• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    How do the noobs (typically members with less than 100 posts) find such old threads and then post in them, generally with some random off topic comment that has nothing to do with said thread they just brought back from the dead? It is nuts how often this happens.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They're looking for old (possibly archived) threads to post in to boost their post count, thinking no one will notice. The don't realize it causes them to bump to the top of the "New Posts" list. Other times, they're doing a search for a topic and then post in it without paying any particular attention to the last date in the thread.

Personally, I like when people revive old threads. There's a lot of good information going back several years and a lot of new members that haven't seen them yet. I very much prefer that they do so by actually adding a worthwhile comment, however, and not simply "thanks for the info!"

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    They're looking for old (possibly archived) threads to post in to boost their post count, thinking no one will notice. The don't realize it causes them to bump to the top of the "New Posts" list. Other times, they're doing a search for a topic and then post in it without paying any particular attention to the last date in the thread.

Personally, I like when people revive old threads. There's a lot of good information going back several years and a lot of new members that haven't seen them yet. I very much prefer that they do so by actually adding a worthwhile comment, however, and not simply "thanks for the info!"

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I usually try to do a search for a topic, and will post in that thread, such as the one I did on Ballistol. In this forum though it seems like necrothreading is especially frowned upon.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I usually try to do a search for a topic, and will post in that thread, such as the one I did on Ballistol. In this forum though it seems like necrothreading is especially frowned upon.

There will always be someone complaining about necroposting, but the vast majority of us (including the entirety of the staff) have no problem with reviving a dead thread with a useful and relevant comment.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It has a name? Oh lord.

Yep. And a graphic! :):

threadraise.gif

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. It is easy to make a mistake and not notice the date, especially if its on a subject I care about. There are lots of gun experts that are just learning how to be on the forum and not sound like an a$$, much less worry about posting statistics. Newbies make mistakes.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    As some have already stated, I don't have a problem with necroposting if they have something useful to add. Noobs are also given grief for creating new threads on the same topics over and over by some old-timers. :fogey: Can't blame them for interpreting that as a license to use existing threads instead. Hopefully, they will have read some of the info in the old thread and learned from it. :oldwise:

Top Bottom