• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I own a 147 acre farm North of Greencastle. We use HS kids every year. I guarantee that I'll pay as much attention to this as any other farmer will......

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish
    ^^^This. If the farm isn't taking any cash from uncle sammy, I am on their side. If they are, what do you expect then?

I agree with you that if they aren't taking any money from the G I'm on their side also. If the farmer is on the dole taking 10's of thousands of our tax dollars then I say let them follow every stupid rule that comes down the pike.

For reasons that I won't outline here I know a number of farmers who run some very large farms in the Hamilton Co. and surrounding areas. I for one am sick to ****ing death of hearing them cry/brag that they have to spend 150k on equipment again this year and if they don't they'll have to pay taxes. Do a quick google search on "tax subsidies paid to farmers" and spend a few minutes looking at the hundreds of millions of dollars paid to local farmers.
    Some of it might be legimitate but most of it is just another social welfare program.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I worked on a hog farm all thru my teenage years. I started at 14 and worked summers there till I was 18. I learned so much I would not be the man I am today without that experience. While my "friends" were getting stoned and causing trouble. I was sleeping after having worked my but off for $3.25 per hour. I loved it. Of course the smell would only wear off by Monday morning, back to work. I think so highly that I PLAN on finding a farm for my 2 sons to work on when they are old enough. Crossing the street can be fatal!! So how long till the .gov won't let minors cross the street?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I spent almost every Summer of my childhood on my Grandparents farm.
    Bailing hay, driving tractors, shoveling cow, chicken, sheep, and pig manure, milking the cows by hand, and doing all of the other chores that make up farm work.
    It was hard, smelly, work but it taught me that sometimes in life you have to get sweaty, smelly, and tired to get the job done.
    Kids today consider it hard labor if they have to unload the dishwasher. :n00b:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    To those saying that they're getting what they deserve for taking gov't money, the gov't is so deep into agriculture, that it's nearly impossible not to have a gov't payment or subsidy impact you either directly or indirectly.

This is just another example of barriers to entry in an industry via well meaning regulation.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Sad thing when kids can't get summer jobs. Used to be high school kids bussed tables, grammar school kids delivered papers and cut grass. Now it's adults doing that stuff.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I started working on the family farm at age ten. Was paid a dollar a day. Thought it was a grand deal at the time, mostly I just followed my grandpa around and did some light work here and there to help him out.

Probably started doing more at fourteen, "real" work by that age, at least relative to what a fourteen-year old is capable of.

It's a way of life. Not just for farm kids growing up in the country, the Amish do the same thing. Kids all help out around the farm. GRANDKIDS help out around the farm - and from what I am seeing only a parental exemption was added in - after enough protest.

This is just disgusting. Farm kids have some of the best work ethic out there. Not saying you can't get it elsewhere, plenty of kids do. But a farm is one of the best places to learn the value of putting in a hard day's work. I work around people - even older than I - who are incredibly self-centered and only care about themselves. They do as little as possible to get by without being noticed, and don't care about shoving work burden onto their co-worker's shoulders. They think they should be paid just for showing up, I guess.

The people who have the best work ethic - at least in my experience - have been the farm kids. The ones that started working young. Manual labor is a great character builder and there's no better place to get it than on America's dwindling number of family farms - and if this rule goes into effect those family farms are going to get even smaller yet. Just paves the way for more massive commercial operations.

This whole thing just makes me very, very sad.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Sad thing when kids can't get summer jobs. Used to be high school kids bussed tables, grammar school kids delivered papers and cut grass. Now it's adults doing that stuff.

Hope and change baby!

Be sure to send your thank you notes to that bastard, fearless leader.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Well, farmers do have one of the most dangerous jobs in the nation.

That said, I would rather see one of the most endangering professions brought under control of limits delineated in the Constitution.

Nah... its not about being a dangerous job. The government just doesn't want to allow teens to take away jobs from illegal immigrants :ar15:

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Wow, I guess I'll agree with the farmers that the .Gov should let them run their farms the way they see fit. I'd agree a lot more if the farmers weren't taking all those big fat government subsidy checks.
    If you take the G's money you gotta play by their rules...

The govt payments aren't that big. It might pay 1/5 of my seed bill. Youre not gonna get rich off the govt, if you do then you're not a very good farmer. With the grain prices where they are the govt payments just help pay a bill, but when prices were low it did help farmers more then it does now. We also get taxed on it too. I farm and first started working on the farm when I was about 8 years old. I can guarantee that my kids will be out there working and helping out. Farming is one way for kids to learn responsibilities, especially in 4-h with livestock.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    According to Obama & OSHA, all of us country boys and girls should be dead! Started working in the tobacco field when I was 10 years old and making 10 cents an hour and loved it. It cost me a nickel to buy a bottle of Orange Crush. I worked for the government in the county experiment program doing crop growth testing program. Tobacco would grow 14 feet tall and we young folks crawed through the fields pulling off the dry leaves on the bottom of the stalk. I did farm chores after school and on weekends. Now mom and dad would be guilty of child abuse. Today, my kids demand an allownace of 1000.00 a month, healthcare, transportation, insurance, college, clothing plus extras when needed. They don't want to hear that I'm retired & don't have a job. Yes, they all voted for Obama.

tdm1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    im sorry but if it wasnt for teens working on farms when i grew up we wouldnt of had the cars we drove or the money for gas to drive them its not like today when these kids say give give me

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I have to wonder what on earth would prompt legislation on this subject to begin with.:dunno:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have to wonder what on earth would prompt legislation on this subject to begin with.:dunno:
    A complete lack of understanding, on the part of the ruling Liberal Elite, of how this nation works.
    With a little luck this will all be a bad memory after November.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wasn't this shot down on Friday?:dunno:

The U.S. Department of Labor today (April 26, 2012) issued the following statement regarding the withdrawal of a proposed rule dealing with children who work in agricultural vocations:
    "T...he Obama Administration is firmly committed to promoting family farmers and respecting the rural way of life, especially the role that parents and other family members play in passing those traditions down through the generations. The Obama Administration is also deeply committed to listening and responding to what Americans across the country have to say about proposed rules and regulations. As a result, the Department of Labor is announcing today the withdrawal of the proposed rule dealing with children under the age of 16 who work in agricultural vocations. The decision to withdraw this rule - including provisions to define the 'parental exemption' - was made in response to thousands of comments expressing concerns about the effect of the proposed rules on small family-owned farms. To be clear, this regulation will not be pursued for the duration of the Obama Administration. Instead, the Departments of Labor and Agriculture will work with rural stakeholders - such !

as the American Farm Bureau Federation, the National Farmers Union, the Future Farmers of America, and 4-H - to develop an educational program to reduce accidents to young workers and promote safer agricultural working practices."
    This is a huge victory for American production agriculture ... and for school-based agricultural education ... and we extend our thanks to all who made the choice to get involved in preventing this proposed rulemaking from being implemented.

Top Bottom