• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Wilson case trimmer hands down for the most accurate, durable and versatile hand trimmer. I have 2 and have not wore them out yet unlike my RCBS.

Chuck

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Since I have decided on just 100 working brass for the .358 Hoosier and I will be doing 50 for a buddy, I thinking about just getting a plain Hornady hand turned trimmer.

The Hornady hand trimmer I have on the shelf, the handle comes off and you can hook a drill up to it. That would save you a bunch of time.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Guys, guys...you're over-thinking this! There are so many short 30 caliber cartridges out there; just buy a Lee case length gauge/trimmer for the 7.62x39 and carefully shorten the pin. Better yet, see if you can order one from Lee for the 300 Whisper. I'm sure they make it and that case is only about .030" longer, so it would be a piece of cake to shorten the pin.

I'm not sure you can remove over .200" from a case with a lee trimmer because I'm not sure that the end of the case length gauge will start out in the primer hole, and that might cause it to wobble a lot. You might have to do it in a couple steps if using Lee trimmers (one to take off .100, and the second one for the final trim?)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm not sure you can remove over .200" from a case with a lee trimmer because I'm not sure that the end of the case length gauge will start out in the primer hole, and that might cause it to wobble a lot. You might have to do it in a couple steps if using Lee trimmers (one to take off .100, and the second one for the final trim?)

Good point...for that much trimming you'd probably want to do a rough cut with a saw or high-speed cut-off wheel and then final trim with a more precise method. That is how I processed a bunch of 30 Herrett cases, a while back.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    They're not making the length gauge for the 300BLK yet as far as I can tell.

I've been considering one of those cheap mini-chop saws from Harbor Freight for $40 and then the Forster for the final trim.

That actually was my backup plan, but I still want to do the mini-chop saw thing rather than turn down that much brass for each shell.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this beast.
    <deleted>

Or a small chop saw like this.
    Bench Top Cut Off Saw
    This would get you close then finish it with a Forster trimmer.
    Original Case Trimmer

Yeah, too bad no one mentioned that option... :D

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    My Forster trimmer came in today so I had to play around with it even though the mini chop saw wasn't here yet.

It is decently built and easy to use. Forming 300 BLK brass took several pilot changes but that was simple and fast. Total time to make a 300 BLK case from .223 was about a minute and a half including sizing. I think the chop saw option will reduce that to 15-20 seconds including sizing.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    My mini chop saw came in today.

I just manufactured, loaded, and shot 5 rounds that I made from .223 brass and they all loaded and shot just fine.

The next step is to build a jig to hold the brass and then motorize the Forster and I'll be set up for full production. With the chop saw I was about 30 seconds for each piece, not including the time it took to set the Forster for the right trim to length. I was just eyeballing the brass with the chop saw and had it around 1.38 and 1.4" length. The jig will get it more accurate and faster. Something I have considered is a jig for a bandsaw to cut numerous pieces in one pass if I were going to manufacture them for sale.

Anyways, I had fun with it and it worked just fine.

Top Bottom