• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Fill a black balloon with food coloring of pink or red. Then shoot the tannerite. Least amount of chemistry needed.

Also have to agree with the dye not working, you're going to need something that when it oxidizes lets off blue color...which could be bordering on creating an explosive.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Fill a black balloon with food coloring of pink or red. Then shoot the tannerite. Least amount of chemistry needed.

Also have to agree with the dye not working, you're going to need something that when it oxidizes lets off blue color...which could be bordering on creating an explosive.

You dont think a lb. of powder around the tannerite would make a big enough cloud? Tannerite really doesnt make a lot of smoke. I'd think it'd make quite a big poof.

and I am not in the habbit of making works bombs or anything like that. I live in the center of town, so I'm not gonna get to test drive this. it'll be a one shot thing... i'll just pack so much coloring around it (powder, food coloring in water, all of it!) around it that it cant be mistaken

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    True, but if you add anything to add color...you're essentially mfg a firework that's fuse is a high speed projectile. And you posted it on the interwebs.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Zinc burns blue for the most part. Copper is a greenish color. I am drawing a blank on red and feel like an idiot bc it's on the tip o my tongue. grrr.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    True, but if you add anything to add color...you're essentially mfg a firework that's fuse is a high speed projectile. And you posted it on the interwebs.

I'm not putting anything that could projectile out, or that will burn or add to the explosion. If they look the other way for all of the videos of guys blowing up tires and buckets on the interwebs, I dont think I need to worry too much about a single puff of colored powder:D

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    I've tried bottles of chalk for a chalk line that I picked up at harbor freight for a $1 ea. They were ok. The white smoke cloud is still way bigger.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The flour one is winning right now. I highly doubt it would combust, I dont think Tannerite would create enough of a flame to get it going. It's worth a try!
    Flour will definitely burn, it's just a question of will the tannerite get it started? I know for a fact that tannerite will start common liquid flammables.

It says on the website that tannerite will not start anything on fire.
    See below

I think that is a legal CYA statement. I've seen first hand that it will ignite other chemicals that are in close proximity to it. A little gasoline / diesel fuel mixed in a bottle placed on top of the tannerite will create a nice fireball that looks a lot like a Hollywood movie special effect.

What tannerite won't do is set dry grass on fire, or other combustibles that are near it (unless you do the trick noted above).
    This ^^^ Tannerite + Gas/Diesel = Firebomb similar to special effects "explosions". As a matter of fact, as I was once told by a special effects artist/explosives technician when queried about the make-up of those fire-bombs I was told, "It's a vessel of hydrocarbon liquid driven by a charge of high-velocity explosive material". Which means, "it's a 20 oz. Mt. Dew bottle full of gas, diesel, or kerosene set off by some explosives".

:n00b: Tannerite is already an explosive. Under current state/federal law you are permitted to manufacture your own explosives, on-site, for immediate use. You cannot transport or store it, or use it in a manner that is irresponsible. Tannerite is legal in the form you buy it because it isn't considered an explosive until it's mixed. Adding color or anything else doesn't change this one bit. Adding a booster charge to "launch" it may put it into the realm of fireworks laws etc but adding color does not.

Ardo09203

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    Work, have any positive results come from this? I found this site by googling "Colored Tannerite" as we plan to do the same thing as Work did for a gender reveal.

Top Bottom