New Bottle of Powder, explain something to me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Okay, fairly new reloader here. I have read in my Lymans Reloading Guide #49 and else where on the internet that when you start a new bottle of powder, you should work up a new load. I am having a problem understanding this.

I understand that this might be necessary on a precision long range load, but is it really necessary on plinking rounds? I am using Titegroup on most of my 9mm loads and about to open a new bottle.

I worked in the chemical business, in sales for over 12 years. The company that I worked for made sealants and adhesives from volatile chemicals, yet the product they created was exactly the same every time. Are powder manufacturers any different? It would seem to me that using modern manufacturing methods one bottle of Titegroup should be exactly the same as another bottle of Titegroup???

Maybe I'm overthinking this, what say you INGO reloaders???

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have been using Bullseye gun powder for many years (decades before the company changed hands from Hercules to Alliant). The powder remained very consistent over the years. Rifle powder, OTOH, is loaded to high pressures and has different characteristics than handgun or shotgun powder, so the caution might make more sense. All that being said, however, I haven't seen that much variation in rifle powder from lot to lot.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I might as well add a few comments here too. Since I have been reloading for a long time. It is a good idea to check a few before loading a large quantity just in case there is something wrong with the powder. That is pretty unlikely with modern reloading propellents. There have been changes in the burn rate of powders over time that require changes in loads. Unique and Blue dot are some that have changed. You might have variations in loads for different pistols as well.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Truth is, if the lot number didn't change you don't need to rework loads.
    Of course these days the only way to get a few bottles ion the same lot is to buy them at the same time.
    Even then they may not be the same lot so the thing to do is write them down when you load it up.
    As has been noted, if you are loading mid power, range loads, I wouldn't do this one.
    As has also been noted, I've been using some powders, like Bullseye, since the company was Hercules and I didn't rework anything even when they changed names.

I also load for extreme distance accuracy. When a lot number changes I rework the load.
    So there is a difference in each lot of powder though not so much between containers.

:twocents: & YMMV

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If you load to the low - mid-range velocities I wouldn't worry too much. If you did work up to a hot to real hot load, then I would retest. I have read that the powder manufactures actually run some powders that are at the high and low rates of burn and save them, then when they run a commercial batch they mix whatever is needed to bring the sale-able lot into near the center of the range. My son and I use a lot of Mil surplus rifle powder, for that you must test each lot as the range may vary greatly and still be in the military spec. When they receive the ton(s) lot of powder, they test to determine the load to be used and make the run. Commercial is held to a much tighter spec. As I understand most powders burn rate is determined by the coating applied to the various shapes - flake, ball or extruded, as well as the mix of single or double base. Apparently the process is not extremely accurate - therefore the mixing to achieve the "average" burn rate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The only powder that I ever had problems with was AA2700 rifle powder. A middle of the road load that worked fine with one lot number was so hot with another lot number that I had to open the bolt with my boot heel.

The powders we buy are called "canister grade", that means they are carefully measured to be very close to the same jug after jug. Like already mentioned, if you are in the middle third of the load data all should be ok. It could be risky to be at 100% and make a lot number change.

For the record, I have used multiple kegs of TiteGroup powder since 1999 in pistols and Shotguns, and never found there to be much difference.

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Thank you for all of the responses. It is kind of what I thought, my 9mm loads are dead center in the range between starting load and max load. So, I won't worry about it.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I dont work up new loads with the new can of powder. If u have a sweet load for yer gun, why would u change it. Its prolly decent advice for the newer peeps working at max loads tryin to get that last 50fps to match the book, heh. For the rest of us working at less than max its not really needed.

bulldog451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I have been reloading for over twenty years, and the one thing that cannot be forgotten for an instant is that there is no room for half-measures. Never assume anything when it comes to your propellant. Before loading, double-check your powder measure with your scale and make certain the weight is the same as before. Then I would load a handful of cartridges and fire them. After each round check for signs of excessive pressure; harder-than normal recoil, flattened or cratered primers, etc. If everything looks OK, you should be able to safely assume that your load is safe. Happy reloading!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    First off, it isn't a new package that is the issue at all, it is a new LOT of powder where you need to check things. One of the main reasons I buy powder in bulk is so I have a lot of the same powder, in the same LOT NUMBER, so my loads don't need messing with for a good long time. I make a note of each LOT NUMBER I use throughout the years too for each powder. By doing this I have learned which powders are more sensitive to changes in lot number than others are so I know which ones need the most attention. If I buy for instance, 24 pounds of Bullseye, three 8 lb. jugs, and all three are the same lot numbers I load as I go through them without worrying which jug I am using (Though I do use them one at a time).

The ONLY time I get too worried about the change of a jug =across the same lot is for precision long distance shooting and this has more to do with the fact that the new jug is a bit older than the first one. I am shooting this for groups out past 4-600 yards so I do see differences in this sort of thing for this purpose. For my handgun loads, which are all pretty light, target loads made to practice accuracy with the same weight bullet my SD load carries, I don't see the point. I am no where near max with these. I do look for pressure issues and such but I do that every time I shoot anything. I guess I am a little anal this way, check the primers and cases for signs of trouble. I just do this all the time. The only time I even think about messing ith my typical range handgun loads is when I decide I want to reworks them completely.

HOWEVER, If my loads were max loads or closer to the max load, I would be darn sure to rework myself up to the desired load again each new LOT NUMBER of powder I stareted using for sure. This has served me well for more than 30 years so far.

Top Bottom