• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Has anyone ever tried coloring tannerite so when it is shot the cloud is colored?
    I was thinking some ground up chalk on top of the tannerite, after it's mixed, should kick up a nice cloud, but i've never tried, so I have no idea.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Never thought about trying that, but powder thrown in the "Festival of Colors" in India came to mind. Found this:
    How to Make Colored Flour for the Festival of Colors | eHow.com
    It takes a little time to make, and it flour based, so it might be combustible when airborne. It also looks like the most economical route. Give it a try sometime?

I did find some mineral-based pigments too that might work.
    Ultramarine Blue | The Earth Pigments Company

The flour one is winning right now. I highly doubt it would combust, I dont think Tannerite would create enough of a flame to get it going. It's worth a try!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The flour one is winning right now. I highly doubt it would combust, I dont think Tannerite would create enough of a flame to get it going. It's worth a try!
    I wouldn't count on that... but you're creating an explosion anyhow, so what difference would it make if it did? ;)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If you just wanted to make sure it would combust, you could use corn starch. That stuff goes up almost like gunpowder when it hits an open flame.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Well, the point is to be able to see the color. My wife and I are having our first child this fall, and this is how I am revealing the gender to my dad :D:rockwoot:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I'm not sure if you'll be able to color the smoke, but have you thought about putting a bag of colored confetti on top? Tissue paper shouldn't stick around too long before degrading.

As for flour and cornstarch, they will burn as long as you atomize them fine enough.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLFUlDv8n8M[/ame]

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    How about a water bottle / milk jug with died liquid in it. Put it on top of the tannerite and see what happens. The water won't burn obviously, but might give you the effect you want.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    HOBBY LOBBY sells dry powder water color paits that you have to mix...so the dry powder in blue or pink would make a good color splash!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Combustibles would just deflagrate and consume the dye with them, even intuition should lead you to this conclusion. Best bet would be using chemical additives to color it. Strontium for reds, etc. United Nuclear gives some neat kits that might work, but colored flour is not going to cut it.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'll have to try out the water color powder to see if it's flamable. one thing about the flower or other combustables, is that they do need an open flame or intense heat to ignite. Tannerite has a relitively high burn rate, which means a low flash time. If the flower is far enough away, the flame would not be around long enough to ignite it... however, I am leaning more towards either chalk or the water colors, as long as they dont catch on fire... but I may try the flower (without coloring) just to see what happens. y'know, in the name of science and all.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    KoolAid? Leave it powdered.

Of course, the best thing to do is try it all! You get the added bonus of getting to shoot a bunch of tannerite.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    how about some sidewalk chalk.....I would think it would be non-combustible and you could crush it to make a powder

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    It says on the website that tannerite will not start anything on fire.

This would kinda be my thought... the burn rate is so fast that it doesnt really create a flame... it's just expanding gas. either way, I'm not gonna take the chance with the "reveal" shot. but i'm going to try the flower on a later shot.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It says on the website that tannerite will not start anything on fire.

I think that is a legal CYA statement. I've seen first hand that it will ignite other chemicals that are in close proximity to it. A little gasoline / diesel fuel mixed in a bottle placed on top of the tannerite will create a nice fireball that looks a lot like a Hollywood movie special effect.

What tannerite won't do is set dry grass on fire, or other combustibles that are near it (unless you do the trick noted above).

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If you want cheaper test options you could try mixing something into a works bomb. I don't know how it would affect the reaction though.

Top Bottom