repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Served on Federal Grand Jury today.

I can't tell you about it. If I do I have to kill you. Which would also be a crime. Soooo
    Funny enough, I got a letter for jury duty while in Iraq. Of course it was late, so the unit contacted them and dealt with it. Another from Texas while I was in New Jersey. Contacted them, cleared. And one since I've been out. I went online to fill out the questions and was excused the next day.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Funny enough, I got a letter for jury duty while in Iraq. Of course it was late, so the unit contacted them and dealt with it. Another from Texas while I was in New Jersey. Contacted them, cleared. And one since I've been out. I went online to fill out the questions and was excused the next day.

My term on the Federal Grand Jury lasts 18 months. We typically meet 2 days a month. Its all scheduled well in advance. Actually very interesting. We do NOT sit in for trials. Grand Juries are investigative bodies and nothing goes to trial that we don't recommend to trial. We ask witnesses questions, we ask prosecutors questions, etc.

Funny thing is that I just got a summons for jury duty to serve at county too.

I took that to the federal court and they got me out of the county service.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I don't remember if I wrote in that I was racist but I basically said I don't believe in God so what's my word worth with hand on Bible. Never got bothered again

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you don't want to serve, tell them you're a member of the John Birch Society or the Fully Informed Jury Association. If you want to serve and help fix things, educate yourself from the Fully Informed Jury Association and don't volunteer any information that would disqualify you (such as stating you know about jury nullification).

That doesn't work for federal grand juries.

Federal grand juries are actually investigative bodies, I was actually directly questioning the Assistant US Attorneys today about their actions trying to prosecute a couple fo their cases. I also was directly questioning witnesses. We have the power to issue summons on people to appear and can force them to testify.

But you can't get off the jury in the same way that you can get off a county jury trial. Its a totally different thing. Its called a jury but we do not judge any trials. Similar in name only.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My understanding is that you weigh the evidence to see if there is enough to indict.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    My understanding is that you weigh the evidence to see if there is enough to indict.
    That is correct. Grand Jury makes sure there is enough to indict so time isn't wasted on cases that don't meet requirements. Sometimes deciding enough for charge A and B, but no to C.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    hahaha soooo basically a Grand Jury could do the whole Jury Nullification process before the case even went to trial...

Very interesting...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    hahaha soooo basically a Grand Jury could do the whole Jury Nullification process before the case even went to trial...

Very interesting...

YES, exactly.

At least 1 Assistant US Attorney is not very happy with me ... he is coming back next month with more evidence :rolleyes:

Two other AUSAs got grilled by me but I let the cases pass on without further objection.

One AUSA tried to summarize my questions and I cut him off and told him that he was attempting to put words in my mouth. He has brought a half dozen witnesses in front of me and I've grilled many of them, and grilled him in front of them. He has been changing his tactics to adapt to me because he realizes I'm not going to allow rubber stamping.

This is nothing like sitting on a county trial. This is actually fun! Especially if you are a Jerk in a Hawaiian shirt!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    attention all, attention all.
    the king has declared that for 2 boxes of girl scout cookies the first person to quiet the old man in the flowery shirt is the game today. ;)

the black vans will be coming for you soon old man.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    YES, exactly.

At least 1 Assistant US Attorney is not very happy with me ... he is coming back next month with more evidence :rolleyes:

Two other AUSAs got grilled by me but I let the cases pass on without further objection.

One AUSA tried to summarize my questions and I cut him off and told him that he was attempting to put words in my mouth. He has brought a half dozen witnesses in front of me and I've grilled many of them, and grilled him in front of them. He has been changing his tactics to adapt to me because he realizes I'm not going to allow rubber stamping.

This is nothing like sitting on a county trial. This is actually fun! Especially if you are a Jerk in a Hawaiian shirt!

Now I know why they have never called me.

ETA: I would be in a blazer and tie though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom