• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    2nd time in a year, first involved creating a new drive through. This time Sunday early am thieves broke in smashing the glass windows and then smashing glass cases and stealing 40 hand guns. This pisses me off beyond words.

Not being a gun store owner I guess I don't understand why you would not have a safe for evening storage? This is a small shop and I would be surprised if they had more than 40 hand guns in stock! So why would they not secure them?

I get that they have insurance but that is not the point, there are now 39 guns in the hands of criminals, one was recovered from a juvenile in Nashville.

Wouldn't a safe be a better option than a high deductible and supplying arms to criminals?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Burgled, not robbed.

And I'm sure someone will be along to accuse you of victim blaming shortly.

Thought it had to be breaking into the dwelling house of another during the night time hours to be burglary? I am OK with victim blaming on this one ! To quote Church Mouse I too think they were just Lazy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thought it had to be breaking into the dwelling house of another during the night time hours to be burglary?

Entering a building with intent to commit theft or a felony is burglary. From IC: A person who breaks and enters the building or structure of another person, with intent to commit a felony or theft in it, commits burglary...

Taking something from a person, or their immediate presence, by force or threat of force is robbery: ...knowingly or intentionally takes property from another person or from the presence of another person:

(1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person;  or

(2) by putting any person in fear;

commits robbery

You can't "rob" without a person there. You can steal, you can burgle, but you can't rob without force (or threat of force) vs a person.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thought it had to be breaking into the dwelling house of another during the night time hours to be burglary? I am OK with victim blaming on this one ! To quote Church Mouse I too think they were just Lazy.

Entering a building with intent to commit theft or a felony is burglary. From IC: A person who breaks and enters the building or structure of another person, with intent to commit a felony or theft in it, commits burglary...

Taking something from a person, or their immediate presence, by force or threat of force is robbery: ...knowingly or intentionally takes property from another person or from the presence of another person:

(1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person;  or

(2) by putting any person in fear;

commits robbery

You can't "rob" without a person there. You can steal, you can burgle, but you can't rob without force (or threat of force) vs a person.

Plus, didn't anyone else here see Ant Man...the clearly explained it there as well. Not that BBI's version wasn't also entertaining.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sure, they are victims but they're also slow learners. Anybody want to bet their insurance carrier will either not pay off or drop them like a hot rock on the second go round? Or both!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Security after the 1st go round would be my thoughts. This is on them totally. Lazy.

When I was at Galyan's, we did not go to safes until we got hit the second time (in through the roof, first time they hid in the bathroom ceiling then dropped down after hours).

It was a cost benefit issue for the store. Apparently Galyan's got a check for the handguns it lost (they only took pistols) so we did not look into safes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was at Galyan's, we did not go to safes until we got hit the second time (in through the roof, first time they hid in the bathroom ceiling then dropped down after hours).

It was a cost benefit issue for the store. Apparently Galyan's got a check for the handguns it lost (they only took pistols) so we did not look into safes.

That was another time in a land far far away...:):

These days those who make a living (selling not stealing) need to pony up. 1st to keep the business alive. 2nd to keep the guns from the douche bags. 3rd, to keep the spot light off of us.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That was another time in a land far far away...:):

These days those who make a living (selling not stealing) need to pony up. 1st to keep the business alive. 2nd to keep the guns from the douche bags. 3rd, to keep the spot light off of us.

I hear ya. I understand BBIs frustration too. As one who has worked for more than a few Burglars, I know what they are looking for and anything that slows them down reduces your risk profile.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    ...I guess I don't understand why you would not have a safe for evening storage?

That's an awful lot of hours annually to pull everything each night just to put it back the next morning. Maybe you should volunteer your time to them since you know better! Also you are victim blaming.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's an awful lot of hours annually to pull everything each night just to put it back the next morning. Maybe you should volunteer your time to them since you know better! Also you are victim blaming.

Really. It is part of doing business these days. Every LGS I am aware of puts them away every night and cables up the long guns.....every night. Because that is the responsible thing to do.

I blame any LGS that fails here for making it to easy to put these guns in the hands of those who should not own them. They are victims of a break in. They are complicit in distributing firearms. Put them in the damn safe.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, it is a lot of time over a year, but we do it anyway. It’s called being responsible! I damn sure don’t want the guilt of knowing that I could have done more to keep a weapon out of a scumbags hands, but I had decided it took “too much of my time” at the end of the night to do everything in my power to keep our guns from a criminal. Maybe you should volunteer your time to stand guard over a shop that chooses not to secure their stuff.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    I blame any LGS that fails here for making it to easy to put these guns in the hands of those who should not own them. They are victims of a break in. They are complicit in distributing firearms. Put them in the damn safe.

So ya'll saber rattling for tougher ATF laws/regulations on firearm storage for LGS and FFL holders. Is this correct? Gonna make mando safe reqs for a certain number of guns in the home also while we're at it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So ya'll saber rattling for tougher ATF laws/regulations on firearm storage for LGS and FFL holders. Is this correct? Gonna make mando safe reqs for a certain number of guns in the home also while we're at it.
    :dunno:
    So, taking responsibility and locking up stuff you don’t want people to steal is advocating for more laws?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Well I would gladly volunteer my time to secure them every night!

I didn't see the purple so I am hoping your comment was meant to be sarcastic? At this point I am going to hope you were not serious. But let's just run with that line of thought for a minute and look at it from a cost to benefit point of view. Safe placed out of sight let's say it takes them 10 minutes a.m and p.m. daily to shuffle the handguns.

That's less time than most people waste while smoking during the day while on the clock. In return they reduce the potential for future losses, improve their standing in the community (priceless) and the big one They act responsibly!

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Well I would gladly volunteer my time to secure them every night!

Dude that's awesome. I'm also a small business owner, could i get you to donate 100 man hours to my company?

if-you-could-do-that-that-would-be-great-com-14249891.png

But let's just run with that line of thought for a minute and look at it from a cost to benefit point of view.

Playing what if's not a good way to run a business. Literately what insurance is for.

Safe placed out of sight let's say it takes them 10 minutes a.m and p.m. daily to shuffle the handguns.

Alright 20 minutes a day, lets say they are open 6 days a week minus some holidays etc, (300 days x 20 minutes) /60= roughing it at 100 hours annual you have to waste/pay somebody to lock something up, again, as it's already locked behind a door.

That's less time than most people waste while smoking during the day while on the clock.

And that is entirely irrelevant. Federal law considers the breaks as compensatable work hours.

In return they reduce the potential for future losses

Well it's not actually a return, there would be no profit from this investment.

improve their standing in the community (priceless) and the big one They act responsibly!

It's not actually priceless, it has a direct cost. And finally there you go blaming the victim

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

What are you even talking about. We want the LGS people to stow the pistols in the safe at night. I said nothing about any more laws just responsible store owners.

You have left the rails here. My blaming them is because again.....irresponsible. We can handle this with out the feds.

Top Bottom