• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If you want to sell your place in a year and there is an encroachment on your property, I would have it dealt with before it goes on the market. No need to have another hurdle to the sale of your home.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's been said a few times up thread:

Get your property surveyed.

Yes, it can be expensive. In this situation, it seems that it's wholly warranted.

Especially, as hoosierdoc mentioned just above, if you want to sell/move in a year.

I really understand that money can be tight, but it'll be cheaper and more beneficial to get a survey conducted NOW than later.

-J-

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So got a new glock 23 yesterday, and took it out back today to do some shooting, to clarify i have 1 acre in the backyard and a 6ft hill used as a backstop, with the bottom being dug out and reinforced with steel plates in the dirt as well. there is a horse farm about 2 acres behind my property,( no horses were outside all in the barn and way out of my distance for shooting). and about 10 after I started I noticed the neighbor was out and taking pictures of my yard and me shooting. I didnt think much of it until the sheriff dept. banged on my door. I answered politely and was greeted by a captain of the sheriffs dept. who informed me Im not aloud to shoot on my property and that if i did i would be fined, I then asked if he would like to go out on my property and see my range, he informed me he didnt need to see it because the neighbors had already told him about my set up. He was very rude and when i enformed him that Im a military police officer and that I know firearms safety, he laughed and said so your one of those guys, told me if I shoot again the DNR would be called and I would receive a hefty fine and got in his car and left, sad part is the neighbors have had an electric fence on my property line for about 2 years that hangs over on my side and I have not once asked them to fix it. ( I cant let my 2 yr old play in the yard because of it). Some people just dont get it.

1. Check out all local laws fully.
    2. Get a couple of our local 2nd amendment lawyers programmed into your cell phone.
    3. Tell neighbors to fix their f-ing fence or you will remove it. If it is ON your property, you are liable for it.
    4. If the law is on your side, continue shooting. I would even make a video tape of your setup, for use in court.
    5. Some neighbors are just plain a-holes.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'd love to get my hands on a front end loader, I would have an amazing range. little bit of shovel work and sweat never killed a man though, so it'll work for now.

Here's a thought...lets have an INGO shooting day at your place...we ALL bring a shovel...and we all help build up the range. :D

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It's been said a few times up thread:

Get your property surveyed.

Yes, it can be expensive. In this situation, it seems that it's wholly warranted.

Especially, as hoosierdoc mentioned just above, if you want to sell/move in a year.

I really understand that money can be tight, but it'll be cheaper and more beneficial to get a survey conducted NOW than later.

-J-

All good advice.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Have you went and tried to talk to your neighbors ? It may have been a situation where you went to shoot and woke the old man up from his afternoon nap, he may have been a little peeved and called his buddy to ask you to stop. All of my neighbors including myself shoot but a few weeks ago my neighbor was using my range right in the middle of my daughters nap I had to ask them to come back in a few hours but wasnt a jerk about it .

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Hmm. No comment on the Sheriff stuff, but frankly, if I was only 2 acres away from someone, shooting at a pile of dirt in my general direction, I wouldnt be too happy about it.

I have seen enough poor gun handling in my time to not feel too comfortable at all.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Hoosierdoc is right, get the survey updated (you probably will need to when you sell, so do it now). If the fence is on your property, I would have an attorney write a letter to the neighbor requesting it be moved). Your attorney can advise you as to how to proceed if they ignore the request. If I were a buyer, I would require you move the fence before closing. Then see the Sheriff and see what his/her attitude is on this. Depending on that, you may need more legal advice. Tough as it is, keep emotion out of it. From what you say, your neighbor is a tool and I would avoid any contact with them.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hmm. No comment on the Sheriff stuff, but frankly, if I was only 2 acres away from someone, shooting at a pile of dirt in my general direction, I wouldnt be too happy about it.

I have seen enough poor gun handling in my time to not feel too comfortable at all.

Or you could move into the city where the police will protect you from all the scary guns.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Lots of good info here... but lots of bad recommendations too. Do not tear down the fence.

I am not a lawyer, but I have worked with farmers / rural landowners on fence issues, and you need to be aware of the laws before you touch the fence. Indiana does have a "Fence Law" (IC 32-26-9) which governs partition or line fences. Evidently, lawmakers felt it was just as important to keep livestock "fenced in" as it was to keep them "fenced out." So historically (and legally) with a partition or line fence, the landowners on both sides share the expense of building and maintaining the fence. If the fence is in fact on your property and you have the other guy remove it, and he places it "on the line" it is now a partition fence and you can be held repsonsible for half the cost. However, if he does not know this rule, and you convince him to "build it on his own property" (just one foot on his side....) and it is not longer a partiion or lline fence, then he has to cover all the costs since it is totally on his land.

If you just tear out his fence, I suspect you would be held liable for any damages to the horse and any other property that might be damaged.

It does sound like you are in the clear as far as your shooting range goes, but don't touch the fence until you clarify the laws and where the property line lies.
    ---
    GB!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lots of good info here... but lots of bad recommendations too. Do not tear down the fence.

I am not a lawyer, but I have worked with farmers / rural landowners on fence issues, and you need to be aware of the laws before you touch the fence. Indiana does have a "Fence Law" (IC 32-26-9) which governs partition or line fences. Evidently, lawmakers felt it was just as important to keep livestock "fenced in" as it was to keep them "fenced out." So historically (and legally) with a partition or line fence, the landowners on both sides share the expense of building and maintaining the fence. If the fence is in fact on your property and you have the other guy remove it, and he places it "on the line" it is now a partition fence and you can be held repsonsible for half the cost. However, if he does not know this rule, and you convince him to "build it on his own property" (just one foot on his side....) and it is not longer a partiion or lline fence, then he has to cover all the costs since it is totally on his land.

If you just tear out his fence, I suspect you would be held liable for any damages to the horse and any other property that might be damaged.

It does sound like you are in the clear as far as your shooting range goes, but don't touch the fence until you clarify the laws and where the property line lies.
    ---
    GB!

I stated check out the laws first, I guess I should have been more clear. If the fence is on your land, and you have proof, TEAR IT DOWN. If something happens to someone RE that fence, and it's on YOUR property, regardless of who put it up, you are liable.

Will clarify my post.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I stated check out the laws first, I guess I should have been more clear. If the fence is on your land, and you have proof, TEAR IT DOWN. If something happens to someone RE that fence, and it's on YOUR property, regardless of who put it up, you are liable.

Will clarify my post.

But you still have the problem of the horses. If he tears down the fence and the horse gets out on the road and kills someone, are you going to indemnify and hold him harmless for following your advice?

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I believe your child is in more immediate danger than your neighbor.
    ????? Are you referring to the danger from the electric fence? Um, they're not that dangerous. I grew up around them. My kids grew up around them. We've all been shocked on occasion. Not really a big deal.

People might do something bad or stupid. WE NEED MORE LAWS!!!

So what would be a safe distance in your mind? I guess there should be no shooting if the shooting area doesn't exceed the maximum range that any projectile can travel by half.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I expected more from INGO members on this post. 12 pages and only two people have suggested to go talk to the neighbor and see what the problem was. Instead people are saying get lawyers, tear down fences, etc etc

Epic fail IMO.

Go talk to the guy. Let him know about your set-up. Let him know your concerns about the fence. Go from there.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    My understanding is that the recent state law voiding local laws, also voided "discharge of firearms" ordinances. I was told tha IMPD wouldn't enforce the Indy ban on shooting, but don't plan on being that test case.

Yes. Call the State Police.
    Wrong.

The original language for the preemption law did include the discharge of firearms. However, on the floor it was too controversial so they removed it. The law only concerns the possession and carry of firearms. Any local ordinances concerning the discharge of firearms are still valid.

I would contact the county commissioners and make sure there is no such ordinance where you are at. If not, ask why the county is wasting valuable resources by harassing you.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    good luck. ive had some issues with people i use to live next to. couldnt wait to move. got along at first but they seemed to think they could tell me what to do with my own property. hope this leo gets his balls chewed for being an a-hole, and you get to use your range whenever you want.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I expected more from INGO members on this post. 12 pages and only two people have suggested to go talk to the neighbor and see what the problem was. Instead people are saying get lawyers, tear down fences, etc etc

Epic fail IMO.

Go talk to the guy. Let him know about your set-up. Let him know your concerns about the fence. Go from there.
    Read the prior posts. He went to visit the guy once and the guy walked away from him. That would certainly do it for me. Plus, keeping a bunch of junk cars on your land? Don't get me started. I have a long antenna and can detect tools a mile away. This neighbor is a tool. IMO the lawyer is the way to go.

Top Bottom