• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Hey everyone. I am new to reloading any type of ammo and I am considering starting to reload 308. What is the best reloader/package to buy to start this whole process? (keeping budget in mind) I believe I am ok on the subject of primer, cases, loads, etc. I am just curious as to what brand of load is the best bang for the buck for loading rifle rounds. Case trimmers, mics, etc.- advice on these items would help also. Thanks:patriot:

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Get the Lee turret press kit with auto index. a good set of dial calipers are Lyman , and the Lee zip trim is fast and easy trimming tool & cheap too. It would be best to get a crhonogragh to measure load speed to kinda see where you are or you'll be blind & guessing. A tumbler is nice too to clean cases,MidwayUSA everything you need. RCBS reloading kit will be as much as all that I mentioned and it'll be single stage and still need a crony & tumbler

wilbur352

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I am a fan of the rock chucker for reloading rifle ammo. I only use a progressive for handgun and shotgun. But that should depend on the results you want to get from your shooting. Me personally,I am not as accurate with a handgun as I am with my rifle. You will find you can put a great deal of time into reloading to help increase your accuracy.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The first thing I would do is get the[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8OKAU"] Lee Reloading Manual[/ame]. The first few chapters really explain the processes and many pitfalls and dangers.

If you are shooting in the same bolt or single shot rifle, you can save effort, time, and brass wear by only neck sizing. I also am old school and think that single stage is the best way to get started. Especially with rifle.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

acyork50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    I started loading for a Mosin Nagant caliber 7.62X54R, I loaded on a single stage press in the beginning. Great way to get started is to buy a complete package deal usually includes press, scales, sometimes hand held priming tool, small tools for cleaning primer pockets, trimmers, so on. Start with a single stage first of all to see if you like loading and to get a real idea of what each step requires. Definitely start by reading a good loading book, everyone starts differently my first book was Speer( sister company to RCBS) the first several chapters will give you the complete loading info the next several chapter give you loading data for all the different calibers. So as you can see reading is light - after you have loaded a while then by all means acquire different loading data and companys loading information. I recently found on Hodgdons web site a little program that helps you to determine powder, case lengths - basically nice tool to use on your computer/laptop. Hodgdon now manufactures powder for IMR, Winchester, and Hodgdon. It is ok to start out slow - don't try to acquire dies for all calibers - start with one caliber at a time. Don't always go on the cheap, I had a guy tell me in the beginning to buy plastic dial calipers, I bought stainless steel paid a little more, but I am happier with stainless steel and 25 years later still measuring cases and cartridges with the same dial calipers.

acyork50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Unless you are really familiar with loading, start with a single stage press, the fancier the press the more difficult it is to understand. If you feel confortable with a progressive style press - have at it. Most people didn't start driving a sports car as their first car, reloading is the same - start slow and build. Do you know someone who reloads, sit with them and watch.

acyork50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A buddy of mine shoots in rifle competitions, he has been reloading on a Rcbs rock chucker for over 20 years, he just now has bought a Dillon press. When you buy a press it is a life long partnership with the company, many of the company's have life time warrantys on their equipment. I load on two single stage presses sitting side by side, both are RCBS Jr2 and JR3 - I would not trade or sell either - they have made thousands of accurate rounds. Very pleased with RCBS - I can tell you Dillon is good, Redding is good, I am not real fond of Lee, but I use lee dies (lee dies can be used on the single stage RCBS pressess. This is just my experience that allows me to write about RCBS. I have on occasion had to replace parts, I call the 800 number and withing 10 days the part is in my hands - great service.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Thanks for all the great information everyone. I can see that there is much to consider. Based on what I have heard I will definately be going with a single stage press. I am also considering match grade brass and projectiles. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom