• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I will be very interested in seeing how it shoots. I don't know if it was already said but what caliber did you go with?

243 Win. The one pictured belongs to the dealer I got mine from.

The good news is that a 105 Amax will reach the lands and still fit in the magazine, which is a quite nice surprise. Ruger is paying attention. In the few hundred rounds I've seen go through a couple of copies, consistent MOA groups were the norm. I've not had the chance to stretch the thing out past 250 yards but will get to that this week.

The stock is pretty well done and was quickly dialed in to fit me, then stubby 8 year old kid, then back to me. It stays where it is set as well.

On the down side, with a Super Sniper in Warne rings on top the thing weighs 14.85 LB, so it ain't dainty. It looks to be plenty rugged but at that weight I doubt I will be dragging it through the muck to verify. Might hack a half dozen inches off the barrel and see what that does, it is pretty nose heavy.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That's great news about the 105 Amax, my Savage really doesn't like them to well. Ive thought about putting it in a XLR chassis, but if the 243 model shoots that well may have to consider one of these Rugers. What magazine were you using... I was reading an it seemed like you could use a Pmag?

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    It looks kind of like the Tubb 2000 bolt gun that came out in 2000 that was actually made by McMillan. It sold for roughly twice what Ruger wants for this.

They may look similiar, but I assure you they are not the same or even similiar. The Tubb rifle has an Anshutz trigger, far better barrel, is final fitted by Tubb himself and assembled by the guys at Creedmoor. I paid $4800 for a Tubb rifle and it's already won several national championships (in someone else's hands) and has the goods to win ANY match it enters. I'm intrigued by this Ruger but it ain't even close to a Tubb.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    The PMags Ruger packaged with the rifles, though they appear to be the same as off the shelf.

From American Rifleman (A good read on this BTW):

While the project was originally intended to utilize only SR25 and Magpul PMAGs, along the way Ruger’s design team, led by Jonathan Mather, devised a method that allowed them to greatly increase the rifle’s magazine compatibility, the final result being what the company is calling its Multi-Magazine Interface. The MMI, for which Ruger has been awarded one of the gun’s seven patents, allows the Precision Rifle to operate using a plethora of both rear- and side-latching box magazines chambered for .308 Win. (.243 Win. and 6.5 mm Creedmoor cartridges will also feed through unmodified .308 Win. magazines). Examples of compatible magazines include: DPMS, M110, SR25, PMAG and AICS.

Externally the MMI appears to function much like a standard, rear-latching, M14-style magazine release, but inside the magazine well a little something extra is occurring. It essentially works in two stages—once the magazine release, which is located just forward of the trigger guard, has been pressed forward far enough, a side bar is set into motion that also actuates the side latch. Simple yet effective. The gun comes supplied with two 10-round Magpul PMAGs. It is possible that some AR-10 and M14 magazines may also function through the Precision Rifle, but Ruger warns that—due to those magazines’ wider tolerance ranges and varied production histories—most will not.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    ^^ That's what I had read. That's actually an awesome Idea, to be able to use a bunch of different mags will greatly up the appeal of this rifle I bet.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The stock is pretty well done and was quickly dialed in to fit me, then stubby 8 year old kid, then back to me. It stays where it is set as well.

On the down side, with a Super Sniper in Warne rings on top the thing weighs 14.85 LB, so it ain't dainty. It looks to be plenty rugged but at that weight I doubt I will be dragging it through the muck to verify. Might hack a half dozen inches off the barrel and see what that does, it is pretty nose heavy.

It seems to me their intention was for this rig to be a prone gun, with a bipod. I want the longer barrel, makes it easier to build 1,000 yd ammo.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Lopped to 20" and stretched to 1200 yards, and it still impresses. The short barrel balances better, particularly when one is encouraged to fire it with the stock folded.

Metal AI mags and plastic MDTs feed as advertised. Hanging a light off the rail in anticipation of a hog hunt affects it not at all. Ruger is really pouring it on these days.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Lopped to 20" and stretched to 1200 yards, and it still impresses. The short barrel balances better, particularly when one is encouraged to fire it with the stock folded.

Metal AI mags and plastic MDTs feed as advertised. Hanging a light off the rail in anticipation of a hog hunt affects it not at all. Ruger is really pouring it on these days.

new Pics of it with the cut off barrel?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom