• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    It is a fabulous round, but for some reason the State specifically carved it out. They sell them everywhere to unsuspecting noobs like me.
    It's definitely the round I settled on after doing a bit of research. I was going to be the next noob to fall for it so thanks for saving me from that! Back to the drawing board for me, I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Do not buy a .270, I repeat DO NOT BUY A .270!

You cannot hunt with it in Indiana. You cannot resell it in Indiana. I bought the prettiest scoped .270 for $400 and then found out I couldn't hunt with it in Indiana. I tried to sell it for a couple of years and finally sold it to the same LGS for $200.

However, if you do buy one, I have 200 rounds of several loads that I intended to test to see what it liked, all premium. I paid an average of $22 a box, but will sell any for $11 a box or all for $100.

I take back everything I said about not buying a .270 if you intend to use it out of state.

Actually, after doing a bit more research, I found out that .270 is in fact legal to hunt with in Indiana. They changed the law somewhat recently, last year, I think.

So I just might be hitting you up for some ammo after all

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The .270 is not allowed on public land but is ok for private land as far as hunting goes. So all depends on where you plan to hunt. If you uave access to private property the 270 is good to go

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    The .270 is not allowed on public land but is ok for private land as far as hunting goes. So all depends on where you plan to hunt. If you uave access to private property the 270 is good to go
    Damnit! Lol

These laws are unnecessarily restrictive. You can use ___ caliber and ___ caliber but not the one in between those two. For what reason, who knows?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Damnit! Lol

These laws are unnecessarily restrictive. You can use ___ caliber and ___ caliber but not the one in between those two. For what reason, who knows?

Results of our lovely politicians getting involved in setting regulations.
    Click on link and should explain whats legal and whats not and where its legal or not. Scroll down and it will give you minimum bullet diameters and case lengths for both public and private land. Hope this helps.

Deer Regulations | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2018 | eRegulations

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It is the ballistics. I would go with a .308. The ballistics are just a bit under the .270 and are good enough to get a good to kill anything in this region humanely.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I look forward to hunting deer with a SCAR17 this year.

No one NEEDS a full semi auto death gun to hunt poor little Bambi! What we really need is plate carriers for deer paid for with an exorbitant tax on hunters.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Results of our lovely politicians getting involved in setting regulations.
    Click on link and should explain whats legal and whats not and where its legal or not. Scroll down and it will give you minimum bullet diameters and case lengths for both public and private land. Hope this helps.

Deer Regulations | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2018 | eRegulations
    This does help, thank you. I also just contacted DNR who helped explain things a little. At least how it's illegal but not why.

I guess my next question is, who's got some land they wouldn't mind me roaming around on?

In all seriousness, I am still interested in just tagging along with someone and learning what I can. I guess I will continue the search for my first rifle in the meantime.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom