• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I imagine I may be able to find some information if I searched enough, but I'll just ask.

I live in Indiana. I only currently own a .22 rifle. I shoot it now and them. I shoot raccoons I've caged. I have shot a hand gun before,h but it's been awhile.

I just applied for a hand gun permit. I assume I'll get it since I don't have anything but a 7 year old DUI on my record.

Now the questions:

Do I need to have the permit in order to buy a hand gun?

Even after doing some research, I'll be fairly green with the info I know of hand guns. Where is best to buy from? Gun show, local gun shop (maybe 21st Century Firearms in Bluffton).

What are your suggestions for a beginner? I would like a .22 (Ruger maybe) and a higher cal. The .22 mostly because of the cheap ammo and for my wife to shoot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Welcome aboard, greetings from SE Indiana :welcome:

No, you do not need a permit to buy a handgun, only to carry it off of your property. We don't have any gun registration in Indiana

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like already posted above, no need for a LTCH to buy, just to carry.

As for where to go, local gun shops can be good depending on where you are. You stated 21st and that would be a great place to visit. Great selection, good staff, and they know their stuff. Take your time, look around and handle as many as you can. Do some research, but also go with what feels best to you since it will be your gun. We can all give you our opinions on specific makes and models, but that doesn't mean you will feel the same. Asking advice is good, just don't forget to listen to yourself as well.

Good luck with your search and ask plenty of questions. :ingo:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I suggest you make some friends at your local gun shop. If they know you will be coming back frequently, they should be taking good care of you. The best place for a new shooter to hang out on a Saturday is the local gunshop.

IMO, disposing of filthy vermin like raccoons is not a "sporting" proposition. They are quite tasty even so...

I used to kill them with blue juice injections when i worked for the City. That is not very "sporting" either.

:welcome:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Welcome aboard, greetings from SE Indiana :welcome:

No, you do not need a permit to buy a handgun, only to carry it off of your property. We don't have any gun registration in Indiana

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this info is false and that as long as the gun is unloaded put away and seperate from ammo that you can now transport it around like to the range and back per new legislation

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    That sounds sporting.

The raccoons kill my chickens. You have to kill them once you cage them. It's not right to transport them to another location for a few reasons. They could be carrying disease and you could spread it to other areas. It's not right to just make them someone else's problem.

I'm using the .22 to kill them now. Takes about 3 shots on average. I may have to try something else soon though. The cage (trap) is starting to take a beating from through shots. might be time to fill a garbage can with water.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Yeah... much better to bludgeon them to death

Don't knock it raccoons r distructive. We can keep our front porch from being destroyed. My wife's flower pots turned over and just a general mess. Sorry but I have to say I have don't it only cause there a nusaince.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    The raccoons kill my chickens. You have to kill them once you cage them. It's not right to transport them to another location for a few reasons. They could be carrying disease and you could spread it to other areas. It's not right to just make them someone else's problem.

I'm using the .22 to kill them now. Takes about 3 shots on average. I may have to try something else soon though. The cage (trap) is starting to take a beating from through shots. might be time to fill a garbage can with water.

3 shots?

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012

My little brother shot a raccoon I had trapped this summer, and the first .22 between the eyes just pissed it off. Scared lil' bro half to death, and sent him sprinting to grab another .22 to stick in the single-shot bolt-action to finish the job.

It took 3 shots.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom