• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Now, the earliest fox bodies were still suffering a hangover from the 70s, but 86-93 were pretty solid. I cried when I saw the 94; thought I'd never have a "Mustang" again. Like I said, call this new thing a Pinto or a Maverick or something. You think Europeans have a concept of the Mustang? They probably wouldn't get the Pinto thing either, and we could snicker at them.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not sayin' I don't lust after an 03-04 Cobra SVT powerplant for a new car build project... in fact I am saying just the opposite. But the Mustang was about more than just big power in a little package. You can drop a Hemi into a Smartcar and do better than a Mustang in that department. The Mustang was also about affordability and style. 80s and 90s Mustangs may have had style, and if Fox body is for you, Mazel tov! But it wasn't true Mustang style.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    As I said, "There were no Mustangs manufactured from 1974 to 2004." Now, it looks like I'll have to add "or after 2014".

The last muscle car died in 1993 as a Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 5speed. Not claiming that as a muscle car or mustang is blasphemy as a Ford enthusiast.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The last muscle car died in 1993 as a Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 5speed. Not claiming that as a muscle car or mustang is blasphemy as a Ford enthusiast.

I loved my 87 LX hatch. Had a tall Hurst shifter, 3.73 rear end, long tube headers, no AC nor smog, Saleen springs with KYB shocks/struts. That thing was mean. 140k miles on it and the only engine work I needed to do was replace the timing chain. It's biggest problem was the dreaded hatch/door rust that seemed so common. She was easy to work on, I miss her. Traded her for my first German car.

Oh the memories.

Mustang1.jpg

Mustang2.jpg

Mustang10.jpg

Mustang12.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm not sayin' I don't lust after an 03-04 Cobra SVT powerplant for a new car build project... in fact I am saying just the opposite. But the Mustang was about more than just big power in a little package. You can drop a Hemi into a Smartcar and do better than a Mustang in that department. The Mustang was also about affordability and style. 80s and 90s Mustangs may have had style, and if Fox body is for you, Mazel tov! But it wasn't true Mustang style.

What the hell is "Mustang style?"

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What the heck is wrong with a fox body? Geeze. Had a Thunderchicken and a Mustang on a fox. Both were virtuous.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I actually want a new V-6 Mustang. 300 HP? That's almost the same as my dad's '97 Cobra and it'll get better mileage and be able to drive in the rain and snow.

Okay, I actually just want the motor and drivetrain to put into a Shelby kit car... :wink:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

If the musclecar died, it died in the 80s and was resurrected in the 90s. there are examples of Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs in the late 90s through the 2000s that would thoroughly embarrassed their predacessors. The LS1 Camaro and Firebird were making close to 350 hp but underrated as to protect the Vette. The 4.6 Mustangs also made 300+ hp from 2005-. In 2003-2004 The supercharged SVT Cobra Mustangs were making well over 400+ hp off the showroom floor, and a pulley and tune would put them around 450-475 rwhp. All these cars were good for at least mid 13 sec times off the showroom floor. This matches or exceeds the vast majority of the musclecars from the glory years of the late 60s and early 70s.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    In the eighties it died? I'm thinking muscle cars "died" at the start of the gas crisis / emission zone of 73 / 74 (really 72.) I didn't feel like they truly returned until 86 / 87 when Mustangs and Camaro/Firebirds topped 220 HP routinely again. It was hard to find a factory v-8 from mid-seventies thru the mid-eighties in excess of 200HP. Around 86/87 they became pretty common again.

My brother was 6 years older than me and graduated high school in 1981. Their crop of cheap, used cars was 10 - 15 years old and they had a lot of real muscle cars to choose from. My favorite of his was a '69 SS396 Chevelle.

I graduated HS in '87. Our crop of 10-15 year old cars were much more anemic with mid- late-seventies cars that routinely had stock 5.7L with only 160HP, 2 barrel carbs and hydraulic lifters.

Mid seventies to mid eighties were a bad time for "muscle cars."

One of the fastest American 0-60 factory cars during my high school years wasn't even a v-8 with the 3.8 V6 intercooled turbo Buick Grand National running 4.3 seconds in the 0-60. Sorry... I don't recall the time on the 1/4.

My friend worked a farm every summer his sophomore, junior and senior year - car-less while we all drove. At graduation, he had saved up enough cash and bought a brand new '87 Mustang GT 5.0 with factory five speed. That felt like a muscle car again and performed as such when pitted against a bunch of the late-sixties v-8s of which I was so enamored.

Me? In high school, I just went thru anemic Fiats (X19, 128 Rallye and 124 Spyder) and a Triumph (TR6). The girls always wanted to ride with me in the lil red convertibles. :) I had priorities.

Last edited:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    In the eighties it died? I'm thinking muscle cars "died" at the start of the gas crisis / emission zone of 73 / 74 (really 72.) I didn't feel like they truly returned until 86 / 87 when Mustangs and Camaro/Firebirds topped 220 HP routinely again. It was hard to find a factory v-8 from mid-seventies thru the mid-eighties in excess of 200HP. Around 86/87 they became pretty common again.

My brother was 6 years older than me and graduated high school in 1981. Their crop of cheap, used cars was 10 - 15 years old and they had a lot of real muscle cars to choose from. My favorite of his was a '69 SS396 Chevelle.

I graduated HS in '87. Our crop of 10-15 year old cars were much more anemic with mid- late-seventies cars that routinely had stock 5.7L with only 160HP, 2 barrel carbs and hydraulic lifters.

Mid seventies to mid eighties were a bad time for "muscle cars."

One of the fastest American 0-60 factory cars during my high school years wasn't even a v-8 with the 3.8 V6 intercooled turbo Buick Grand National running 4.3 seconds in the 0-60. Sorry... I don't recall the time on the 1/4.

It certainly didn't die in 93, if anything it was strongly rebounding by then. I just said 80s because the early 70s cars were a different breed than the mid 70s. I guess mid 70s would be more accurate though

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    157 hp...

Now we are getting REALLY liberal with the "muscle car" definition...

By that definition, I have owned go-kart "muscle cars".

I was looking at the Windsor, my bad...

Still nothing...

THe '93 WAS a Windsor. (As were all the Ford V8 engines of the time; even the trucks had the 302 in it.) It didn't have HP that low unless you go back as far as .....wait for it, the '84 SVO. ;) Not exactly, but it didn't top out over 200 so it might as well be the same.

Top Bottom