Neighbor learned the rules the hard way.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Well a guy down the street is talking to the cops right now.. He was handling his 1911 and discharged a round through his house & into the house next door..
    Good news is no one got hit.. No one was home in the house hit.. but he now gets to have the whole neighborhood asking why all the cops are there..

Take care when handling your guns folks..

Last edited:

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I know that a negligent discharge can easily happen. I bought the Glock a few years ago and didn't use it until just recently. Periodically, I would get it out to handle and admire it. The routine was clear it first (even though there wasn't any ammo in the house) close the slide and then pull the trigger. Now that ammo is on the scene I have to be VERY careful that I don't, out of habit, close the slide and pull the trigger and fire off a round accidentally. What was too much of a toy is now a weapon that must be respected. Each time I load a round in the chamber I have to slow down and think about what I'm doing.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    First thing my dad ever taught me. Treat every gun as though it is loaded even when you are sure it is not.

cziemer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Monticello
    Just had a friend have a .223 ricochet hit the neighbor's house and put a hole in their wall. Police even agreed that he was shooting in a Safe direction in a safe way. Had to ricochet and fly through a 6 inch area that didn't have cover to even hit the house. Neighbors weren't mad because he offered to fix it immediately, but he's not shooting at his house anymore. Just crazy, it had to have been shot low and hit a rock, ricochet 90 degrees and clear a six inch window between a shed and woodpile to hit the house... Scary stuff....

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    What was too much of a toy is now a weapon that must be respected. Each time I load a round in the chamber I have to slow down and think about what I'm doing.
    That Glock has never been 'a toy' and has always been a firearm.

It's a 'weapon' only in the wrong hands. Yes, the difference may seem 'frivolous' to gun buffs, but in today's rabid anti-gun libtard politically correct 2015, it's an important distinction. That wording will absolutely be used against you if (god forbid) the time ever comes. Count on it.

I will agree that the most important thing to do is think.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    That Glock has never been 'a toy' and has always been a firearm. It's a 'weapon' only in the wrong hands.

My point was that I had let the Glock become a toy and not the "Firearm" as you stated. And yes it can be a weapon. The Merriam-Webster dictionary describes a weapon is: something (such as a gun, knife, club, or bomb) that is used for fighting or attacking someone or for defending yourself when someone is attacking you

I carried a weapon every day in Vietnam and training to use an M16 then was no different than training with a Glock today. My range instructor said, last week, to take two body shots and one head shot. Sounds like I am using a weapon. I guess I don't understand your point about the weapons in the wrong hands. Please advise.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't know what happened, but I do want to encourage all INGOers to look into have an area of their homes where they can fiddle with guns and a safe backstop will be there.

Sand barrels all around.:D

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    One of my best friends lived in an apartment in Bloomington a couple years ago. He had his Ruger MKII out, watching The Walking Dead, dry firing at the zombies. Don't ask me why he was dry firing a .22 pistol, because I have no clue.

The next morning, he is waiting around to go to work, grabs the Ruger and dry fires again, but this time the click of the firing pin is a whole lot louder. He forgot that he loaded it back up the night before.

The round went through his door, across the hall, through his neighbors door, hit an interior wall, and fell to the ground. It was a CCI Stinger, pretty impressive penetration.

He called the cops first thing. They knocked on the neighbors door, and the neighbor had slept through the whole thing. She had no idea a bullet made it's way into her apartment. Surprisingly, she apparently wasn't even mad about it.

My buddy didn't get charged with anything, just called an idiot and to be a lot more careful. But, after talking to him about this, I know for a fact he learned his lesson, and follows the Four Rules religiously these days.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ... Sounds like I am using a weapon. I guess I don't understand your point about the weapons in the wrong hands. Please advise.

To answer your question, in the civilian world many people prefer to call them "firearms" rather than "weapons".

The NRA in particular stresses this point to instructors. When used for plinking, hunting or sporting purposes it is a firearm. It is a weapon when used against a person. A hammer is a tool unless it is used against a person, then it is a weapon.

The term "firearm" does not have quite the same negative connotations as a "weapon" (particularly to those that do not share our enthusiasm for them). To those that do not support the 2nd Amendment it makes us look like dangerous psychos if we are talking about "weapons" all the time. In theory we sound more normal and less like we are looking for an excuse to shoot someone if we say "firearm".

I don't know if it really makes a difference but that is the thought process behind the different terms. I try to say "firearm" but I don't get uptight when someone says "weapon".

Last edited:

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks Slawburger for your response. I will try, from now on, to use the accepted firearm instead of weapon. I'm renewing my interest in firearms and shooting sports and it seems I have a lot to learn. That is why I spend a lot of time on this forum and try to be open to new and different ideas. Thank you.

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    To answer your question, in the civilian world many people prefer to call them "firearms" rather than "weapons".

The NRA in particular stresses this point to instructors. When used for plinking, hunting or sporting purposes it is a firearm. It is a weapon when used against a person. A hammer is a tool unless it is used against a person, then it is a weapon.

The term "firearm" does not have quite the same negative connotations as a "weapon" (particularly to those that do not share our enthusiasm for them). To those that do not support the 2nd Amendment it makes us look like dangerous psychos if we are talking about "weapons" all the time. In theory we sound more normal and less like we are looking for an excuse to shoot someone if we say "firearm".

I don't know if it really makes a difference but that is the thought process behind the different terms. I try to say "firearm" but I don't get uptight when someone says "weapon".

Excellent point!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom