No Secret I am Blunt and Brutally Honest to a point.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well my grasshopper(our anti friend that has now joined the gun owners club) says he is now ready for live fire. He and his wife asked to come out to our place to use our range. Problem is that I am going to be offline for two weeks for work. And I really want to be sure of their skill set before allowing them to use our range. Granted my wife could help them but I am not sure I am comfortable not being there.

So I came up with an idea of purchasing a class for them to attend. Its put on at a lgs and it’s really priced below what it should be it’s called First Shots.

kind of thinking this might be the best way?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Well my grasshopper(our anti friend that has now joined the gun owners club) says he is now ready for live fire. He and his wife asked to come out to our place to use our range. Problem is that I am going to be offline for two weeks for work. And I really want to be sure of their skill set before allowing them to use our range. Granted my wife could help them but I am not sure I am comfortable not being there.

So I came up with an idea of purchasing a class for them to attend. Its put on at a lgs and it’s really priced below what it should be it’s called First Shots.

kind of thinking this might be the best way?
    I think this is extremely generous. As for your neighbors. The wife would probably get excited, and depending on the guy. He might get offended until the wife let's him know how gracious of a gesture that is. Quite honestly, if you explain the situation, most reasonable people will understand.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Extremely generous and thoughtful you must like these people. A class is great to get their feet wet while you’re away…. Then they can come join you after you’re back.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I think this is extremely generous. As for your neighbors. The wife would probably get excited, and depending on the guy. He might get offended until the wife let's him know how gracious of a gesture that is. Quite honestly, if you explain the situation, most reasonable people will understand.
    I think the cost is like $75.00 so in all honesty its not really a big deal. Besides there will be qualified trainers there that are used to helping first timer.

We are fortunate enough not to have any adjacent homes near our range. But still not being a jerk but I want to make sure everyone is safe and there needs to be a level of trust.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Usually my first go to, but I am largely responsible for them taking on responsibility for being their own first responders.
    I understand fully. It falls back on its hard ro say NO. As Humans want to say Yes and be as helpfull and as accommodating as we can be to others. Sometimes to our own detriment.

Like Hawkeye posted, this is when my range and I will be available.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I think the cost is like $75.00 so in all honesty its not really a big deal. Besides there will be qualified trainers there that are used to helping first timer.

We are fortunate enough not to have any adjacent homes near our range. But still not being a jerk but I want to make sure everyone is safe and there needs to be a level of trust.
    I don't think this is a jerk move. I think this is going above and beyond not just as a friend but as a 2a advocate. This is the exact move we should try to do. It sounds like you just added 2 gun to our fight.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just a little heads up. Not all "instructors" are as safe as they should be. If you haven't been through the class, it'd be worth attending before recommending.

Regardless of class attendance or not, you'd be doing the new shooters and yourself an injustice to not be in attendance, when they are shooting on your range.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Usually my first go to, but I am largely responsible for them taking on responsibility for being their own first responders.
    I applaud you're getting them to come around! That said, you would not be doing them any favors to let them just use your range without some basic instruction. This is real, and there's an order to things.

- Make the decision. Understand the responsibility.
    - Get some training - The basics are simple enough, and don't take a great investment to learn. The basics are 80% of it.
    - Then do some training, or practice if you like.

About the basics: Imagine handing someone a bag of golf clubs, a box of balls, and some tee's; then putting them out on a course. No lessons on how to hold a club, how to position your feet, how to swing, or anything else. No advise or training required because, hey, they watched it on TV, and used to play baseball, right?

I think if your friends skip the most basic training, and just go out and try to "shoot", they are setting up for a bad experience. Aside from the safety concerns, I can't imagine how frustrating and demoralizing it would be to start off excited, then burn through an expensive box of ammo and never hit close to your target. Throw in a few malfunctions (self induced), maybe a few ouchies, and they might decide that this gun stuff really isn't for them.

I think your idea of a class is wonderful, regardless of who pays. At the very least, they should wait until you are around to give them some pointers. I hope they enjoy it, and you've added something meaningful to their lives!

Just my 1.2 cents (adj. for inflation) :)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Just a little heads up. Not all "instructors" are as safe as they should be. If you haven't been through the class, it'd be worth attending before recommending.

Regardless of class attendance or not, you'd be doing the new shooters and yourself an injustice to not be in attendance, when they are shooting on your range.

Agreed 100 percent. While I have not taken this particular class, I have completed some training where the instructor has been in attendance as well. With that I am confident in his teachings and methodology. But excellent point about checking the instructor’s references and background.

Also I took great time and effort to set up our range, which offers a lot of training scenarios, shooting from cover, concealment etc. So absolutely I want to be there, on occasion I will have coworkers that like to come out but that is a who,e different set of circumstances.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a couple of questions.
    Is this "First Shots" class the one offered by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation)?
    If it is, there was no cost when I taught the class.

Now let me be clear. I had nothing to do with the logistics of the classes. I was but a lonely instructor.
    These classes were offered at our local shooting range and were completely free to the students.
    They did not pay for range time, targets, or ammunition.
    Everything was supplied by the range, including the pistols for the class.
    The NSSF loaned the range Ruger semi-auto .22lr pistols.

This was more of an introduction to shooting/safety and not a proficiency class.

I would do some checking before you pay for a class offered free elsewhere.
    The range that held these classes may have covered the costs of the ammo, targets, and range.
    I don't know for sure, but I taught more than 200 people over the course of several months and no-one paid a dime.
    All instructors were volunteers.

Things may have changed since I taught these classes.

Reactions: Leo

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a couple of questions.
    Is this "First Shots" class the one offered by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation)?
    If it is, there was no cost when I taught the class.

Now let me be clear. I had nothing to do with the logistics of the classes. I was but a lonely instructor.
    These classes were offered at our local shooting range and were completely free to the students.
    They did not pay for range time, targets, or ammunition.
    Everything was supplied by the range, including the pistols for the class.
    The NSSF loaned the range Ruger semi-auto .22lr pistols.

This was more of an introduction to shooting/safety and not a proficiency class.

I would do some checking before you pay for a class offered free elsewhere.
    The range that held these classes may have covered the costs of the ammo, targets, and range.
    I don't know for sure, but I taught more than 200 people over the course of several months and no-one paid a dime.
    All instructors were volunteers.

Things may have changed since I taught these classes.
    If you need some rimfire for them or other newbies to shoot, send me a PM with a shipping address.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If it were my range I would decline if I could not be present.
    Like it or not, we are living in a litigious society.
    If you allow others to use the range and something bad happens, just be ready to defend yourself in court.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    If it were my range I would decline if I could not be present.
    Like it or not, we are living in a litigious society.
    If you allow others to use the range and something bad happens, just be ready to defend yourself in court.
    This was my first thought. I’d just explain the liability aspect and tell them I’d be more than happy to bring them out as soon as I was available. I think any reasonable adult would understand.

Top Bottom