• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man, I am really needing to get me a new truck. Tried ordering one earlier this year and Chevy or Ford would not take order. I have to have 3/4 or 1 ton. It dont help that I want Ford XLT or Chevy WT, instead of the more pricey models. I am not sure my truck can make it another summer, probably has 450,000 miles on it now. I am at that point where I have to either get a new truck or start rebuilding on mine. Now they are charging $4000-5000 over MSRP and you get a white truck. If I am buying new, I want the color I want. You guys have any thoughts or suggestions? Wonder when truck market will ever get back to normal?

Maybe I should just do some work on my old truck and go for 1 more year.......

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    There’s a place, I think up north of Indy, called I think Indy Trucks that used to have all sorts of work trucks for sale early last year when I was still looking. Their inventory is online, but haven’t been on there in over a year.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    There’s a place, I think up north of Indy, called I think Indy Trucks that used to have all sorts of work trucks for sale early last year when I was still looking. Their inventory is online, but haven’t been on there in over a year.
    This is the place. They also have a location by Edinburgh Outlet Mall

https://indytrucks.com/

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Do you have to have a new truck or is it just because you want to order it specifically how you want it? If you are ok with used, you might just have to cast a wider net. I know several guys who have bought trucks out of state and found what they wanted for less than here. I know there is a big market for bigger trucks in Texas. Are even shops down there that will go get a used truck and do a once over on it for a couple hundred bucks. You can do the financing over the phone/internet, and buy a one way plane ticket and drive it home, all cheaper than buying one locally. Plus you hav the benefit of a used truck that has never seen snow!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I appreciate the thoughts. I have looked at used trucks, but it seems even trucks with 100K miles are selling for more than ordering a new one. This truck here https://indytrucks.com/vdp/17995867...159-Work-Truck-for-sale-in-Edinburgh-IN-46124 is just about like the new one I want to order. Used with 67K miles and is $9000 more than ordering a brand new one, with a full factory warranty.

I just cant make myself pay that much of a premium. If I am going to drop $40-45K........I would at least like to get what I want, since this will be the last new truck I buy in my lifetime.

They claim if I order a new Chevy I will have it by April of 2022, but if I order a new one and then chips become available before then...I may be able to get one from dealer. I wonder if you order a new truck, then buy one at the dealer before the ordered one arrives.....will they let you cancel the new order? I have never bought a brand new truck.......

I do get GM employee pricing, which isnt helping my cause.....since dealers know they can get much more for them than I am paying with discount.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    There are a metric sh&t ton of F-250's, and 350 sitting around here, I'm right across the river from the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant....with the Biden chip shortage, they can't do anything with them...they're almost all sitting outside...in the weather....The latest series of Fords will have rust as an option.......

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I appreciate the thoughts. I have looked at used trucks, but it seems even trucks with 100K miles are selling for more than ordering a new one. This truck here https://indytrucks.com/vdp/17995867...159-Work-Truck-for-sale-in-Edinburgh-IN-46124 is just about like the new one I want to order. Used with 67K miles and is $9000 more than ordering a brand new one, with a full factory warranty.

I just cant make myself pay that much of a premium. If I am going to drop $40-45K........I would at least like to get what I want, since this will be the last new truck I buy in my lifetime.

They claim if I order a new Chevy I will have it by April of 2022, but if I order a new one and then chips become available before then...I may be able to get one from dealer. I wonder if you order a new truck, then buy one at the dealer before the ordered one arrives.....will they let you cancel the new order? I have never bought a brand new truck.......

I do get GM employee pricing, which isnt helping my cause.....since dealers know they can get much more for them than I am paying with discount.
    Never reveal down payment, discounts, etc. until its time to sit down with the finance guy. (after the handshake) Gives them less opportunity to screw with you if they know you have alot to put down (push you to a more expensive model,etc)

Its a lot harder for them to back out of the deal than to not even let you discuss the deal.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I wouldn't buy a new vehicle right now. The dealership has zero incentive to bargain. This chip shortage will ease, and the market will be flooded.
    I wouldn't buy a new truck period.

If I was you I would start hunting the south for a truck like you currently have or even older into the late 80's. You would be money ahead and have a better truck. That is if you're not all worried about creature comfort and gizmos, but since you mentioned WT I wouldn't think so.
    The older Chevy's with the Detroit are good to go as far as I'm concerned. Or even a Ford 6.9 or 7.3

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't buy a new vehicle right now. The dealership has zero incentive to bargain. This chip shortage will ease, and the market will be flooded.
    If you saw his truck it is obvious time is an issue for him.....:)

No knock brother bet we talked about this when you put our new roof on a few years ago. You can only kick a can so far down the road.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

And in some cases, charging as much as $5,000 over sticker for in stock cars. One report said the buyer was given a choice. Pay an extra $5k "acquisition fee" to buy one today, (delivery in 3 days) or wait 9 months for one to be delivered. When pressed they said "we know where to get your car. That is the fee for us to go buy it for you and get it here."

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I disagree. There was just an article on one of the news channels this weekend about all of the manufacturers learning from this situation we are in. The big three have all said that they are obviously making fewer trucks, but they are making more money on the ones they are manufacturing (the article stated up to 10 grand more on some models). Ford and General motors have both said that they're looking at putting less vehicles on dealer lots and wanting to change to more of an "order what you want model". With that said, the op would be better off now ordering what he wants instead of looking at used. Used truck prices are BANANAS!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I disagree. There was just an article on one of the news channels this weekend about all of the manufacturers learning from this situation we are in. The big three have all said that they are obviously making fewer trucks, but they are making more money on the ones they are manufacturing (the article stated up to 10 grand more on some models). Ford and General motors have both said that they're looking at putting less vehicles on dealer lots and wanting to change to more of an "order what you want model". With that said, the op would be better off now ordering what he wants instead of looking at used. Used truck prices are BANANAS!
    I have been considering selling my 04 GMC Sierra as we are not using it enough now to warrant it sitting around. Very low miles and well maintained I expect some fair offers but what has been discussed is really nuts and a serious incentive to sell it.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have been considering selling my 04 GMC Sierra as we are not using it enough now to warrant it sitting around. Very low miles and well maintained I expect some fair offers but what has been discussed is really nuts and a serious incentive to sell it.
    Now is definitely the time to sell it. It's crazy in them there hills. I am seriously thinking of just rebuilding my truck and keeping on driving it. Hell, there is nothing on that truck I can't fix myself. Knock on wood it is running good right now, just time to do some preventative maintenance and I would rather just buy a new truck, lol. Think I am gonna have to at least rebuild front end again before winter....

Is your GMC 3/4 ton?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Now is definitely the time to sell it. It's crazy in them there hills. I am seriously thinking of just rebuilding my truck and keeping on driving it. Hell, there is nothing on that truck I can't fix myself. Knock on wood it is running good right now, just time to do some preventative maintenance and I would rather just buy a new truck, lol. Think I am gonna have to at least rebuild front end again before winter....

Is your GMC 3/4 ton?
    I am leaning that way.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    And the second part is what you are looking for. Most trucks now are pimpmobiles with all the options, power everything, carpet, and $65k.
    Nobody ever has basic WT models sitting on the lots even before this chip BS.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I have a new 1/2 ton coming next week from the thousands of trucks sitting in Michigan waiting for chips. Just told dealer what I wanted, then he did a computer search and found it in the large inventory of completed trucks. Dealer said latest info is that chip shortage will last well into 2023, which is also what I am seeing online and news. Dealer is taking a little off sticker which I am happy with considering the current chip situation. Dealer said most vehicles unloaded each day are already sold at other dealerships by customers that have placed deposits. I locked my incoming truck with a $500 deposit. Just find a dealer that is willing to work with you. If they don't find another dealer.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I like to use Cars.com to do my research before buying a vehicle.

A search for new Silverado 2500 and 3500 W/T trucks shows 318 matches in the United States.

If you want a white one, no problem. Out of the 318 listed, 288 are white.
    19 red, 4 black, 2 blue, 2 silver and 1 green.

You're probably going to have to buy it online, then have someone drive you to pick it up if you want any color other than white. Or fly out, if the dealer is more than a days drive or so.

Within 200 miles of Indianapolis, there are 33 W/T 2500 or 3500 trucks listed for sale, 30 of them are white.

I just sold back a leased 2019 Honda Ridgeline Sport to the same dealer that I leased it from in April 2019, when they couldn't get people into dealerships because of Covid. What they gave me for it was not much less than list price back when I leased it. With the cash back to me after the lease payoff, I literally drove the truck for 19 months for about $62 a month. They now have it on their lot, asking more than 2019 list price! The car/truck market is crazy right now.

I'll be leasing a top trim Ridgeline in the next couple of weeks to replace my base Sport model. I'll likely be buying online and taking a road trip or flying to pick it up, but that's the market these days. Might even get a better deal going out of state to a smaller dealer. It wouldn't be the first time that I saved money by leaving Indy to buy a car.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    There are a metric sh&t ton of F-250's, and 350 sitting around here, I'm right across the river from the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant....with the Biden chip shortage, they can't do anything with them...they're almost all sitting outside...in the weather....The latest series of Fords will have rust as an option.......
    This is gonna sound silly, but I am being serious. Are almost all of them white or is there colored ones in there?
    I like to use Cars.com to do my research before buying a vehicle.

A search for new Silverado 2500 and 3500 W/T trucks shows 318 matches in the United States.

If you want a white one, no problem. Out of the 318 listed, 288 are white.
    19 red, 4 black, 2 blue, 2 silver and 1 green.

You're probably going to have to buy it online, then have someone drive you to pick it up if you want any color other than white. Or fly out, if the dealer is more than a days drive or so.

Within 200 miles of Indianapolis, there are 33 W/T 2500 or 3500 trucks listed for sale, 30 of them are white.

I just sold back a leased 2019 Honda Ridgeline Sport to the same dealer that I leased it from in April 2019, when they couldn't get people into dealerships because of Covid. What they gave me for it was not much less than list price back when I leased it. With the cash back to me after the lease payoff, I literally drove the truck for 19 months for about $62 a month. They now have it on their lot, asking more than 2019 list price! The car/truck market is crazy right now.

I'll be leasing a top trim Ridgeline in the next couple of weeks to replace my base Sport model. I'll likely be buying online and taking a road trip or flying to pick it up, but that's the market these days. Might even get a better deal going out of state to a smaller dealer. It wouldn't be the first time that I saved money by leaving Indy to buy a car.
    I noticed last night on cargurus that the inventory seems to have went up some, and now a lot of the Chevy 2500's have dropped back to MSRP or $1000 below it. I am gonna call my dealer again today and see if he can give me any updates. I don't even mind buying a new 2020 that's been sitting.

I recently traded in our 2017 Malibu I bought new in 2018. It had 52,000 miles and they gave me back pretty much what I paid for it new (with GM dicount). They listed it for more than I paid for it new....and whoever bought it got a crappy turbo. I feel bad about that........but what could I do about it.

Top Bottom