NFA Noob Day A.A.R.s (After Action Reports) Post Here!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    What a fantastic day! I too want to extend my sincere appreciation to the Rice family. Talk about gracious hosts! LMW and MrsLMW, esrice, and KR_Treefrog, went out of their way to make us all feel welcome and at home. It’s no stretch of imagination to say that they own a piece of heaven right here on earth. Deep appreciation also goes to the vendors who brought more “toys” for we noobs to play with then should be legally allowed by law…wait a sec…it was ALL legal!

I’m now seriously bitten by the NFA bug. No cure for the bite other than to give in to it completely. My first purchase will be a .22 suppressor. Using subsonic ammo they are Hollywood quiet. The action makes more noise than the round firing…wow. Even the SR1911 is considerably less noisy with the right can; I’m talking no ear protection quiet.

It’s not possible for me to pick a favorite NFA toy. The Thompson SMG, the “Grease gun”, the M16, AK, Armsel Striker, (thanks Dirtbiker for the .12 ga. ammo!), and all the silenced goodness was just great fun. I didn’t bring candy for the M1919 but watched it all day long. WOW, and I thought the Mosin was a flamethrower! I can’t imagine how it would feel to be pinned down on the receiving end of one of those.

The food was fabulous, and after a full day of slinging lead everyone was ready to eat! The ribs, chili, sides, and deserts were wonderful! T_Star’s Maple, Bacon, Beer cupcakes were the best cupcakes I’ve ever eaten! And the four dozen that she made and brought down didn’t last long at all. Seems I wasn’t the only one who liked them. I haven’t feasted like that since last Thanksgiving. If you left hungry then there was something very wrong with you.

Lastly as so many have mentioned it was great to be able to meet so many INGOers. I met so many INGO “family members” yesterday, and all are first class folks. I would honestly trust my back to any of them. I listened to a bunch of stories, told a few, and laughed a lot. I’ve known our newest member “Lawman” for a few years now and will say that he’s just one of us. He did have a great time yesterday. If all the counties in Indiana had a guy like Lawman on point we as a state would be so much better off. We’re very fortunate in BC to have this guy on point.

I hope to make it back again next year…as a NFA veteran!

Last edited:

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    I love Lovemywoods! Thank you to the Rice family, venders, and all the nooby attendees for making an awesome experience. The weather was perfect and the setting of the Rice home is beautiful. I got to hold history, control powerful firearms, and eat great food. My favorite were the full auto AK’s. The .22 and 9 mm suppressors have a subtlety that I describe as meditative. One meditation technique is to listen to all the noises around you – then focus on the silence in-between the noises. Focusing on the sounds of a suppressed gun shot has a bizarrely relaxing effect. A Huntertown Arms Guardian 22 will be in my future. Possibly a 300 blackout suppressor as well? While the guns were the main event, the food was an appropriate encore. The rib were tender fall of the bone perfection. Corn bread made with honey and heavy cream – I did not know such a thing was possible. The chili, beans, and mac-n-cheese with peperoni all were top notch. Then to top it all off – bacon cupcakes and chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. The day was very yummy satisfying. This joyful experience left me feeling 5 years younger. I found the Fountain of Youth in Brown County.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    serboom.jpg

Here comes the BOOM!

I have to say this is one of the best pictures I have ever seen. I may be bias on this though.

Seriously I want to think the Rice family and every person that was a part of this event. This includes organizers, vendors and Ingo members. Saturday is a day that I will remember forever and I am beyond thankful to everyone involved. It is great to have this many people together from many walks of life with one common interest and see how well everyone clicks and shares knowledge and gear. It really shows how good of a community we have both on Ingo and with "real" gun supporters.

I am very thankful for the opportunity to be part of this great experience and only wish there was a way to really show how much I appreciated everything.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Here's my day of fun... not in any order.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/-guOlLj2ktU[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/lg0KCq3PRDg[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/zD2bLUlESRQ[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/1q-rfC6Bwxk[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/QeTu9yV0iXw[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/uc_Qf2eTkck[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/QEPRr-2KMBI[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/HCFP0rfy59k[/ame]
    [ame]http://youtu.be/VljkZ7-s_1M[/ame]
    Just remember, "Shooting the 1919 makes your hose grow."
    [ame]http://youtu.be/ecc9LCW1SKE[/ame]

Last edited:

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I'll get some of my pics and vids up later.

I want to thank everyone who put this together, without the hard work and planning and the weapons, none of this would be possible for us.

Thanks to the Rice family, VU, Shooter, Curaheegans, AGS, Apllied Balistics, Big Craig, MjrDucky, and OBV8.

I will say that to hold an iconic WWII weapon and put about 200 rounds through while cutting down a tree is frickin AWESOME!!!:rockwoot::rockwoot:

Serbu with a 3" mag one handed with your bad shoulder isn't the smartest thing in the world.

Great people and while I'm not really a "Noob" to full auto weapons, getting to hang out with all of you and shoot and talk was AWESOME as well. As everyone else said, food was GREAT, the ribs, the meatballs, chili, mac and cheese, and everything else was just great!.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm going to try a slightly different format for this year's AAR. Rather than one large post I'm going to capture my experience in several posts.

Pulling up to lovemywoods' house folks were asked to head over to registration where they picked up nametags and signed event waivers. Many thanks to Kr_Treefrog2 for manning the table.

NFASaturday.jpg

NFASaturday-4.jpg

Also thanks to Dirtebiker for bringing Long's Donuts!

NFASaturday-6.jpg

Folks then brought their food items into the house to be held until dinner.

NFASaturday-2.jpg

Soon everyone had gathered together for the safety briefing. lovemywoods welcomed everyone while esrice introduced the organizers and vendors and VUPDblue gave a run down of the medical action plan and safety procedures.

NFASaturday-14.jpg

NFASaturday-17.jpg

After that everyone loaded up their gear into the ATV cart and then headed down the big hill to the range.

NFASaturday-11.jpg

NFASaturday-18.jpg

NFASaturday-19.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    At the range INGOers were greeted with an array of paper and wood targets, bowling pins, and even some tree trunks that would eventually be sawed in half with machinegun fire. :ar15:

NFASaturday-23.jpg

NFASaturday-80.jpg

NFASaturday-116.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Then it was time to go live!!

The first block was all suppressed shooting. curraheeguns of SSNFA gave a brief overview of suppressors, their design, and legality.

The next block was on SBRs, SBSs, and AOWs, presented by bigcraig and VUPDblue.

The final block was on Machineguns with shooter521 sharing an excellent lesson on how the law defines a "machinegun".

NFASaturday-24.jpg

NFASaturday-40.jpg

NFASaturday-43.jpg

NFASaturday-53.jpg

NFASaturday-59.jpg

NFASaturday-63.jpg

NFASaturday-73.jpg

NFASaturday-91.jpg

NFASaturday-99.jpg

NFASaturday-104.jpg

NFASaturday-135.jpg

NFASaturday-141.jpg

NFASaturday-154.jpg

NFASaturday-159.jpg

NFASaturday-177.jpg

NFASaturday-187.jpg

NFASaturday-192.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The GREAT part about an event like NFA Day is getting to meet a whole new crop of INGOers and introducing them to the world of NFA firearms.

Let me introduce you to a few INGOers. . . .

This is Nathan. Behind him is Aaron (lawrra). They came representing AGS Consulting.

NFASaturday-26.jpg

This is Tom (tk6968). With that ammo belt I prefer to think of him as "Tactical Santa".

NFASaturday-33.jpg

This is Shadow. But we all called him Shadow.

NFASaturday-45.jpg

Tommy (Hamsterstyle) was VERY lucky that we had a last-minute dropout.

NFASaturday-46.jpg

Stan (Printmitch) from Applied Ballistics in Lafayette brought the 1919. He was also responsible for several one-liners repeated frequently throughout the day. Most notably "Remember folks, the 1919 makes your hose grow!"

NFASaturday-48.jpg

Joe (GunSlinger) probably had the shortest commute (about 5 minutes!).

NFASaturday-83.jpg

Kevin and Therese (darkkevin and t_star) came all the way from NWI with several others from the NWI INGO crew.

NFASaturday-158.jpg

Lawman had this grin permanently affixed to his face all day. He brought an interesting perspective to the day that was appreciated by everyone.

NFASaturday-97.jpg

More grinning, but this time from Eric (Ericpwp).

NFASaturday-106.jpg

And more grinning. . . . Kyle (scottka).

NFASaturday-109.jpg

Tyler (Westside) - check.
    Perma-grin - check.

NFASaturday-119.jpg

Jeff (3steps) kept his grin on the inside. (actually he was probably deep in thought trying to figure out how many of his children he'd have to sell to afford an MP-5)

NFASaturday-122.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Dinner this year was so awesome that it could almost be its own event. lovemywoods made 55lbs of BBQ ribs, while INGOers brought some killer chili, mac 'n cheese, corn bread, meatballs, and enough desserts to send me into a sugar coma.

A special thanks goes to HotPocket who, although she wasn't an attendee this year, still sent over her internet-famous Peanut Butter Brownies for everyone to enjoy. The kindness of INGOers knows no bounds.

NFASaturday-197.jpg

NFASaturday-198.jpg

NFASaturday-199.jpg

NFASaturday-200.jpg

NFASaturday-202.jpg

NFASaturday-204.jpg

NFASaturday-206.jpg

NFASaturday-207.jpg

NFASaturday-208.jpg

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    And in no particular order, some other interesting shots from the day.

Ok now I get the Situational Awareness comment, but I was working and you were jackin around!

NFASaturday-195.jpg

OMG I saw you guys looking at this, I'm glad I didn't come over to check it out. I would have been screaming like a little girl!

NFASaturday-9.jpg

See my responses with the pics

Top Bottom