• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbhumpty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    My wife wants a gun at home and I’d like to get a couple handguns too. I’m swaying towards the Glock 19 and the p365 or p365x. I really just like how both of these are almost always at the top of best lists. I’ve considered the shield ez too. Is there any other to look into. I want extreme reliability and longevity.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Been really happy with my FN, it goes bang every time and is comfortable in the hand, previously had a S&W M&P .45, it was a solid performer too, trigger wasn’t nearly as nice as my FN, but still a reliable handgun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What pistol can she easily work.? In the likely hood of a limp wrist during stress, which one can she yank and roll the slide hard enough to clear a stove pipe? After that, which one can she make several controlled shots in succession.

If she can do all those things, anything past that is just personal preference. After spending some time with those tests, my wife has a revolver.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I've never regretted going to an indoor range and renting some of the styles of pistols I liked as a way to decide what I'd prefer.

Rent them at the range and take them for a test drive. I liked the M&P 9C and shot it well, thought I'd be able to carry the Shield easier so I got it without shooting it...turns out I'm way more accurate with the 9C than I ever was with the Shield. Don't know why, but that's the way it seems to work for me. There are also a lot of differences in how a pistol shoots when held by a woman or a man, different grip shapes and sizes, magazine capacity, etc... Take your wife with you and have her rack the slide to make sure she can do it comfortably. Also, if this is for home defense and not a carry gun I'd shop the full sizes rather than something like a Shield. Just my opinion and every one had them so take it for what it's worth. LOL, you will settle on whatever you prefer and that will be perfect for you and yours. Enjoy the shopping and shooting...

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I've never regretted going to an indoor range and renting some of the styles of pistols I liked as a way to decide what I'd prefer.

Rent them at the range and take them for a test drive. I liked the M&P 9C and shot it well, thought I'd be able to carry the Shield easier so I got it without shooting it...turns out I'm way more accurate with the 9C than I ever was with the Shield. Don't know why, but that's the way it seems to work for me. There are also a lot of differences in how a pistol shoots when held by a woman or a man, different grip shapes and sizes, magazine capacity, etc... Take your wife with you and have her rack the slide to make sure she can do it comfortably. Also, if this is for home defense and not a carry gun I'd shop the full sizes rather than something like a Shield. Just my opinion and every one had them so take it for what it's worth. LOL, you will settle on whatever you prefer and that will be perfect for you and yours. Enjoy the shopping and shooting...
    I have to agree with OkieGirl on this one. When my wife wanted an EDC, we went to an indoor range and rented several different ones until she found one fit her hand and she could function with ease.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As to the range, its a GREAT idea. Call ahead. Once you confirm they have a rental wall, ask what they have available. If they have the ones you want, tell them why you are coming and ask if you can change guns during the rental period. Most ranges you rent "A" gun by the hour and just make you purchase their bullets. Most will let you unload and return the gun to the counter to get another one to try.

But DEFINITELY call ahead. I could see some ranges not doing that. (and if they dont, remember that policy and avoid them after you bought. They arent good stewards to new gun owners.

I mean, you wouldnt buy a pair of running shoes without at least walking around the store first. Handguns are no different.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The grip modules are easily changed on the 365 series, since it's not the serial numbered part. If choosing a 365 choose pick the model based on slide length and whether you want/need an optic cut.

As others have said, go rent some stuff or shoot with some friends who have a variety of things for you to shoot.

There are things to look at such as ergonomics, manual safety or not, striker fired or hammer/DA/SA, mag safety or not (some guns have them), and then there is also caliber to decide on.

Jbhumpty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    Been really happy with my FN, it goes bang every time and is comfortable in the hand, previously had a S&W M&P .45, it was a solid performer too, trigger wasn’t nearly as nice as my FN, but still a reliable handgun.
    What pistol can she easily work.? In the likely hood of a limp wrist during stress, which one can she yank and roll the slide hard enough to clear a stove pipe? After that, which one can she make several controlled shots in succession.

If she can do all those things, anything past that is just personal preference. After spending some time with those tests, my wife has a revolver.
    I have arthritis really bad in my right hand. I didn’t think I’d be able to rack many handguns any more. The ones I find that I can I l know she won’t have an issue with. We looked at the shield ez but I found others that I thought weren’t much harder to rack and to me better guns.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom