• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Ok let me give some back story here first.

I have a little over 8 acres 4 of which are fenced for Horse pasture.

I raise chickens (currently have 25).

I live in BFE

Some new people bought the house about a half mile down the road I have met them he is not the sharpest tool in the shed they have a young child and 2 dogs. (herein lies my problem)

When I was thinning my strawberry plants in my garden I had about 40 that would make good starters so being neighborly I brought them over to them when I saw them outside. (was last week sometime) I made the mistake of scratching the dogs head while I was BSing with them.

Fast forward to Monday of this week, I go out in the AM to feed and water the chickens and horses and here comes the dog, I yell at him to go home and he sits down and looks at me like I am dumb.:n00b:

I finish my morning stuff go in the garage and find my old dog leash go and put it on him and walk him home. I knock on the door and explain where he was to the owner who also looks at me like I am dumb.:n00b:

I explain to him how I have chickens and horses and if the dog gets in with the horses they will stomp him and if he attacks my chickens I will stomp him. I ask him to please keep the dog chained. He looks at me like I a dumb :n00b: and says "sure no problem man, thanks for bringing him home."

Tuesday morning, guess who is outside waiting on me when i head out. Yep there is Fido.

Same deal bring him home yada yada yada.

I was at Wally world anyway that afternoon so I bought a long dog cable thingy with the ground anchor.

Wednesday morning, yep I am not gonna repeat myself. This time when i return him I offer the cable thingy. Owner says"WOW thanks man I have been meaning to get one of those."

I explain I do not want to call the Sheriff(we don't have animal control they take care of it) and that there is a leash law even out here in BFE. I tell him if I ever catch Fido in with my chickens I will not hesitate to protect my flock. Owner says"OK I swear we will keep him tied up."

This morning guess who is waiting on me? Yep!! I don't wanna kill this dog he seems like a great dog just has stupid owners. I pull my pistol and just discharge one into the ground in front of me. Fido runs home.

About 30 mins later the Sheriff shows up and says "Hey Mike good morning, your neighbors called and said you were shooting at their dog so I had to come out." I shoot with him and often have a cold tasty adult beverage together so he knows I wouldn't do anything stupid or dangerous.

We talk for awhile and he tells me he is going to go over there and explain the leash laws and that if I find the dog on my property I am within the law to handle matters as I see fit.

My problem is He seems like such a good dog he just has really stupid owners. How much more can I do HELL I bought them a dog tie thingy.:dunno:

I will protect my flock and my horses but it really bothers me that I may have to kill this poor animal that just doesn't know any better.

What more can I do and what would you do???

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I also have chickens and raise cattle and have a shot my fair share of dogs when i catch them chasing my chickens.I like dogs and have one of my one but no longer tolerate losing chickens to someone elses dog that they cant keep home.I used to shoot them with a bb gun first and if they come back then use something more lethal but not any more.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Hate to say it but some people have animals smarter than they are.Perhaps adopt the little guy ? If he is at your house every day,and you like him then maybe that is the answer.I would hate to kill a good dog.:twocents:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    May not be right, but what about making the dog disappear? Give him to good home far away. Play dumb about where the dog went. Must have run off when he wasn't on his leash.....

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Invest in a cheap paintball or airsoft gun. If you catch fido on the property, let him know he's not welcome there with a couple pellets or balls.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'd keep the damn dog. If I couldn't keep it permanently, I'd keep it till I found another home for it.

"Naw... don't know what happened to your dog. Sorry!"

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I agree with the adopt the dog theory. Get a bag of dog food and water and chain him up in your yard.

Other option would be to call animal control, have them take him then go adopt him yourself. Owner should get a fine as well.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Invest in a cheap paintball or airsoft gun. If you catch fido on the property, let him know he's not welcome there with a couple pellets or balls.
    Airsoft is a good idea. Make the dog understand it's not welcome on your property without killing the dog.

My parents had this same issue with a rather large husky mix. The dog would not stay away. Parents gave up and took the dog in. Started feeding him and taught him to stay away from the horses. He's one of the best dogs they've had.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Adoption sounds like a good idea but I don't need or want a dog that wonders, I have had dogs in the past that I let roam free and they knew where the property stopped and so did they, had one that chased a squirrel to the ditch line then sat there and cried like a baby cause the squirrel stopped about 20 ft away. I just don't have the time especially with an adult dog I would have to unlearn all the stupid from his current owners.

Airsoft and paintball are not an option I have spent enough money on that dog.

I thought about the disappearing thing but I really wanna keep it legal.

I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow morning when I was out to pen up the chickens I could here him whining so I assume he is chained up.

I think he gets one more freebie with another shot in the ground. If he is here tomorrow morning I will be taking a rifle with me for morning chores Sunday, I hate to do it but I don't see any other option.

As far as Animal control goes Mike(The Sheriff) and his guys are great LEOs but they sure as hell are not animal control by any means. They all have big hearts and don't wanna take away an animal from it's owner but I don't agree with that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm thinking, paint ball gun. Surely there's an ingo member in your area that could provide a loaner?

I would also suggest this line of reading;
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Get-Even-Complete-Dirty-Tricks/dp/0873641868/ref=pd_sim_b_4"]Amazon.com: Get Even: The Complete Book Of Dirty Tricks: George Hayduke: Books[/ame]
    I know there was a bad neighbors pets section in one of the books in this series.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    catch the dog take off the collar and take fido to a no kill shelter. if the owners dont want to obey the law then they will have to suffer the consequences. dont punish the dog for the owners mistakes. let the dog have a chance on finding a home that will take good care of it cause if the neighbors dont watch it, the dog might end up between a tire and pavement on the side of the road... i have seen that happen too many times. basically look at you self as the animal control and you would be solving the problem as you see fit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I don't want to sound naive, but it sounds like this dog has not yet posed any threat to the chickens. I haven't ever had chickens, so maybe its just something all dogs can't resist. I understand that once the dog eats your chickens it's already too late. My point is that maybe you don't have to "do" anything. Is it possible that this dog could show up and just hang out without hurting your flock?

Maybe I am being too naive, but I thought it was worth considering. From what you've said this dog sounds rather docile.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    He has not gone near the chickens but inn the morning when I go out there they are still in the coup so he doesn't have a chance, I have seen what a dog will do to my birds I lost 11 last year to a dog.
    I am worried he will get to them when I am not around or busy with other things around here.
    As for the no kill shelter they insist on a donation, I brought a stray cat and her 7 kittens that I found in my barn and they wanted to charge me 20 each.
    I am hoping it is solved already I was just out there because I heard a howling and wanted to check things out, I'll bet he is chained up, however I'll bet the poor bastard doesn't have any water.
    I wonder if they take care of their kid the same way... I hate stupid people!!

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Sounds like the dog and owners need to swap iq's. It always sucks when a dog has to be put down because of the owners. I have no problem if they are aggresive and go after my children but when they are nice like this one seems, what do you do. There are no-kill animal shelters for good dogs, and most are good shelters.

fenix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm with just about everyone else, I'd either adopt the dog or take him to a shelter.

I just don't really see a point in ending an animals life when they don't know/aren't doing anything wrong.
    If the dog was deranged, or tried to attack you or your animals, then by all means go ahead. Just don't let it suffer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    With all due respect, I don't think some of you are getting that this lovable mutt could wipe out all the chickens in a day. Chickens, that have time and money invested in them for a yield.

I had a Rot that was a big baby and loved everything alive. However, every time the cats were foolish enough to trust him and venture into the pen, they were found dead in that pen the next day. I'm positive the dog had no intention of killing them. It was just his way of playing; grab in mouth and shake around.

postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I say let your horses trampled all over his property and they prolly will **** on it too. Then see what he says about them. Hopefully he'll return you a favor for the dog chain and buy your horses a barn.

Top Bottom