• ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Dont read to much into any of this. Personal results and experiences may vary depending on what is in front of us. And yes the way it is installed is the absolute most important issue on the check sheet. Getting the right equipment put into your situation is critical.
    Noted ! :thumbsup:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So my understanding is Goodman is a cheaper brand but as someone else said most of the complaints are based on the install. Which is I have a guy telling me 3.5 ton outside and 4 ton inside and that doesn't make sense to anyone here.... maybe my guy is on the wrong side of the installer list. My problem is its like 90 in my house and I can't wait for 4 different outfits to come price it out. I am looking forward to talking to this guy in the morning and hope he gives me a better felling then the other guys did. Anyone know of anything I should be asking for sure? I say 4 companies because it seems most do not install everything but only one or two brands.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Based on what I know about my house I have about 2,600 sq feet spread out over 2 levels. I do have a full basement of about 1,110 sq feet but I don't think that goes into the equation or at least the first guy didn't make it sound like it. Also based on the specs from Goodmans website it looks like the 3.5 ton might be a little small but I do not know how much difference 400 sq ft makes. I do not understand why people quote out the cheapest version of something instead of asking what's important to me. I sell cars and I do not run to the cheapest or most expensive ones on the lot with someone I talk to them for 10 mis and find out what's important to them and select something based on that. I asked about a 2 stage and he said they cost more:wallbash:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So my understanding is Goodman is a cheaper brand but as someone else said most of the complaints are based on the install. Which is I have a guy telling me 3.5 ton outside and 4 ton inside and that doesn't make sense to anyone here.... maybe my guy is on the wrong side of the installer list. My problem is its like 90 in my house and I can't wait for 4 different outfits to come price it out. I am looking forward to talking to this guy in the morning and hope he gives me a better felling then the other guys did. Anyone know of anything I should be asking for sure? I say 4 companies because it seems most do not install everything but only one or two brands.
    Not being a turd here but you pushed it to 20+ years and yup, its gonna fail when its hot. Never fails. No knock as this is more common than you know.
    This guy may have this equipment in hand and needs to sell it. Not at all sure but some of the mismatched crap we have removed it makes you wonder. And no, Goodmans suck. I will never ever use one ever again. The Carrier engineer just stated they are under producers as to capacity in his controlled environment tests.
    Its your home/money and comfort. If you are shopping price this will take a minute. If you are desperate (and I get that) then do as you will but the miss-matched crap is an absolute no go for me. And I just retired with 57 years in the trade at all levels of activity.

Smoke-em if you got-em and your mileage may vary.

Best of luck to you.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I know it’s frustrating. The one size mismatched indoor coil was fairly common when I was designing units, so it’s not totally unexpected. I wouldn’t worry about that at the moment. If it were me, I’d go with a straight matched unit. Since your condenser is 3.5 ton, that is likely the size you need for your house, but I’d have the company do a cooling load just in case. Go with what you can afford, also depending how long you plan to keep the house. If you’re going to be moving in a few years, maybe you get a cheaper setup. If you’re there for the long haul, spend a little more for better quality. Make sure to ask about warranty…system and compressor, and whether it’s parts only or parts and labor.

UnknownOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2020
    West Indy
    Years back when my system failed and it was hot AF out, I threw a window a/c unit in the master bedroom to get us by until we could shop out a new system. Ideal? No. But it did allow my wife and I one comfortable room in the house for a couple weeks while we shopped/waited for installation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know it’s frustrating. The one size mismatched indoor coil was fairly common when I was designing units, so it’s not totally unexpected. I wouldn’t worry about that at the moment. If it were me, I’d go with a straight matched unit. Since your condenser is 3.5 ton, that is likely the size you need for your house, but I’d have the company do a cooling load just in case. Go with what you can afford, also depending how long you plan to keep the house. If you’re going to be moving in a few years, maybe you get a cheaper setup. If you’re there for the long haul, spend a little more for better quality. Make sure to ask about warranty…system and compressor, and whether it’s parts only or parts and labor.
    Well said sir.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The only complaints I have with Bryant (carrier) is double checking all their connections/wiring before start up. If you (installer) double checks everything it is decent equipment.

We often install a larger coil inside compared to outdoor unit. Usually to meet higher seer ratings for power company rebates. :-/

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Had ours replaced a few years ago. Went with a slightly less efficient unit, but had them make 2 zones. The upstairs has one thermostat and the main floor has one. Because of the poor attic insulation the upstairs is hotter in the summer ($4500 to suck out and reinsulate) and in the winter, the main floor is warmer as we burn wood. The dual zone keeps a more constant temperature upstairs and on the main floor. The hvac company has a good reputations and I went with the brand they carried-Rheem.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I too would throw a window unit or two on to get sleep. I have a portable in the garage that I would use. (Note: this is my oh crud plan if we are desperate in a grid down - solar will run it).

then the pressure is down.
    To add to the mix, there are mini split units that will run 3 head units.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    New carrier stuff i've dealt with is garbage. The old stuff was great.
    Haven’t really dealt with residential style units for 20+ years, so don’t know what they’re doing nowadays, but as I travel around and look at remodels for work, I do notice there are a lot of the old “cube” design units I worked on still banging along. Those units were Carrier/Bryant’s answer to the Goodman units. Then Payne became the lowest cost brand a little later. We spec mainly Trane equipment for the remodels because we can’t get a Carrier rep to ever call us back…

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only complaints I have with Bryant (carrier) is double checking all their connections/wiring before start up. If you (installer) double checks everything it is decent equipment.

We often install a larger coil inside compared to outdoor unit. Usually to meet higher seer ratings for power company rebates. :-/
    If TXV I can see this working.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It does work. We rated all our equipment with a one size up match for ARI. Sometimes our tested system was a mismatch to get SEER. Just how the game was played, I guess.

To clarify, we rated MANY indoor coils with one outdoor unit for ARI certification, including mismatched ones.
    And having enough pump to use all the coil helps as well.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    And having enough pump to use all the coil helps as well.
    That’s why we only did a one size up. At that time, we saw some doing 36/48 and the like…don’t recall who exactly. Of course I was back in the dark ages where 10 was the lowest efficiency you could have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That’s why we only did a one size up. At that time, we saw some doing 36/48 and the like…don’t recall who exactly. Of course I was back in the dark ages where 10 was the lowest efficiency you could have.
    I go much farther back than that my friend.

I guess some of this new search for a higher seer thing is new to me as my world was commercial/industrial for years and years. Thats where the money and the cool stuff to work on was. Always kept my hand in the residential side as friends and family had expectations when the "Knew" a guy. We used Goodman then as it was available and less expensive. When I stepped away from the rat race 10 years ago I was drawn into this side and have done a lot of work in the residential side since. A lot. Carrier was the deal then. But never experimenting with the mismatch thing. I want an out of the box deal that will pull the load. Carrier has been OK as a brand since getting away from Goodman.

Last edited:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Well this morning the other company will be here to let me see what they think. I was talking about getting one or two window units last night depending on the install window I can get.

Top Bottom