• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Family members of mine are going on a cruise ship and I was interested in seeing what the rules were for the particular cruise ship were.

No firearms.

No knifes of any kind. Even specifically says no sharp objects. Oddly enough, scissors under 4" are allowed.

No pepper sprays of any kind.

No baseball bats, cricket mallets, hockey sticks, et al.

If you were going on the cruise, what would you take with you to defend yourself? No cheating and going on a diatribe and saying "I wouldn't go, blah blah blah."

Let's say that metal detectors are in play and that your bags will be lightly searched.

What do you carry on the cruise ship and how do you go about doing it? :dunno:

I, of course, had Burl in mind and wondered what he would do in this situation. If he doesn't find this thread, I'll send him a PM and ask him what he'd do.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    No BLADES???

Man, that is rough.

I took my tactical pen into the embassy when I went to DC last month since everything else was verboten. A bit of cord and a bit of weight makes an awesome weapon for someone who has practiced. Huh, my jacket has something that looks a lot like that in the hood draw...

(crosses off going on a cruise)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I've seen "tactical" pens before but I've never seen any with blades inside. Recommend a link or brand of one specifically? I was thinking the polymer grab-n-stab worn around the neck. I have a Kershaw I got for next to nothing leftover. If I were in the scenario, I might try to take something I cared little about and to see what might happen at the cruise port.

Hammer, what cruise line did you ship out on?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    A combination lock? A roll of dimes? An extendable baton might make it past the screeners...

Combo locks make EXCELLENT weights for the end of a cord...

Ahhh, brings me back to highschool.

Let us not forget the ever present glass bottle. I assume THOSE are allowed on a cruise ship? I have successfully scared off a mugger when I was a kid on my paper route with the smashed neck of a bottle and a lot of attitude.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting. We have a cruise planned for this coming October, (for our honeymoon.)

I figure I'll just palm a steak knife at dinner the first night. Then I don't have to worry about getting it through two sets of airport security and the customs checkpoint before we get on the boat.

And of course, I'll leave it on the boat when we disembark; I don't want to steal it, obviously.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Interesting. We have a cruise planned for this coming October, (for our honeymoon.)

I figure I'll just palm a steak knife at dinner the first night. Then I don't have to worry about getting it through two sets of airport security and the customs checkpoint before we get on the boat.

And of course, I'll leave it on the boat when we disembark; I don't want to steal it, obviously.

Actually a good idea.

Malard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    i duct taped a cold steel fgx karambit to my chest. on our honeymoon got through no problem since the knief has no metal what so ever. kept ot in our backpack when we were at the pool, in port though I had it on me at all times. nassau is not a place i wouldn't have some way to defend myself

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I had to leave my folder with port security when we went on Celebrity about 7 years ago. Fortunately, it was there on my return. Were I going today, one of THESE would be accompanying me, along with a survival bracelet (paracord) and a few other non-metallic items that would do the job.

Above all, I would take knowledge with me and would be very aware of my surroundings and how I could use various items around me... a chair, a pen, things like that, for different emergencies that could arise.

And I agree, there are lots of places in the Caribbean that I would not want to be unarmed.

Blessings,
    Bill

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Cruise ships are ripe with improvised weapons. I'd take my flashlight

^^^^^ this.

I have over 100 days on a cruise ship there are tons of improvised weapons available around the ship.

They xray your bags every time you get on and off the ship and you go through metal detectors when you board the ship at each port. Flashlight for the win.

Top Bottom