• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Alright reloader's, hoping you can help get me started.

I've got the basics coming in a week from now. Just a simple setup for now, lee hand press as I don't want a fixed garage setup. Going to be loading strictly 9mm for now. I've got some questions about the flaring of the case mouth and the crimping operations.

For flaring the case mouth, I've seen videos and read about how overflaring will wear the case out quicker and obviously underflaring would making bullet seating difficult and possibly crush brass if not flared at all. So my question is since I don't have past experience, does someone who reloads 9mm have a diameter to which to flare the case mouth to?

I'm just picturing that if I have a number to work with, then I can just take a caliper to the flared mouth to know when I'm right on. Does this sound like a decent mindset? Or is this strictly a 'looks good/test and see' issue?

Next, the crimping operation. Visually, how can you tell that you've properly crimped? Or is this die not really depth dependent?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! I'm getting really pumped to start saving some money, or at least picking up a new gratifying hobby.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Try not to overthink the flaring.. I load a fair amount. For the flaring process I have the die set so it just barely touches the case mouth. Then take my first piece of brass and a bullet. Then run the press while screwing the die in a little at a time until you can just put the bullet into the case mouth without it falling out... That is enough.. Keep the die there and run the rest of your brass through.... (hope that makes sence. if not pm me and I'll be more descriptive.) As far as the crimp.. What type of dies are you using.. Most of the works goes by feel. You can tell when pressing the round into the die by your effort how hard of a crimp you are placing on the bullets. PM me with your die set and I will do my best to describe better.
    Have a good one and hope this helps!

Randy Divine

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    So. IN
    What Stimp said about the flair. Just enough to set the bullet so it won't fall out. Also, a good rule of thumb, when taper crimping; crimp just enough to take the flair out. The 9mm headspaces on the rim, and it should be no more than .380 in diameter at the mouth. Load a couple without primer and powder and see how they work. Experiment a little with the crimp and OAL and see what runs through your pistol the best.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Proper crimp should be bullet diameter + 2x case thickness at the mouth. So, .355 (if using jacketed heads) + .010-.012 = .375-.380.

You are correct, you don't want to over work the brass with flare and then crimp. Try opening it up to .390 and then work up in small increments. For me, it is a bit of a feel thing and I can't say I've ever measured it. I reload .38 Super (think long cased 9mm) and I flare just enough so I don't peel any jacket when I seat the bullet.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Sweet. Thanks guys. I'm an engineer, so having nice objective numerical values is a big plus for.

I think I will shoot for the values and then, see how it goes.

Just got an e-mail. My new gear all came in this morning!:ingo:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I just bought that Lee Hand Press kit myself for an addition to my bench setup. I love this thing! As far as your question about flaring, I have only been reloading about 6 months but have done about 1000 rounds of various calibers so i'm feeling more and more comfortable with it. I have found that the instructions that come with the Lee dies (if thats what you bought) will get you very close. Just try a few rounds with a little more flare and a little less flare to get it to where you like it. The trick I use to minimize the amount of brass that gets reused for setting up your dies is to buy a bullet puller (a good thing to have anyway) and then just reuse the same couple of cases and bullets to get things right.

As someone else mentioned, if you need further help, pm me and I'll help where I can. Being an engineer, I think you'll find that this is much simpler than it seems when you are trying to decide what equipment you need/how to do it.

One more thing, if you didn't already buy one, the Lee Modern Reloading book is great to have since he talks specifically about how to use his products and there are some extra tips in there on setting your dies up that aren't in the included instructions.

Have fun!

Cam

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sweet. Thanks guys. I'm an engineer, so having nice objective numerical values is a big plus for.

I think I will shoot for the values and then, see how it goes.

Just got an e-mail. My new gear all came in this morning!:ingo:

Darn engineers...always trying to make things complicated with numbers and crap.... :D

I'm one too, and am the same way. I'm just getting into reloading 9mm too, so this was a helpful thread for me too! :ingo:

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Thanks for the help guys. I've got my brass, bullets and all my gear needed to start. Very basic setup, I'm going to be hand dipping each powder charge onto a scale for now. Although I will be very low volume for now.

Now I've got to get my hands on some primers and powder and I'll be ready to crank out my first test batch of 50 to try at the local range.

husker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Darn engineers...always trying to make things complicated with numbers and crap.... :D
    In one of the get-started-reloading threads the other day, somebody recommended buying calipers. My first thought was "Why not just use the ones you have?"
    I assumed everybody had a set or two lying around, but apparently this is not the case. :)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    In one of the get-started-reloading threads the other day, somebody recommended buying calipers. My first thought was "Why not just use the ones you have?"
    I assumed everybody had a set or two lying around, but apparently this is not the case. :)

Yep, it is one of the most basic tools to have in your tool box, yet very frew have them.

Top Bottom