• ...and so much more!
  • Hinkle

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I entirely admit that when it comes to 1911’s my extent of knowledge is where the trigger is…. Looking to get a 1911 in .45 specifically to shoot in NRA Bullseye. I feel like to buy a completely custom gun is more than I want to spend. So the question is what would be a great gun that a guy could buy and be competitive out of the box and then tune/improve as I go. What makes one gun better than the other?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Played the NRA Bullseye game a couple seasons in my life, all three pistols. The last time I started with a Base model Springfield 1911 and by the time I had all the work done and parts replaced, I had as much in it as a Les Baer Premier pistol. I wish I had just bought the Les Baer Premier right out of the box.

I did buy a Springfield "Range Officer" model that would do a very good job as a Bullseye pistol also. I think it will take you 90% of the way to the top. Any reliable, accurate pistol will work, nice, easy to see sights and a really good trigger are pretty hard not to have. I think I hold a beaver tail fitted pistol better, but that is not mandatory.

It has become common to shoot the .45 in the old revolver section of the competition. I can see the benefit because the money you used to put into a revolver can be spent on a better .45. What are you using for your .22 matches?

Last edited:

Hinkle

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2021
    Central Indiana
    Played the NRA Bullseye game a couple seasons in my life, all three pistols. The last time I started with a Base model Springfield 1911 and by the time I had all the work done and parts replaced, I had as much in it as a Les Baer Premier pistol. I wish I had just bought the Les Baer Premier right out of the box.

I did buy a Springfield "Range Officer" model that would do a very good job as a Bullseye pistol also. I think it will take you 90% of the way to the top. Any reliable, accurate pistol will work, nice, easy to see sights and a really good trigger are pretty hard not to have. I think I hold a beaver tail fitted pistol better, but that is not mandatory.

It has become common to shoot the .45 in the old revolver section of the competition. I can see the benefit because the money you used to put into a revolver can be spent on a better .45. What are you using for your .22 matches?
    IZH 35M with match dot 2
    IMG_8730.jpeg

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    Les Baer makes amazing guns. They “guarantee” 1.5” at 50 yards with the Premiere II. I’m not saying 1.5” is possible but they shoot true to aim for me.

Though I honesty can’t tell a difference between them or a Dan Wesson or TRP.

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpeg
      IMG_6576.jpeg
      877.8 KB · Views: 4
    Reactions: Leo

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've never been a bullseye shooter but I'm reasonably familiar with 1911s for the last 30 years. AllenM put one together for me that is the slickest and tightest 1911 I've ever owned. My experience with 1911s run the gambit including Gen 1 Kimbers, Nighthawks, Wilsons and recently a Platypus. Allen is a craftsman that never seems to be completely satisfied with what he builds and everything I've handled that he massaged was absolutely top quality.

Hinkle

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I've never been a bullseye shooter but I'm reasonably familiar with 1911s for the last 30 years. AllenM put one together for me that is the slickest and tightest 1911 I've ever owned. My experience with 1911s run the gamut including Gen 1 Kimbers, Nighthawks, Wilsons and recently a Platypus. Allen is a craftsman that never seems to be completely satisfied with what he builds and everything I've handled that he massaged was absolutely top quality.
    Does he sell complete guns or just hot rod one you bring him? And how does a guy get ahold of him?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Allen can definitely get you setup with a top quality 1911.

As far as out-of-the-box, I like Springfields offerings.:twocents:

keeph8n

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Definitely recommend @AllenM

He worked over my prodigy and going back to him soon for some additional work.

Can’t thank him enough for his knowledge and expertise

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I entirely admit that when it comes to 1911’s my extent of knowledge is where the trigger is…. Looking to get a 1911 in .45 specifically to shoot in NRA Bullseye. I feel like to buy a completely custom gun is more than I want to spend. So the question is what would be a great gun that a guy could buy and be competitive out of the box and then tune/improve as I go. What makes one gun better than the other?
    I have Springfield Range Officer , quite an accurate 1911. A nice crisp trigger but for one handed bullseye shooting the trigger is heavier than what most bullseye shooters compete with.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    He has worked on a couple of Colt Rail Guns that I can't tell which one I am using as both are works of art and feel the same. For two guns to be so close it takes a heck of a good smith! Right now he has a 9mm Tisas 1911 for me.

Top Bottom