• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So, assuming by several hundred you meant somewhere between $200 and $500 and you spend $30 hours a year, you basically taking a job "paying" between $6.67 (below minimum wage) and $16.67 an hour to load ammo.

If that's a good deal for you, then perfect. If that's a bad deal for you, then it isn't.

Of course, that's leaving out side benefits, like being able to make your own subsonic ammo, if you shoot suppressed (which is more expensive than range ammo) and being able to keep rolling your own during a shortage crisis (though I guess you could stockpile cheap factory ammo to get the same benefit, substituting money for time during times of plenty).

I would ballpark the savings in the $500-$600/yr over bulk ammo. Probably higher if I factored in match quality 69gr/77gr .223; and yes, my 147gr 9mms (that's all I load) are used in a silencer (the jhps are fully jacketted, incl the base, so they're very clean for silencer use). and my cheapo 55gr .223s are about 1.5moa, better than most bulk m193 for instance. If you went apples to apples it would probably be closer to $1k-$1500 savings.

Asside from the ~18 hrs actually at the press, the rest is spent during times I'd just be sitting on my butt watching TV/movies anyways (doing things like sorting brass or filling primer tubes), so I'm not really giving anything up for that stuff.

While I don't really care what hourly wage I'm "paying myself," I guess you could approximate ~$600/20 hrs or about $30/hr if that's what matters to you. (If you factor in apples-to-apples quality, it would be $50-$75 / hr)

I hate reloading. It's a damn chore to me. If it wasn't worth it $-wise and because of compeition requirements, I wouldn't do it.

-rvb

ps. that's compared to on-line bulk prices. savings would be what? 2-3x compared to retail chains like Dicks?
    -rvb

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The reloaders need to stop pushing the reloading issue on the people that buy factory ammo. My reason behind this is that I will gladly pick up their brass that they leave behind. I have at least 10,000 rounds of empty brass for everything I shoot except for .357.

I was shooting next to a couple guys that were busting through 500 rounds of 9mm and 5.56. I asked if they reloaded and they said they did not and that I could have it if I wanted.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The reloaders need to stop pushing the reloading issue on the people that buy factory ammo. My reason behind this is that I will gladly pick up their brass that they leave behind.

Oh, I'm not pushing it on people. We need as few people as possible trying to buy powder these days. Think .22LR is bad? That's nothin'! Powder is where the real shortage is at.... sucks.

-rvb

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Oh, I'm not pushing it on people. We need as few people as possible trying to buy powder these days. Think .22LR is bad? That's nothin'! Powder is where the real shortage is at.... sucks.

-rvb

I'm buying Bullseye for $16 per pound and 8208 XBR for $20. So I'm all set on powder for a couple years.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know that when I start reloading that I won't save any money at all... Because I will just shoot that much more hahaha but that wouldn't be so bad:):

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Just curious, but for those that re-load HOW do they calculate that 'cost per round'? Case, primer, powder, bullet = $ / round?

To calculate cost per round accurately, one must also figure in the reloader(s), dies, scales, measures, books, holders, brass buckets, cleaner / polisher, cost of building a bench / workspace (large or small), locks for securing the reloading equipment (room, cabinet, whatever), perhaps additional cleaning equipment, and so forth. ALL that (and likely some things I'm forgetting) cost... something, and really should be factored in to that 'cost per round' price.

AND time. That 'hour' they spend reloading, others may spend working. So, for example, two guys each make $20 / hr. One guy spends 4 hours reloading = $80, the non-reloader works those 4 extra hours = $80 (maybe $120, if they're paid time-and-a-half for the overtime.) That 'lost income time' likely should be factored in as well.

They may or may not do so. :dunno: But, for the few guys (seems to be more of a 'guy thing') I've personally known, they don't (didn't) calculate any of the equipment (including the workspace) or time in to their cost per round, just what each finished cartridge cost.

I would hazard a guess that the 'true' cost difference isn't as great as may be perceived.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just curious, but for those that re-load HOW do they calculate that 'cost per round'? Case, primer, powder, bullet = $ / round?

To calculate cost per round accurately, one must also figure in the reloader(s), dies, scales, measures, books, holders, brass buckets, cleaner / polisher, cost of building a bench / workspace (large or small), locks for securing the reloading equipment (room, cabinet, whatever), perhaps additional cleaning equipment, and so forth. ALL that (and likely some things I'm forgetting) cost... something, and really should be factored in to that 'cost per round' price.

AND time. That 'hour' they spend reloading, others may spend working. So, for example, two guys each make $20 / hr. One guy spends 4 hours reloading = $80, the non-reloader works those 4 extra hours = $80 (maybe $120, if they're paid time-and-a-half for the overtime.) That 'lost income time' likely should be factored in as well.

They may or may not do so. :dunno: But, for the few guys (seems to be more of a 'guy thing') I've personally known, they don't (didn't) calculate any of the equipment (including the workspace) or time in to their cost per round, just what each finished cartridge cost.

I would hazard a guess that the 'true' cost difference isn't as great as may be perceived.

All my equipment has paid for itself years ago, so that wouldn't be something I'd factor in anymore... Also, I actually enjoy reloading , so I wouldn't attach a value on my time either... Come bad weather, I appreciate having empty cases to load to give myself that fix... Sometimes I really wonder if I enjoy loading more than actually shooting...

I never understood these threads... There are so many variables involved when actually trying to give someone an idea on what possible savings there can be. Variables such as what caliber, just how much you will shoot, whether you cast your own or not, whether you use cast, plated, or jacketed, whether you can get once fired brass free or for very reasonable price, and whether you can buy in bulk...

Reloading probably isn't for everyone. It is most justified if it will be something the person will enjoy doing. It also offers more to those that would want more options as to the type and quality of ammo they might want. Also, the more someone shoots would make loading their own more worth while...

I have never really looked at it as how much I save a round... I prefer to know if I stash back $300 worth of bullets, primers, and powder a month I will be building a MUCH larger inventory than I would be if I was spending that same $300 a month on store bought...

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    All my equipment has paid for itself years ago, so that wouldn't be something I'd factor in anymore...

Ditto. After my first yr of reloading I had recouped the cost, so after that I didn't care any more about the equipment costs.

I never understood these threads... There are so many variables involved when actually trying to give someone an idea on what possible savings there can be. Variables such as ...

Yup. I was just trying to dispel the myth that it took so too much time away from family or you couldn't save money only loading things like 9mm...

Oh, oh, and I don't think in terms of cost per round, but cost per thousand. I try to never buy less than 5k worth of components at a time. More yu buy, the cheaper it is. It doesn't spoil.

-rvb

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...It is most justified if it will be something the person will enjoy doing...
    I absolutely agree, XV. Just as with any hobby.

I was simply stating that those elements should be factored in IF one wants to get into reloading as a 'cost savings', which is basically the topic of the thread - expense.

I appreciate the insight. :yesway:

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    Not too many hobbies give you a return on investment. $21 a box 45 acp I load myself for $7 is a savings of $14 a box times 31 boxes is $434. Which pays for my Dillon 550b... Which payed for itself long ago. Not bad!! And nobodys pushing reloading on anyone. But to say there is no savings is B.S... I would rather sit at home in my basement and load ammo any day then be at work thats for sure!!! My time is free!!!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

-rvb

This.

Reloading is time consuming, difficult and super dangerous. Don't do it! Think of all the time you'll be able watch TV or screw around on the internet instead of making ammo!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have neither the time or inclination to reload. Sometimes I shoot a couple times a month, sometimes every other month. Depends on the ebb and flow of life.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh, oh, and I don't think in terms of cost per round, but cost per thousand. I try to never buy less than 5k worth of components at a time. More yu buy, the cheaper it is. It doesn't spoil.

-rvb

Not only doesn't it spoil, but you know all too well just how much the bullets you bought 20, 15, 10 or just 5 years ago cost now days.... Even if I had the desire to try to figure what a round cost me to load today using components I might of bought a decade ago, I wouldn't know whether to figure what I have in it or what it would take to replace at todays prices... Remember what ya could get a 2900 ct case of Hornady's FMJ's for 10 years ago ? ;)

I absolutely agree, XV. Just as with any hobby.

I was simply stating that those elements should be factored in IF one wants to get into reloading as a 'cost savings', which is basically the topic of the thread - expense.

I appreciate the insight.

All your points ought to be figured in for anyone deciding whether to get into reloading. I have known too many that have jumped in and for whatever reason have ended up selling their equipment.

Even if I didn't enjoy it, I think I would still reload just for the flexibility it gives me. It has carried my shooting habits through every shortage we have had for the last 25+ years... Also, even though I'm not huge on figuring savings per round, it has also allowed me to get into calibers I wouldn't be able to otherwise...

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I tend to do 90% of my loading during winter months with a couple 150.00 turret presses and crank out a couple 100 an hour when in the groove.
    I have nothing to do when i get home and there is 8 inches of snow and -20 at least this winter.
    This saves me at least half if not better on 9mm and 45acp which i shoot a very large
    amount of in spring and summer. I probably do 10,000 of each when i have alot of time especially when its cold. I think i
    was born in the wrong hemisphere being that i cant stand cold weather.... So it is well worth my time weather permitting lol.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Not too many hobbies give you a return on investment. $21 a box 45 acp I load myself for $7 is a savings of $14 a box times 31 boxes is $434. Which pays for my Dillon 550b... Which payed for itself long ago. Not bad!! And nobodys pushing reloading on anyone. But to say there is no savings is B.S... I would rather sit at home in my basement and load ammo any day then be at work thats for sure!!! My time is free!!!

Great post!! It kills me these guys talking about their time is worth such and such $$ amount, WHAT!!? is this same calculation used for ur time sleeping,eating, drinking,love making (prolly aint getting much love if ur so worried about how much ur worth) LOL.
    I can understand if u don't shoot that much or are financially stable, but come on!! if one can save $14 on a box of 45acp that's worth it in my book. Shoot lead and save even more!!

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    Great post!! It kills me these guys talking about their time is worth such and such $$ amount, WHAT!!? is this same calculation used for ur time sleeping,eating, drinking,love making (prolly aint getting much love if ur so worried about how much ur worth) LOL.
    I can understand if u don't shoot that much or are financially stable, but come on!! if one can save $14 on a box of 45acp that's worth it in my book. Shoot lead and save even more!!

My love making time is worth $44 per hour with pension, profit sharing and 90-10 No deductible insurance through Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield!!! Lol.. Jk

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So if the non-reloaders are going to pull the equipment cost card, then I'm gonna do the same. How much gas do you spend going to buy the ammo? What about the payment of the car? License plates, insurance. The time away from your family going to pick it up. Let me guess..... you were already going to Walmart anyway in the family truckster with the family in tow. How much extra did you spend on other stuff while you were there? We all know you really went there for the ammo, but got lured into impulse buying. You decide that it would just be easier to grab a bite to eat since you are already out and your still giddy that you found the box of 9mm for $15. So what is your true cost?????

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    To all of you who do not reload , I want to thank you . Brass is the most expensive component in reloading . You ,who leave your brass laying in the dirt , have paid for my press and all other reloading needs . You have saved me thousands of dollars on ammo , and I can reload more accurate ammo to boot then you can buy at a store. My time is as important as yours ,I work full time and still do all the family things I should , but for relaxing I just go to my reloading room turn on the TV watch the Bears , Cubs ,or History channel and RELOAD . I shoot 2 times a month average ,and love the confidence it gives me.So , thanks again ,just keep the brass coming .

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    HPS I guess they got some 4th of July only sale from Freedom Munitions. Basically the their factory new stuff at factory remanufactured prices and they ran free shipping that day or something... Idk how they did it haha but we will not it does not seem!

Top Bottom