• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Title says it all.

I'm getting into hunting this year, late better than never. My wife wants a shotgun. I can't afford two.

She hates hard recoiling guns since she is new to shooting. My fault because I let her shoot an AR as her first rifle, and failed to monitor the cheek weld and stock placement.

Anyway I've been looking at the Maverick 88, benelli Supernova, savage security model, and 870 express.

Anything I'm missing?

The only gun you mention that has merit is the 870, that is one easy to take care of gun, however if the hold is wrong it will bruise you. I have one I use to shoot trap and they do shoot flat. An 11-87 in 20 would be my choice but this one you got to keep clean or it will fail. You are talking $325 for a new 870 and $650 for a new 11-87. Possibly if you can find one $400 for a clean 1100 used.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Get her something from Remington, or Mossberg in a semi-auto the gun will be a little heavier than the pump models but the recoil will be less because of the heavier weight & the action cycling. Use some of the low recoil slug ammo & she will do fine. :yesway:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Some good advice in this thread! I dont have any experience hunting but I subscribe to the thought process of only needing one shot. Only problem I see is getting a single shot with decent barrel options. just kinda talking out of my butt here though as i've never looked for one. All that comes to mind are ones like my H&R (pardner) single shot. That being said i'm a fan of the maverick if you are on a budget. Reliable, work with mossberg 500 parts (barrels), and for your wife shooting it, i'd go with the lower recoil rounds (12ga). Good luck!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When growing up on my folks farm, we owned a H&R 20 ga/Single shot Shotgun. All my sisters could and did hunt with my Dad, the 20 ga was perfect. He added a 12 ga Pump and he and I would carry and hunt with it. My Mom had to use the 20 ga on a raccoon in our barn(rabid we thought), but she wasn't really into that. One sister learned the 22lr Rifle and was the only girl on a college rifle team. She has a trophy for her shooting abilities.
    Yes the 20 ga will work, I think you can get a "youth" model for a shorter stock for Remingtons 870's.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Is there a big difference in reach between the two of you?
    Most important issue for a shotgun being shared is reach/height...................LOP of the stock. Rarely does a person complain that a shotgun is too short for them, even if it is BUT if the LOP is too long it is over and the bigger the gauge the more it will hurt.

If you are going to share a gun with a recoil sensitive person who is most likely shorter than you, get a compact or youth version.

If it is going to be a do all gun you want a vent rib and a barrel between 21" and 24". Not too long in the house, not too short for wing shooting. The gun is a compromise but a gun that will always get some use is never a waste.

The new Benelli M2 20 gauge compact with 24" barrel is my first choice. I say new because of the 24" barrel being offered. My Brother is going to pick one up for his young son and short wife to share. He is actually getting the Monetefeltro but same size gun. You want cheaper get a Franchi. Even cheaper but quality get a used Beretta 303/391 etc...but if you plan to hunt with it next month you have to buy now. Being so close to hunting season deals on used semi auto 20's will be like finding and killing a white buffalo.

You can build up pumps that recoil less but that is more of a project and you might not get that done by November since you are new to shotguns.

Back in 06-07 I started my GF on a Beretta 303 20 gauge. She jumped from that to a 12 gauge O/U with a lot more recoil. It is all about technique and it is important to start out right. She is 5'10" so she can use any of my guns and there is no benefit to a youth stock as we are the same height.

Top Bottom