• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well this whole thing has been a let down. I was promised the job the day i started this thread i was told i would start in a week then monday i was told to wait a few more weeks and then today we got a new welder and he is taking the spot i was promised. They are no more spots open so i dont have the job. To make it worse the dude thinks its funny that he got the job i was promised and that i already signed the papers for, he doesn't know how close he came to taking a trip to the hospital. So i packed up my welding stuff and told them i was no longer going to fix their F. Ups and not to expect me to be working for them much longer. I plan on calling our 2 main competitors in the morning and see if they have any openings.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Hey kiddo, I will suggest to you again, go to school at night at your local Community College and get your tig certs for carbon and stainless pressure pipe. The money will be much better, and much better working conditions.
    Also look into going in the Navy for a few years, enlist and get your tig papers for nuke plants. Then comes the big bucks.
    Where I'm from when Calvert Cliffs nuke plant has its maintainance shut downs the outside tigs welders with per-diem is about 120.00 per hour.
    Compare that to the 10 to 14 dollars per hour most of the Indiana company's pay for mig welders.

Keep your head up. Don't stir the pot, let your work speek for you,
    Keep moving forward..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hey kiddo, I will suggest to you again, go to school at night at your local Community College and get your tig certs for carbon and stainless pressure pipe. The money will be much better, and much better working conditions.
    Also look into going in the Navy for a few years, enlist and get your tig papers for nuke plants. Then comes the big bucks.
    Where I'm from when Calvert Cliffs nuke plant has its maintainance shut downs the outside tigs welders with per-diem is about 120.00 per hour.
    Compare that to the 10 to 14 dollars per hour most of the Indiana company's pay for mig welders.

Keep your head up. Don't stir the pot, let your work speek for you,
    Keep moving forward..

+1

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yea i was hoping to use this as a free way to get certified and get real world experience while learning but this is kinda pushing me beyond my limits. Guess im going to have to start saving up for school although i haven't been impressed with the guys coming from ivy tech here lately, i weld better than all them combined and i just learned. The boss about croaked when i told him if he keeps this $h!7 up he would lose one of only 2 guys that know how to weld pipe and stick weld. Unfortunately the navy is not possible every branch has turned me down due to a surgery i had a few years back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yea i was hoping to use this as a free way to get certified and get real world experience while learning but this is kinda pushing me beyond my limits. Guess im going to have to start saving up for school although i haven't been impressed with the guys coming from ivy tech here lately, i weld better than all them combined and i just learned. The boss about croaked when i told him if he keeps this $h!7 up he would lose one of only 2 guys that know how to weld pipe and stick weld. Unfortunately the navy is not possible every branch has turned me down due to a surgery i had a few years back.

But you already have the skill those Ivy Tech N00Bs dont. You are one step ahead of them.

Start checking out financial aid, grants, etc. I normally am very cautious of loans, etc but in this case you have a skill already. These certs can quickly pay for your schooling. Its not like some liberal arts major thats going to sink $200k on school and then be forced to ask "do you want fries with that?" and be stuck with insane loan payments.

do your research and due dilligence, but get certified for the high dollar stuff. The sooner you can tell this loser boss off and make more than him the better!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I think im gonna call my old vocational school and ask them to look up my finacial aid situation (they keep up with you after graduation to make sure you go to school or get a job) i know i had like $17,000 when i graduated but that didn't even cover a quarter or the major i wanted so i decided not to go. Certifications dont cost that much so i thought about going out of pocket to get the ones i know i can pass.

Top Bottom