Need advice on how to deal with a situation involving my Mom....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    So my mom got into a BIG fight with one of her neighbors today. She has lived at this place for 23+ years and never had a cross word with anyone until today. She was outside and heard a dog in distress. Lots of pain. She went to investigate and found a man using a shock collar on the dog. She said he was continually shocking the dog under the guise of "training". They had very heated words, and he refused to tell her where he lived. Mom said the sound of the dogs pain was horrible. She thinks she should apologize. I said no, call the local animal shelter in the morning and see what they say. I told her she should have called the police, but she didn't. So, am I giving her good advice? Or should she apologize?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Not trying to be a douche, but perhaps he was training it for something. What kind of dog was it? Now while I don't like it, sometimes a shock collar is a way to save a dogs life. I have used them on Beagles and hated it every time.....it's like beating your kid. But as the old trainers use to tell me, it's better to teach them right from wrong then have them take off on a deer and run off and be lost or killed. I can't imagine ever using a shock collar in town, with neighbors...but I do know some of the bird dog guys do some pretty harsh training. As for your mom, I don't know....maybe she should let the guy know she didn't mean to get upset but she likes dogs and don't like seeing them mistreated. Perhaps he will educate her as to what he was doing and why....then she can make an educated decision on how to move forward.....I mean maybe the guy is an idiot and using it for something other than training, but without knowing for sure, why cause he and her problems.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    So my mom got into a BIG fight with one of her neighbors today. She has lived at this place for 23+ years and never had a cross word with anyone until today. She was outside and heard a dog in distress. Lots of pain. She went to investigate and found a man using a shock collar on the dog. She said he was continually shocking the dog under the guise of "training". They had very heated words, and he refused to tell her where he lived. Mom said the sound of the dogs pain was horrible. She thinks she should apologize. I said no, call the local animal shelter in the morning and see what they say. I told her she should have called the police, but she didn't. So, am I giving her good advice? Or should she apologize?

If he refused to tell here where he lives, how can she apologize?

I wouldn't apologize. I would have told him that if I saw or heard it again, I would be calling the authorities and reporting him for animal abuse.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it was my mother, I wouldn't want her risking her safety and ability to enjoy her home over a dog. If she wants to plant her flag on the issue and live with the repercussions, that's a choice SHE needs to make, not a bunch of strangers on the Internet who don't have to deal with the fallout. She knows the situation better than any of us. She's a grown woman. Let her make the call.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If he refused to tell here where he lives, how can she apologize?

I wouldn't apologize. I would have told him that if I saw or heard it again, I would be calling the authorities and reporting him for animal abuse.

Don't talk. Do.

If it appears to be abuse, call it in. He can explain it to animal control or the sheriff. Don't warn him.

He'll just do it where it won't be seen. Dog sees no benefit from advising him to hide it.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If it was my mother, I wouldn't want her risking her safety and ability to enjoy her home over a dog. If she wants to plant her flag on the issue and live with the repercussions, that's a choice SHE needs to make, not a bunch of strangers on the Internet who don't have to deal with the fallout. She knows the situation better than any of us. She's a grown woman. Let her make the call.

But then what are WE supposed to do all evening?!?

This could have taken several days to work through!

Top Bottom