• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Anybody have any good sites for new car price research? Looking at maybe buying new in the next 3-6 months and would love to find some data on prices paid compared to sticker.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had always heard you should avoid buying new because of the big depreciation hit when a NEW car becomes a USED car.
    Does that big depreciation still exist or did "cash for clunkers" take so many good used cars off the market that used cars hold their value better?

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I have been looking for a new car as well. Used car prices are so high right now that I have actually seen where it is cheaper to buy it new with the incentives than to buy it used. I do believe that a lot of this has to do with the cash for clunkers program.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have had good luck with Edmunds too.

Looking around, there are some used cars selling for almost the same price as new. Granted you take a hit when you buy a new car, but only if you are worried about selling it within a year or two. If you plan on keeping it longer, having the warrantee added to the fact that you would take a hit with a used car because of their higher selling price, the new car makes more sense. Sign of the weird times we live in.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had always heard you should avoid buying new because of the big depreciation hit when a NEW car becomes a USED car.

Yes and no. I read an article by Malcolm Gladwell in which he analyzed this and found only minor differences. I personally found the following:

A local dealership has some models I am interested in. As an example, there are two new models, one base trim and one "limited" with leather, etc. There are also two used vehicles comparably equiped.

The new Limited model is priced at $26,000 and the 2009 used at $20,000 with 53,317 miles. Thus $6,000 of depreciation over 3 years or $0.113/mile straight line.

The new Base model is priced at $22,500 and the 2007 used at $13,500 with 74,944 miles. Thus $9,000 of depreciation over 5 years or $0.120/mile straight line.

Yes, cars depreciate at a greater rate in the first three to five years of ownership versus the last five years. Ideally you should buy a slightly upscale model 3 years old and drive it till the wheels fall off.

Last edited:

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Edmunds.com
    Try not to pay more than 4% over dealer invoice (not the sticker price). Dealers get 'dealer holdback' money from the manufacturer.
    Dealer Holdback - Edmunds.com
    Try to keep the vehicle for at least ten years.
    Try to pay it off asap.
    Make sure you get approved for a good % finance rate beforehand. Talk to your bank before the dealership finance people.
    Shop around.
    If you have a trade in, first determine its kelly blue book value.
    Good luck!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Edmunds.com
    Try not to pay more than 4% over dealer invoice (not the sticker price). Dealers get 'dealer holdback' money from the manufacturer.
    Try to pay it off asap.
    Make sure you get approved for a good % finance rate beforehand. Talk to your bank before the dealership finance people.
    Shop around.
    Good luck!

Good advice. I have bought several new cars but none since 1998. Interestingly, the difference between invoice and sticker on a couple I am looking at is less than 6%, so I would assume not a lot of wiggle room.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Edmunds.com
    Try to pay it off asap.
    Shop around.
    Good luck!

great advice...be prepared to walk out if they start playing delay games. don't answer the question "what do you want your payment to be?" the only answer to this is "as low as possible".

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Jeeze. You guys are hard on us car salesmen, and for no reason. Just so you know, we get paid straight commission on every deal we make, so when we give up money to give you our "best price" or "bottom dollar" we're taking money out of our paychecks. As kiddchaos pointed out, the dealership has holdback money they get paid, so they get theirs anyway. It's the salesperson who suffers when profit is lost.

That being said, snorko. If you want, PM me and I can help you out. Even if you don't want to buy anything I have to sell or offer, I can help you make a good decision for whatever it is you're looking for. I know you want to make a good deal, and I can appreciate that, but a good deal on the wrong car is worse than a decent deal on the right car.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Jeeze. You guys are hard on us car salesmen, and for no reason. Just so you know, we get paid straight commission on every deal we make, so when we give up money to give you our "best price" or "bottom dollar" we're taking money out of our paychecks. As kiddchaos pointed out, the dealership has holdback money they get paid, so they get theirs anyway. It's the salesperson who suffers when profit is lost.

paying bottom dollar keeps money in my paycheck for the next 36+ months. :)

I was a few hundred over invoice when I bought my last car in 2007. It was about this time of year so the 08 model was brand new, but I bet they were glad to move my car because it was a manual transmission.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    paying bottom dollar keeps money in my paycheck for the next 36+ months. :)

I was a few hundred over invoice when I bought my last car in 2007. It was about this time of year so the 08 model was brand new, but I bet they were glad to move my car because it was a manual transmission.

Oh, I know. We joke about how the car business is the only business where the customer doesn't want you to get paid. And I get it. Back in "the day" dealerships did some shady stuff. I mean... that's why you have that stereotypical "used car salesman." It just sucks for us now because everyone imagines that's who I am before they shake my hand, personally... I think that the experience should count for something even if I don't give you the "bottom dollar" I'm going to give you what works for both of us. But enough of my grief.

Honestly, I wouldn't focus on price foremost, I would focus on the car I wanted to fit my needs. Figure out what's most important to me, and find a car that fits that. There probably are a couple, so you'll have your choices. For example, you want a smaller four-door sedan that gets good gas mileage? Well, every major manufacturer has one... so it's just a matter of finding the one that works for you. But you want a hard-top rear wheel drive roadster? Well... gotta find out who's got it, and which one you like. Want that roadster but have to find a way to fit your 125 lb mastiff in the car you buy? Time to reevaluate your priorities before you make your decision. After you've landed on the cars you want to look at, go look at them. Edmunds and whatnot will tell you to not test drive anything or don't bring your trade because you have to stay detached and unemotional about it. But if you've done your research and know what you're looking at fits your payments, then why be a robot about it? Get emotional with the car. Get excited if you like it, and don't get excited if you don't. I mean... it's an investment that you're gonna have for years to come. If it gets you excited then that's a good sign that you're gonna love it for as long as you own it.

But that's just me.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    If you have a Costco membership, they have a car buying program. :twocents:

Used it last year and no local dealer could/would match its price. Drove a few extra miles, but received a great deal and received the highest offer for trade (bonus excellant deal on OEM warrenty too). :cool:

Better deal than family employee discounts, I used prior with success.:dunno:

The process was started online and regional dealer emailed prices within 24 hours. Glad I checked their set prices before buying.:yesway:

Top Bottom