• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anyone here a member of the North Porter County Conservation Club? I have a couple of questions about some changes in the 4-H Shooting Sports workshops.

Thanks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If this video in the article turns out legit, i can see Fair Oaks Farms in some possible legal trouble.

Video will be disturbing if you cant handle seeing animals being abused.

http://inanimalrights.com/investigation-fair-oaks-farms/
    Read the reply from the founder of Fair Oaks Farms

The people in the video were actually turned in by their own co-workers and fired months ago. Except for 1, he was terminated today as he was identified on the film. Another was a driver for an outside transportation company. That company was informed that he is not allowed on any of their property and that all their employees must adhere to strict standards that prevent animal cruelty.

Every company has a few bad employees from time to time.

It appears that Fair Oaks has a good operation from everything I've ever seen of it (many visits) and its doubtful they could be successful if they actually abused their animals as those animals are the creators of the income stream that keeps that farm going.

I'm not going to say Fair Oaks is perfect, no company is or ever will be. But I am going to say that most of the "animal rights" organizations are extremists organizations that want to shut down dairy and meat production in the US (and the world).

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

The people in the video were actually turned in by their own co-workers and fired months ago. Except for 1, he was terminated today as he was identified on the film. Another was a driver for an outside transportation company. That company was informed that he is not allowed on any of their property and that all their employees must adhere to strict standards that prevent animal cruelty.

It appears that Fair Oaks has a good operation from everything I've ever seen of it (many visits) and its doubtful they could be successful if they actually abused their animals as those animals are the creators of the income stream that keeps that farm going.

I'm not going to say Fair Oaks is perfect, no company is or ever will be. But I am going to say that most of the "animal rights" organizations are extremists organizations that want to shut down dairy and meat production in the US (and the world).

I dont disagree with you at all on this, especially on the Animal rights activist groups being extremists. Im sure every one of the major dairy, beef, chicken, etc. Operations have these types of issues.
    I am glad that Fair Oaks is taking care of these issues. Just because these animals are going to become food doesn't mean they should be treated as what's shown in the video.
    Just thought it should be brought to attention to as many as possible though, as that should help keep pressure on Fair Oaks to maybe keep a better eye on who they are hiring and what some employees may be doing while out in the areas that are more hidden from the public and the owners themselves.
    Im definitely glad that employees themselves helped turn in the bad apples doing this to these animals.
    I am a hunter and believe in an ethical kill. I will not take a shot at an animal if i am not certain it will be as quick and painless a death for that animal that it can be.(With the exception of Jedis racoons, they can suffer)

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Well, phone weather app sucks. Showed 20 percent chance of rain today. Go down to daily weather for the week and suddenly it's 80 percent . How can the same day be so different? Good thing I brought my rain coat for sure.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well, phone weather app sucks. Showed 20 percent chance of rain today. Go down to daily weather for the week and suddenly it's 80 percent . How can the same day be so different? Good thing I brought my rain coat for sure.
    It isn't the phone app, it is meteorology in general.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219

I thought the same thing when I was reading different articles and watching the FB outrage. I doubt any of them actually read the owners statement, or their reading comprehension is very poor. The statement seemed sincere, and the issues were dealt with months ago before the video was released. I also hope that his claims of trying to work with the animal activist group was true, and that the group was in the wrong from not approaching Fair Oaks earlier with the information. At this point I'm not ready to boycott and lambaste Fair Oaks for 4 bad employees.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    One of the best replies I've seen:

I’ve seen lots of people share the video and story regarding animal abuse at Fair Oaks. The abuse shown in the video is disgusting, wrong, and has no place in the ag industry.

With this being said before you jump to the conclusion that the entire company is trash and you’ll never support them again keep in mind the source of the video. ARM is an animal rights organization, but they have an agenda. They are against “factory farms”, with Fair Oaks being one of the largest dairy farms in the US they are bound to draw the attention of organizations such as this. These sort of organizations are not always as legitimate as they sound. Several have been known to intentionally get activists hired on at large farms or slaughter facilities to commit or push people to commit these acts and record them. The video itself was released months after it was captured. It was released now, because June is National Dairy month. If they were as concerned as they claim to be why wait so long to release it? The video is meant to shock you and shows the same handful of clips over and over again, but claims the abuse is widespread. I challenge you to look up ARM and HSUS on Charity Navigator.

Fair Oaks is a business that has spent years and millions of dollars building an agricultural tourism spot that educates the public about dairy and pig farming, even with this their lifeblood is the animals. If The abuse was as widespread and rampant as the video claims they would no longer be in business. A dead cow is worth nothing compared to a healthy live one. I’m sure the majority of the employees there genuinely care about the animals and their welfare, yet you’ll never see that on an animal rights video.

I hope that Fair Oaks follows through with measures they put forth in the response letter written by the CEO. Animal abuse does not belong in the industry. It’s unfortunate how the actions of a few bad employees can reflect so negatively on the entire company.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One of the best replies I've seen:

I’ve seen lots of people share the video and story regarding animal abuse at Fair Oaks. The abuse shown in the video is disgusting, wrong, and has no place in the ag industry.

With this being said before you jump to the conclusion that the entire company is trash and you’ll never support them again keep in mind the source of the video. ARM is an animal rights organization, but they have an agenda. They are against “factory farms”, with Fair Oaks being one of the largest dairy farms in the US they are bound to draw the attention of organizations such as this. These sort of organizations are not always as legitimate as they sound. Several have been known to intentionally get activists hired on at large farms or slaughter facilities to commit or push people to commit these acts and record them. The video itself was released months after it was captured. It was released now, because June is National Dairy month. If they were as concerned as they claim to be why wait so long to release it? The video is meant to shock you and shows the same handful of clips over and over again, but claims the abuse is widespread. I challenge you to look up ARM and HSUS on Charity Navigator.

Fair Oaks is a business that has spent years and millions of dollars building an agricultural tourism spot that educates the public about dairy and pig farming, even with this their lifeblood is the animals. If The abuse was as widespread and rampant as the video claims they would no longer be in business. A dead cow is worth nothing compared to a healthy live one. I’m sure the majority of the employees there genuinely care about the animals and their welfare, yet you’ll never see that on an animal rights video.

I hope that Fair Oaks follows through with measures they put forth in the response letter written by the CEO. Animal abuse does not belong in the industry. It’s unfortunate how the actions of a few bad employees can reflect so negatively on the entire company.

As far as i can tell, Fair Oaks had dealt with the problems before the rest of use even knew about them, and for the most part, before even they had seen the video. That speaks well to them. No organization with that many employees is going to have a perfect record. All you can do is deal with the problems when you find out about them and try to make sure it happens again.

I have to be honest, when I first heard about this, my first reaction was:

"I don't know who or what to believe, but I know who NOT to believe without a boatload of evidence: leftist animal rights activists."

Certainly, many things we saw in the tape just looked wrong. That was not how animals are to be handled.

HOWEVER, and it's a big however, I cannot shake the feeling that some, don't know how much, was cooked. That is, set up. The cameras were, clearly, not always hidden, which means the people doing what they were doing knew they were being filmed. Think about that.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've taken the tour. The general public can't get that close to the animals to create that footage. Everything is viewed through glass when viewing an animal.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    As you guys know, I've been out of work for a few months. I decided that working from home was the best option for me right now. I took what used to be a hobby and turned it into a business. Today my website www.nature-kissed.com went live. I am making and selling hand-poured all-natural lip balms. I'm handling everything--sales, website, production, fulfillment. I'll be at the CP gun show this weekend with the first batches and will also do a few craft/vendor shows. I can't do outdoor ones, especially when it's hot, because 1) the product would melt, and 2) I can't carry all of the canopies, tables, and other crap necessary to do an outdoor show. If you know of any indoor craft or vendor shows in Lake/Porter County, please let me know.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As you guys know, I've been out of work for a few months. I decided that working from home was the best option for me right now. I took what used to be a hobby and turned it into a business. Today my website www.nature-kissed.com went live. I am making and selling hand-poured all-natural lip balms. I'm handling everything--sales, website, production, fulfillment. I'll be at the CP gun show this weekend with the first batches and will also do a few craft/vendor shows. I can't do outdoor ones, especially when it's hot, because 1) the product would melt, and 2) I can't carry all of the canopies, tables, and other crap necessary to do an outdoor show. If you know of any indoor craft or vendor shows in Lake/Porter County, please let me know.

Shared the link with the wife. Her and my youngest use lip balm. I imagine if she wants some I'll meet up with you at a gunshow. Not sure I'll make this one though with youth shoot Saturday

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    It is amazing how they can predict so accurately when the earth will be unable to sustain life.
    Absolutely agree. Or if you remember every other weather related hoax through the years, ice ages, acid rains, etc. Not putting my entire faith in the science. After all, wasn't too long ago scientists were hanging crazy people that thought the Earth went around the Sun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom