Not open for further replies.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    9 hour bump. I'm still alive and kicking. Usually read this on the train but hadn't been on the train for a bit sadly. Here's to hoping that the shutdown ends soon.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    9 hour bump. I'm still alive and kicking. Usually read this on the train but hadn't been on the train for a bit sadly. Here's to hoping that the shutdown ends soon.
    Maybe they are going for the record...what was it 21 days with Clinton?
    No cold weather.
    I've been EXTREMELY lazy, and still haven't looked at my furnace.

:eek:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    In North Carolina with my Russian fencing student. She competed in the Junior competition yesterday, today is the Division 1 event which includes Olympians and other world ranked fencers. Yesterday she did well enough to attract the attention of Northwestern University. So that is good. They have a solid fencing program, not as good as some, better than others. Dasha was jet lagged and not fencing her best, having just flown into Charlotte from Kiev thru Vienna.

Today will be a bigger test. I hope she fences better today, she was a bit off yesterday with some hesitation off the en guard line that cost her some points. She was knocked out of the competition yesterday by a member of the US National Team who also won the Cadet World Cup 3 times. Crazy good fencer. Dasha came from behind after the rest break, traded touches up to 13-13 and then lost the last 2, losing 15-13 against one of the nation’s best fencers. I think that’s proof that Dasha has some amazing potential. I’m sure the girl who beat her will remember her!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    In North Carolina with my Russian fencing student. She competed in the Junior competition yesterday, today is the Division 1 event which includes Olympians and other world ranked fencers. Yesterday she did well enough to attract the attention of Northwestern University. So that is good. They have a solid fencing program, not as good as some, better than others. Dasha was jet lagged and not fencing her best, having just flown into Charlotte from Kiev thru Vienna.

Today will be a bigger test. I hope she fences better today, she was a bit off yesterday with some hesitation off the en guard line that cost her some points. She was knocked out of the competition yesterday by a member of the US National Team who also won the Cadet World Cup 3 times. Crazy good fencer. Dasha came from behind after the rest break, traded touches up to 13-13 and then lost the last 2, losing 15-13 against one of the nation’s best fencers. I think that’s proof that Dasha has some amazing potential. I’m sure the girl who beat her will remember her!

Where in NC are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just finishing up dinner at Flamingos in miller beach. Its been about 5 years since we've been here. Still great pizza

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Beautiful day today. Took 80% of the kids (hoosierkiddo #2 was at a birthday party) and the dogs out for some fresh air. Went to Willow Slough but stayed near headquarters due to hunting season. Found a little ice near shore that the kids could bounce pebbles on and listen to them ping. Was rather nice being out in only a t shirt.
    KNaYIFS.jpg

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Lake County govt complex, 2239 N Main St, 2nd floor east room, Tuesday 10 AM
    Lake county is thinking of changing rules for shooting in the county

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A former Russian Olympian is here in North Carolina at the same Fencing tournament we are attending. Apparently he is one of the most famous people in Russia so of course I have no f’ing clue who he is. Dasha sees him and gets star struck. Every time we pass on the floor she turns to jello. I mean gibberish speaking mush.

So for the totally surreal moment of the day he is coaching a crappy American fencer while I’m a crappy American coach who is coaching an amazing Russian fencer ... he sits down next to me! Dasha is 3’ away on the competitor side of the barrier while I sit with him on the coaches side. So WTF I lean over and say ‘You Russian, yes?’ He replies and I say ‘So is my fencer, she is Russian’ ... I swing my arm out to a tap the arm of my totally oblivious Dasha and introduce her to her hero! They talked in Russian for 10 min, he gave her his contact info and said he could help.

Me, I’m still clueless as to who this guy is! But I snuck a photo!

Oh and she beat his student.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom