• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Screw these guys. It's already just about impossible to find a v8 pickup now. Tundra I think is the only standard v8 truck now, and I hear 2022 will be v6.

Guess I need to trade up now so I'll have one for the next 15 years.
    The 'standard' engine of GM/Ford/Ram has always been a V6 of some flavor, depending on trim.

You can very easily get a brand new GM with 5.3L V8 (2.7L I4 base), Ford with a 5.0L V8 (2.7L V6 base), or Ram with 5.7L V8 (3.6L V6 base).

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    its like the pedestrians have taken the "Pedestrians have the right of way" to heart and are exercising that right... to their detriment. Granted I honor that, especially in parking lots, but the number of people who walk where they want to walk regardless of traffic without considering that those that must yield to you maybe havent SEEN you yet is astounding.
    "Right of way is all about tonnage and velocity, and pedestrians are way down at the bottom of the list"

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Over the past few years, I have noticed an increasing number of pedestrians that don't even look before walking in front of traffic. When I was a kid, it was pounded into me to look both ways & always wait for a safe crossing.
    The man told officers he had walked in front of a vehicle as he was walking in the parking lot of the business. He said the suspect got out of the driver's side of a gray Honda CR-V and shot him multiple times.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The 'standard' engine of GM/Ford/Ram has always been a V6 of some flavor, depending on trim.

You can very easily get a brand new GM with 5.3L V8 (2.7L I4 base), Ford with a 5.0L V8 (2.7L V6 base), or Ram with 5.7L V8 (3.6L V6 base).
    I know you can. Ford for the last 2-3 years has been big on the "Ecoboost" engine to replace the V8. I'd venture a guess that Ford considers it's standard to be now the ecoboost.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    I know you can. Ford for the last 2-3 years has been big on the "Ecoboost" engine to replace the V8. I'd venture a guess that Ford considers it's standard to be now the ecoboost.
    And with an Ecoboost I4 able to produce the same power a V6 did 10 years ago (and a V6 producing what a V8 did 10 years ago) fewer V8s are being sold, so dealers probably keep fewer on the lot, and for course pre-owned V8s are in shorter supply

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The 3.5 EcoBoost is amazing in the F150.... although the 2.7 isn't far behind.

In the Ram, get the 5.7. Great motor.

I've had all three. Mileage was close on all 3.... but no one buys a full size pickup for fuel economy....

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The 3.5 EcoBoost is amazing in the F150.... although the 2.7 isn't far behind.

In the Ram, get the 5.7. Great motor.

I've had all three. Mileage was close on all 3.... but no one buys a full size pickup for fuel economy....
    There's a reason you still see a bunch of 20+ year old v8 trucks on the road.

There's a reason you don't see a bunch of 20+ year old supercharged 6 cylinder cars (or trucks in 10 years) on the road.

Little underpowered/overworked engines run hotter and harder than overpowered v8 engines. It's political pandering, not value for the consumer.

Which is better, buy one truck in 20 years that gets 5-10 less mpg, or buy 3 trucks that get 5-10 more mpg? Which do you think drains fossil fuels more? It's the same reason battery powered cars are a farce. Batteries take much more out of the environment to make, and they last maybe 6-7 years.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

There's a reason you don't see a bunch of 20+ year old supercharged 6 cylinder cars (or trucks in 10 years) on the road.

Little underpowered/overworked engines run hotter and harder than overpowered v8 engines. It's political pandering, not value for the consumer.

Which is better, buy one truck in 20 years that gets 5-10 less mpg, or buy 3 trucks that get 5-10 more mpg? Which do you think drains fossil fuels more? It's the same reason battery powered cars are a farce. Batteries take much more out of the environment to make, and they last maybe 6-7 years.
    You still see a bunch of 20+ year V8s on the road because 1. small displacement, turbocharged engines for mass use are a relatively new development, especially in light trucks and 2. most people can't afford $40k+ for a new generation truck with a forced induction engine.

I mean, it ain't exactly like V8s are a paragon of reliability - reference Triton V8s that shoot spark plugs out of cylinder heads and GM engines with collapsed lifters. Can't really speak to Dodge or Ram gas engines because, well, in my experience the transmission goes WAY before the engine does...

Compare the torque curve of forced induction engines with older small block V8s, there really isn't any comparison - turbo'd trucks get to peak torque around 2k RPM instead of 4.1k RPM.

They certainly don't make 'em like the Windsor or SBC of old...and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Full disclosure: own a 2017 Silverado with 5.3L V8

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

While I don't disagree at all, I don't keep vehicles for 20 years. If you take note the years I posted, I drive a lot and change out often.

30,000+ miles a year adds up quick. Come 60-70k miles, I'm ordering a new one. It definitely helps its on the companies dime.

The only issues I've experienced has been a turbo failed on my '14 3.5 F150...other than that, just oil changes... not once did I put on new tires or a brake job.

All this "tech" has a cost. My Ram stickered at a tick under $60,000 for a damn pickup truck.

Drive one of each from the big 3 with their top tier engine and you be the judge... neither the 2.7 or 5.7 had any issues with my 7500lb boat...

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    You still see a bunch of 20+ year V8s on the road because 1. small displacement, turbocharged engines for mass use are a relatively new development, especially in light trucks and 2. most people can't afford $40k+ for a new generation truck with a forced induction engine.

I mean, it ain't exactly like V8s are a paragon of reliability - reference Triton V8s that shoot spark plugs out of cylinder heads and GM engines with collapsed lifters. Can't really speak to Dodge or Ram gas engines because, well, in my experience the transmission goes WAY before the engine does...

Compare the torque curve of forced induction engines with older small block V8s, there really isn't any comparison - turbo'd trucks get to peak torque around 2k RPM instead of 4.1k RPM.

They certainly don't make 'em like the Windsor or SBC of old...and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Full disclosure: own a 2017 Silverado with 5.3L V8
    Yeah I have no technical expertise. I assume you have some kind of engineering background with your screen name. I'm a Purdue grad also.
    My experience has just been anecdotal. We used to have a fleet of delivery cars/vans. Vans with the 6 cylinder/8 cylinder engines ran forever. We didn't have a single 4 cylinder car run for more than 200K. Most of the time we spend about 1/2 of the vehicle price in repairs at 100-150K.
    There are bad v8 designs, you're right about that. I had a terrible 2007 (?) Avalanche that used about a full engine's worth of oil driving on the interstate. It only made to to 100K before I traded for my Tundra.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Yeah I have no technical expertise. I assume you have some kind of engineering background with your screen name. I'm a Purdue grad also.
    My experience has just been anecdotal. We used to have a fleet of delivery cars/vans. Vans with the 6 cylinder/8 cylinder engines ran forever. We didn't have a single 4 cylinder car run for more than 200K. Most of the time we spend about 1/2 of the vehicle price in repairs at 100-150K.
    There are bad v8 designs, you're right about that. I had a terrible 2007 (?) Avalanche that used about a full engine's worth of oil driving on the interstate. It only made to to 100K before I traded for my Tundra.
    I think that may have more to do with trucks in general just being designed to last longer than cars. I've had a lot of V6 and V8 cars over the years, and none of them have lasted over 200k either, and like you say start to incur costly repairs around 150k

I guess time will tell on the Ecoboost, I've got one in my Fusion but I'm not entirely sold on them in trucks yet either

Top Bottom