• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Will European sales plan kill the Ford Mustang as we know it? | Fox News

Article says its unlikely that there won't be at least a V8 option. But a Marketing professional from Ford is hinting that the new Mustang will be a "global design" while abandoning the classic look so it able to compete in London with a turbo 4 engine.

The Mustang is an American Icon, and is more potent than ever with 5.0 V8 in today's models. I hope Ford doesn't screw this up. I don't care how much power a boosted 4 cylinder makes, it will never match the sound of a V8. A Mustang should never sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    the sound of a swarm of bees in a coffee can does not soothe you? aww..

like you, i appreciate the throat of a v8 with a "breatheable" exhaust.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If I was Bill Ford, I wouldn't give it the Mustang moniker. Bring back the Falcon name or come up with something new. A high reving, high mileage, powerful turbo 4 banger in a light platform would go well with the NOPI tuners.

It's a sharp looking little thing, though

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    European 4 cyl with classic names. Not a good idea...:):

1985-Cuda-16.jpg

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I could care less where my HP comes from, and would love to own a 40mpg 300rwhp rwd car for under 30k. Do whatever sells and performs.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    So much for tradition. Calling that thing a Mustang would be like John Browning calling this the new 1911. :laugh: :laugh:

http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=439686&stc=1&d=1262105005[IMG][/quote]

"tradition" went out the door when the mustang started weighing 4 THOUSAND pounds. ;)

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    I have the 2012 5.0 premium manual and I am so impressed with it, nothing factory in what I call its class can compete, lets just say I put it to the test. I hope they keep it up with this v8 power.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The big reason all manufacturers are going to smaller boosted engines is the same reason you can't walk over to the corner hardware store and buy an M16 or a Tommy Gun, or have a rifle with a 14 inch barrel and not worry about tax stamps.

Government mandated fuel economy! Feds telling manufacturers they have to meet new minimums in a few years.

While it is fun watching the horsepower wars again, EPA intends to put a stop to it.

It isn't something Ford wants to do folks.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I personally like the idea of a turbo-4 Mustang. Provided they keep it a Mustang (i.e. light, 2 door, RWD platform).

Everyone doing their chest thumping over "It ain't a Mustang unless it's got a v8" need to calm down. Ford did this back in the early and mid 80's. It was called the Mustang SVO. A little 2.3L Turbo 4 banger Mustang that out did its big 5.0 NA brother in damn near every category. Personally, the SVO is one of my favorite models. I've owned 4 Stangs, one of which sported a considerable amount of mods (H/C/I, Vortech S-Trim Supercharger, 3:73s, etc) - and I'd still rather have seriously built 2.3L Turbo SVO!

1984%20Ford%20Mustang%20SVO-01.jpg

http://youtu.be/afUar4DtWoc

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    jag. im not "chest thumping" if you were referring to me. my point is that there is no car manufacturer that has replicated the head / port / valve designs in order to make the exhaust sound like a ford v8. that all.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    jag. im not "chest thumping" if you were referring to me. my point is that there is no car manufacturer that has replicated the head / port / valve designs in order to make the exhaust sound like a ford v8. that all.

Na, I was just referring to the people who dismiss Mustangs just because it's "not a v8". A lot of those people routinely get the butt handed to them by smaller displacement vehicles at the track. My point was that Ford has gone 4 banger turbo in the past - and it was awesome. So stick around and wait for the final product, because you might just fall in love.

Top Bottom