• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I have never carried a light, but its time to start and I have some ideas of what I want... maybe some can help me in my search.

1. Budget is $150. Could go up to $200 if needed.

2. I don't know the correct terms but I want to be able to turn it on my applying pressure to a button until i let go of the button. I do not want it to click on and off...When I want it on for an extended period of time, I'd like to have a twist on/off...

3. How many lumens? No Idea, I have no point of reference to know what I want. Maybe you could make some suggestions.

Thanks!

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Im in the same boat! You want a momentary on. Alot of the lights do momentary on and click if you want it to stay on. What batteries do you want to use? 1AA, 2AA, cr123, 18650 rechargeables? Do you want a very small pocket light? Or a midsized light with more power. The fenix pd32ue and klarus xt11 are medium sized and put out some serious light from what ive seen on youtube. Im looking at going with a 1AA light for the size and most of the decent lights make way more output than older incandescent mag lights. What type of UI "user interface" do you want. Some lights you have to cycle through different modes or only come on high or low then cycle through. I like the simple ones myself. Im looking at the thrunte 1a, fenix ld10 and the jetbeam ba10. Ba10 is $30-35. Has a low mode of 12 lumens and a high of 160 with just a twist of the head to change outputs "simple". It runs on one AA. I didnt realize how many options there was until i started do some research on lights. Candlepowerforum has tons of info on lights. The more options just makes it harder for me to pick which one i want. Any info or suggestions from members who have small edc lights would be appreciated. The bad part is nobody carries any of these lights in stores to look at unless its surefire.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Surefife LX2

The Surefire LX2 has a non clicky button. Push the button light is on let go and light is off. You can also turn the base of the light to go on and off.

Here is the Surefire web site. I would do a seach as you may be able to find the light a little less in price
    SureFire LX2 LumaMax Compact LED Flashlight

SureFire LX2 LumaMax LED Flashlight (OD Green) LX2-HA-WH B&H

Surefire LumaMax LX2 Flashlight NOW AVAILABLE!

I would also thr the LED Warehouse. I ordered my LX 2 from them. Give Brian a call or PM. He is good help.
    http://www.the-led-warehouse.com/Surefire-v12/

Last edited:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    The surefire that you posted above is what it looks like I will order.

I don't have much preference in batteries. AA would be nice because they are so common, but i hear 123A have much better performance.

I think I want a simple interface like the surefire, but I have to wonder with all the features of the other lights, what makes the surefire so much more expensive?

Id like a good balance between power and size. I dont want it to be so big I will want to avoid carrying it.

This light will also double as my bedside light to accompany my blaster.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Used 6p with a malkoff devices drop in lamp unit. Get it bored for 18650s. Well under budget, and it has a push instant on, twist constant on, and the ability to be locked out, and runs on many battery types.

Or get a used HDS executive or tactical, run rcr123s.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Oh, and if you are going to have it with you all the time, is stay away from twisty anything, because they will either wear out, or fail due to dirt and lint.

HDS all the way

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The surefire that you posted above is what it looks like I will order.

I think I want a simple interface like the surefire, but I have to wonder with all the features of the other lights, what makes the surefire so much more expensive?

I asked myself the same question. Btw, I did not get any answer. They just must be darn proud of their equipment.

Also, the clip that holds the light to your pocket will eventually break. Surefire will replace it at no charge.
    Rapid Replacement Parts

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Here's the reply to the PM, thought others would like to see it.

The LX2 is out of stock until who knows when. SF is really struggling in making lights and shipping them to dealers. But, typically they are about $159.

The Fenix PD32 ultimate has a tactical switch. You can click it in, but it has momentary on, and you have to press the side button to change the modes.

Here is a video on it.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/MCdY8Mm1o2g[/ame]

Here is a link to our site with it
    Fenix PD32 Ultimate

Couple this light with the 18650 rechargeable batteries, and you will have a nice little set up.
    Ultrafire 18650 Two Batteries and WF139 Charger Kit

There are other options out there as well, but the PD32 ultimate is currently the cream of the crop.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I asked myself the same question. Btw, I did not get any answer. They just must be darn proud of their equipment.

Also, the clip that holds the light to your pocket will eventually break. Surefire will replace it at no charge.
    Rapid Replacement Parts

I can answer this!

Typically the bodies are a little heavier. The switches are better made. The optics and reflectors are high quality. If the light has a TIR lens, that's a pretty expensive, and very nice optic. This, plus made in the USA, adds to the price tag.

The only problem... I'm getting lights now, that I ordered in October! I got some in the other day from last February. It's puzzling to me on how the original tactical light people are struggling so much! We don't even take back orders anymore because they keep moving dates all the time.

Blackjack43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Fenix PD32

Check out the Fenix PD32. It has almost all of the features you want. Very good light that's easy to use. Small enough to carry too and is only like 80 bucks.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The SureFire LumaMax LX2 mentioned above is what I EDC. It's an excellent light - 15 lumens to see around and not blind yourself, 200 lumens if you really want to blind somebody or want a lot of light.

And yes, I'm on my third pocket clip. Whenever I have one break I call and have them send me 2 - so while I wait on the new one the next time it breaks I have another to swap on.

It always breaks in the same spot, it's a weak design. It allows you to clip it facing up or down where as my other SureFire has a uni-directional clip (that is substantially stronger). Admittedly I now have it in my pocket upside down compared to how I used to carry it and the clip lasts substantially longer due to not stressing the weak spot as much.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The surefires are great, but they have outpriced themselves from the market. I used to carry the Z2 from Surefire and it is tough as nails. I now carry the streamlight Stinger DS at work, but it doesnt have the config your looking for.

Look around for the surefire 6P. It's very well made, but you will pay for it. If you can live without the momentary on/off switch then go with the streamlight stinger DS or the PT 1L pocket flashlight.

Streamlight PT 1L ProTac Flashlight

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I ended up ordering a quark with a dozen extra batteries and an extended pocket clip for less than half the price of the surefire LX2.
    I was willing to spend the $ on the surefire, but I think they are a bit too proud of their products... this might be a long road of selling flashlights in the classifieds until I find the light for me but we will see.

BTW. Ordered from LEDWearhouse. Thanks for supporting INGO!!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The surefires are great, but they have outpriced themselves from the market. I used to carry the Z2 from Surefire and it is tough as nails. I now carry the streamlight Stinger DS at work, but it doesnt have the config your looking for.

Look around for the surefire 6P. It's very well made, but you will pay for it. If you can live without the momentary on/off switch then go with the streamlight stinger DS or the PT 1L pocket flashlight.

Streamlight PT 1L ProTac Flashlight
    They're only expensive if you plan on buying new ones regularly. I plan on using my LX2 until it quits working, at which point I'll contact SureFire and tell them and get new parts/light in the mail.

I don't see how somebody could spend $500+ on a firearm but then think $200 was too much for a quality tactical light for self defense. Heck, I've changed carry guns more than lights (always used the LX2).

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don't see how somebody could spend $500+ on a firearm but then think $200 was too much for a quality tactical light for self defense.

Because shooting a gun is more fun than walking around in the dark turning your light on and off?:D Just my guess.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    For the average everyday guy, they might just be good enough for hopping back and forth between the mall and your house. Its when you must depend on your light for survival that Surefire really proves itself over the others. And lets face it, most of us will NEVER be in that type of situation, so the other lights will work just fine, and there are a number of decent lights for less than Surefire prices.

Surefire builds to a MUCH higher standard than any other mass produced light manufacturer out there.
    Ive had a number of high end 'cheapie' lights, like 4sevens, and they dont hold a candle to the quality of a Surefire.

I love my Quarks, and I have 4 of them, but when I need a light to work every single time, no matter what its been through, or what the temperature is (yes, it matters) my Surefires are the ones I carry.

My Quark 123x2, R2 tactical version, used to be my backup light, but one night, at about 10 degrees, with a ridiculous wind and blowing snow, I was out with a Duke Energy truck and my Quark didnt seem to like the cold temps. Wouldnt change modes, and it had been clipped in my front pocket!

My LX2 and my E1B have never exhibited this. I even tried it one night and left them outside on the cold concrete back step for a couple hours. No change in performance.
    My Lawman R1 hasnt either, though I dont leave it laying around outside by itself....lol.
    The anodizing is worlds better too. Sure they all claim Type III HA finishes, but if they are, then Surefire is using something better.

Ive been a flashlight junkie way longer than Ive been old enough to own guns, and once I got my first Surefire, I just had to have more of them.

My current collection includes: SF G2, SF 9AN Commander (natural), SF 8AX Commander, SF G2LED, SF G2LED KX4, SF E1B Backup, SF LX2 Lumamax, SF X300, SF 660 weaponlight w/Malkoff M60, SF C2 (natural) w/Malkoff M61, SF Lawman, 47s Quark 123x2 Tactical R2, 47s Quark 123x2 Tactical, 47s Quark AA2 Tactical R5, 47s Quark AA2 Tactical X

If I were looking to spend $150-200 on a light right now, Id be looking at the Surefire EB1, LX2 or E2D Defender.

For a lesser cost light, the 4 Sevens are hard to beat....the Quarks that is. They can be had in AA configuration which can also be used with a 14500 lithuim rechargeable for a bit more output and smaller size, if you get the single AA body, or just get the single AA light to begin with, because it uses the same head as the 2xAA lights do, just at a lower output.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Because shooting a gun is more fun than walking around in the dark turning your light on and off?:D Just my guess.
    I'm not talking about fun, I'm talking about survival and self-defense.

If it were dark and I were going to get attacked by a knife (or gun) wielding thug I would be glad I spent $200 on a tactical light I knew I could rely on.

Top Bottom