• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Brad you should make a list of the different AR's that run reliably, and those which you have personally seen do not.
    I believe that would help people decide on which one is reliable, and good to go vs those that are problematic.
    IMO that would be more useful than a unproven tier list.
    Feeling might get hurt, but truth usually does hurt.
    @DadSmith

I keep some notes we have several classes this year I will make a list and update it. You are right it’s gonna cause some butt hurt. I gonna do the same for pistols that’s gonna be more painful.

thanks for the idea !

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Brad you should make a list of the different AR's that run reliably, and those which you have personally seen do not.
    I believe that would help people decide on which one is reliable, and good to go vs those that are problematic.
    IMO that would be more useful than a unproven tier list.
    Feeling might get hurt, but truth usually does hurt.
    That’s generally why the Gucci tier guns have military contracts , governments have the $$ to run reliability tests, most civilians do not, especially with the cost of 5.56/.223 now a days.

As to a higher end versus mid tier gun you get a better barrel, trigger and ergonomics generally. With my LWRC I got a really nice HBAR barrel, very aesthetically pleasing upper design with the rail blending with the upper seamlessly, plus a fully ambi lower. The only thing I changed were the charging handle and trigger.

t3mpnHO.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That’s generally why the Gucci tier guns have military contracts , governments have the $$ to run reliability tests, most civilians do not, especially with the cost of 5.56/.223 now a days.

As to a higher end versus mid tier gun you get a better barrel, trigger and ergonomics generally. With my LWRC I got a really nice HBAR barrel, very aesthetically pleasing upper design with the rail blending with the upper seamlessly, plus a fully ambi lower. The only thing I changed were the charging handle and trigger.

t3mpnHO.jpg
    I'm a fan of LWRCI and LaRue myself.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

t3mpnHO.jpg
    What is your scope and trigger? I went with an SLT1 and Strike Eagle 1-8 FFP.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I'll take my XXX#s of mid tier b AR's a buttload of parts for my mid tier b ARs all day everyday VS ONE of anything above it.
    Mosin Nagant and AKS were anything but Gucci but they both got the job done very very well indeed. I guess my AR's are the Mosin Nagant/SKS of AR's.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Should have applied purple. Here goes again...
    If you don't have one of these stainless steel buffer tubes your AR-15 drops down a few tiers. We all know the most expensive parts is what makes it a top tier firearm.

I'll say this if you aren't paying attention on an AR build it can get expensive quickly. I know from experience.

I've got a few AR-15 and an AR-10 that I spent way to much on parts, and I could have bought a decent brand name rifle for less especially on those black Friday sales.
    But where is the pride in knowing You assembled it ? I've built several tier 2 weapons and proud as can be that I did it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm old and cranky and just want stuff right from the get go.
    Hedging that bet means spending more money up front.
    It aint about braggin rights. For me its just avoiding hassle (hopefully).
    Unfortunately, I think some mid level stuff (whatever the product) has dropped in quality.
    Too many manufacturers are going cheap, relying on name, and think John Q is gonna tolerate it.
    Appliances, guns, cars etc.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So here is the “list” !

This a sample of 5 classes about 80 students. I have excluded user induced malfunctions.
    Wilson - 0
    SIG - 0
    SA- 0
    Ruger - 0
    LaRue - 0
    Bushmaster - 0
    DPMS - 0
    Colt - 0
    FN - 0
    Windham - 0
    HK - 0
    LWRC - 0
    BCM - 0

PSA - 4 broken firing pin, bad extractor spring , failure to extract , multiple stove pipes

Anderson - 3 pattern like a shotgun like 12 MOA x 2 , bad trigger spring

S&W - 1 weapon was dirty but should have worked IMO

DD - 1 broken trigger spring it was a LEO duty weapon

Frankengun - 10 too many to list

Other
    Bren - 0
    Beretta - 0
    All AK,s - 0

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So here is the “list” !

This a sample of 5 classes about 80 students. I have excluded user induced malfunctions.
    Wilson - 0
    SIG - 0
    SA- 0
    Ruger - 0
    LaRue - 0
    Bushmaster - 0
    DPMS - 0
    Colt - 0
    FN - 0
    Windham - 0
    HK - 0
    LWRC - 0

PSA - 4 broken firing pin, bad extractor spring , failure to extract , multiple stove pipes

Anderson - 3 pattern like a shotgun like 12 MOA , failure to fire weak trigger spring

Other
    Bren - 0
    Beretta - 0
    All AK,s - 0
    So none at the top had malfunctions? were those half of the 80? Quarter? So the home builds had 10 malfunctions? Was that all of them? Build errors or cheap ****** parts?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Yes the top with - 0 were flawless and accurate. They are about 40% of what we see at classes.
    S&W is very popular about 10% normally they are reliable but facts are facts.

The home builds have both issues lots of cheap parts or wrong parts. Sometimes the guys fire a mag and think they are good.

Some are sample of one like HK and Wilson if they malfunction I would be shocked. They are like a well made woman.

@Gaffer
    @ditcherman
    Both have good home builds so not all is lost.

Last edited:

joe138

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Heltonville
    So here is the “list” !

Wilson - 0
    SIG - 0
    SA- 0
    Ruger - 0
    LaRue - 0
    Bushmaster - 0
    DPMS - 0
    Colt - 0
    FN - 0
    Windham - 0
    HK - 0
    LWRC - 0
    BCM - 0

Anderson - 3 pattern like a shotgun like 12 MOA x 2 , bad trigger spring

Other
    Bren - 0
    Beretta - 0
    All AK,s - 0
    What is the round count for this class?

Top Bottom