and a 20L/5 gal is just far too large I think.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My fourth day in the mill at the BOF (Basic Oxygen Furnace, nasty place that made steel) was a downturn. I am assigned with the crew to do maintenance on the transfers cars that move the steel and slag from under the furnace. They pour the last heat and park the cars. We lock them out and crawl underneath, I am burned by everything I touch, even through my greens (flame retardant protective clothing). As I am ouching and cussing one of the guys looks at me and says "No long johns?" I say it's too hot for long johns and they all laugh at me. There were never any other days that I worked at the BOF when I did not have long johns on. Wearing extra layers to protect myself from heat was new to me.

The coke plant was worse because you could easily be thawing out frozen water lines in below zero temps and then get a call where you had to work in front of an open coke oven and your clothes would be steaming. I do not miss those days, the cold and the heat just suck your energy and you go home feeling lifeless.

On a happier note I had fun shooting trap at the Michigan City Rifle Club earlier tonight. They do this every Thursday night at 6 pm and it is open to the public. It costs $4 for a round of 25. It was my first time shooting a shotgun and I shot two rounds of 25 getting 13 hits each time.

I wear coveralls under the clothes, instead of long johns.
    And I did 6 years in the coke plant.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah whoever it was sounded totally...let's call it nostalgic :)::)::):

Might have been our old fart who stayed laborer the last 15 years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom