• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I am looking at purchasing another AK. It is built on a Nodak Spud receiver and I'm not familiar with there products. My main questions is are they any good and what should I look for. The gun is priced at $400. Good/Bad? It is a beautiful looking gun.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    NoDak's are good to go.

An AK specific thing I check is whether you can make the bolt carrier "jump" out of the receiver rails... I pull up on the charging handle while working the action, then repeat while pushing down.

Look at the rear trunnion to see if it's getting beat up by the bolt or firing pin.

A recoil buffer will mask both of the above issues, and sometimes it will mitigate them. OTOH, a recoil buffer can cause short stroking....

$400 isn't a horrible price for any functioning AK.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    I saw the same gun for sale on HT. Nodak is good to go, the question would be who built it and did they know what they were doing.

I would try to find a place to shoot it before you bought it.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have built 3 rifles on NoDak receivers and have been very impressed with their quality and consistency. $400 is a fair price provided it is in good working condition but it is not a steal. If you can get it to the range, that would be your best bet to determine value.

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Thanks for the info. The seller is willing to let me shoot it prior to purchasing. That was one of the first thing I asked about since he offered in the ad. Worse case scenario the case and extra mags are worth at least $100. I will find out tomorrow afternoon if I own another AK.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks for the info. The seller is willing to let me shoot it prior to purchasing. That was one of the first thing I asked about since he offered in the ad. Worse case scenario the case and extra mags are worth at least $100. I will find out tomorrow afternoon if I own another AK.

What type of parts kit was used to complete the build? Some are of better quality than others and might represent a better value for your $400.

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    nodak spud

They are preferred by most AK lovers! The other things to watch for is canted gas tube and front sights. If All checks good that is a good price and I would jump on it!

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Thanks for all the help. I ened up passing on this AK. It felt loose and the receiver was beat up more than I would like.
    Shooter521... after passing on the AK I came by to introduce myself and pick up some night sights for my G27. Looks like I will have to stop by after the 2nd.

BigBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Greentown,In
    I helped my son,who is a mechanical Engineer,build a couple AKs with the NodakSpuds and they were great recievers. AKs functioned flawlessly and looked great.
    Only thing about buying someones built rifle is,you dont know if they knew what they were doing or how they do it. Always take what someone says with caution,I bought a couple SRs years ago and was told they were great shooters. Only thing was I had to takem apart and rework them somewhat to get them to function. Good thing i know what I'm doing.Good guns after that.

Kollector03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Minnesota
    I saw the same gun for sale on HT. Nodak is good to go, the question would be who built it and did they know what they were doing.

I would try to find a place to shoot it before you bought it.

+1 on this. NDS makes good receivers, but a poor builder can make a mess of it.

I have NDS receivers on a M95 folder and a M88 Tantal with no issues at all.

Top Bottom